Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
November rambles

Well, it looks like many of you found the time in September and October to get out on the road to enjoy the fall color display. Not us. Nope, we waited until all the gaudy fling was past and then we hit the road this weekend to study Missouri mutely colored in sepia, taupe, water, and sky, sparked by deep maroon oak woods, an occasional cardinal, jay, or pileated woodpecker. Justifying our delay this fall, we reminded ourselves that sometimes it's the quiet pond cupping the sky with pure reflection that thrills us even more than a whitewater rapids or ocean waves. Well, . . .anyway, we headed out in Gypsy for a long weekend (and one long overdue!) at Bennett Spring SP, a nearby and favorite destination. It turns out that this was one of two weekends through the year when trout fishing is disallowed. I was set to be disappointed because I do love to fish, but when we pulled down into the valley where the spring branch runs and found we nearly had the state park to ourselves, we were amazed! Nowhere were the crowds of other anglers, the bumper to bumper cars, trailers, and motorhomes, the kids on bikes darting across the roads, the over all hum of hundreds of other nature and solitude seekers. This weekend is a best kept secret, and now I've given it away! Still wondering, we pulled into the single open campground area to find just one other tenting/Harley touring couple set up. We had our pick of all the other sites. Wouldn't you know, we drove through several, trying them on, making our pick! Through the weekend, maybe 7 or 8 units joined us, no other AS's, remarkably few campers for Bennett. The chill rain of the previous week had changed to a star spangled night sky, a sapphire day sky, warm sun, light breeze. . .far better than we could have planned. We loved our get-away for two. We drove country roads, "bought" a ranch along the river for our dreams, hiked the spring branch, spotted monster trout enjoying the haitus from the usual hail of hooks and flies, planned some more for retirement, sat and sat and sat by the campfire, toasted life with coffee and wine, and totally enjoyed one another's company. Our Airstream made it possible, this little November escape. Wherever we go with her, we are home. We had such an intensely good time that we didn't stay the four days we had set aside, but headed back late Sunday, satisfied, and ready at last to tackle the dreaded tasks of grading papers (me) and winterizing (he)since hard freeze is predicted later this week. Max worked hard today, and Gypsy is tucked in for the winter, unless the urge takes hold and we head out some sunny January weekend for camping primitive style! Well, sorry I wrote so much, but what a wonderful time we had with our Airstream. Only other Airstreamers might care! Is anyone out there brave enough for a Klondike rally in Missouri? Just kidding!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Amazing how similar in feeling, but different in execution our weekends went.
Ours was spent with good friends in Mexico, at a deserted beach at the shore of the Sea of Cortez. Fall and winter colors don't change much in the Baja California desert, other than the skies and clouds perform this flawless display of color-power, shading the sea as well as the desert floor. What a Life!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Fall trip

Maxandgeorgia,
Sounds like a genuine dream trip!! I have spent time at Bennet Springs in years gone by. Lovely place.
We spent a couple of weeks in the middle of Oct. at Beaver Lake in NW Ark. and a few more days at Norfork Lake in NCentral Ark. Had terrific weather. Sailed my little dinghy and enjoyed good food and the company of good friends. The sunsets were to die for.
Fall is and always will be my absolute favorite time of year!
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
WBCCI #2526
wyhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, Bill! I remember you telling us about camping at Beaver Lake at a very special campground. I came home from Moraine View and tried to find it on the web without success. We are planning to visit the Arkansas Ozarks next year and we'd love a link to this place if you are willing to share the info by this post or email. Thanks and good to hear about your fall camping too!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 11-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Beaver Lake

Hi Maxandgeorgia,
This site will provide info on this great place, altho I have mixed emotions about making it widely known.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common.../newindex.html

The nearby town of Eureka Springs is enjoyable as well. Lots of shops and good eateries. Be advised that the roads in and around Eureka Springs are challenging to say the least.

Maybe we'll meet up again next year at Moraine Bay??
WBCCI #2526
Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thank you, Bill. I am sorry that I put you in an awkward position about this camping area. I would have perfectly understood if you had chosen not to or had sent me info by email. But, I am very happy to know of the place. I think we owe you a big favor! -- maxandgeorgia
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 11-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Beaver Lake

Maxandgeorgia,
I was only half serious about my reluctance to advertise Beaver Lake.
Be advised that this area becomes quite crowded during the middle of October due to the craft fair held in nearby War Eagle Mill. This is a quaint little community known for its operating, water powered mill. You have to visit: see the mill, buy some fresh ground flour and eat at the Mill's restaurant and try their cornbread!!
WBCCI #2526
Old 11-13-2004, 04:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Maybe next year there will be two AS at Bennett...
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote