Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1997 34' Limited
Great Barrington , Massachusetts
Nova Scotia Planning

Just returned from the Montreal Jazz Festival and camping at Camping Allouette 20 mins. from the city. Super event! Border crossings can be lengthy affairs (2.5 hrs. northbound at I-87) and used a tip to try the secondary crossings nearby. It worked great.

Planning now to go to N.S. and perhaps some PEI in the couple of weeks before the Region 1 Rally in NH. Thinking maybe 2-3 weeks overall.

Any travellers with tips on good campgrounds with gorgeous scenery, must see or must do attractions. Looking to see the area and take our time enjoying it. If you've been and loved something, drop me a line.

Thanks,

Nick
WBCCI#3528
nickvansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Nick -

We stayed at the KOA in Upper Sackville (Near Halifax) last year - a pretty nice place and not too expensive.

A MUST see is Peggy's Cove outside of Halifax - bring lots of film.
Fishermans' cove is also a nice place to visit.

Bring LOTS of money for gas - I'm not sure what you're pulling, but we got 11-12 mpg and it was 1.12 per liter last year - it can only be highr this year.

HAve a GREAT trip!

steve & susan

2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
So what did you think of Camping Allouette? I've never been there, but Montreal is on our list of places to go and I'm always interested in another Airstreamers campground review.

Don't have any recommendations for you for PEI or Nova Scotia, but I'll be watching to see what others might know about camping there. I've been to both islands in my pre-Airstream days and would love to go again with our new Bambi. I hope you'll post a trip report (with pics) .

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Spent 18 days on the road last month visiting Main, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia. Briefly here are my opinions:
Gas is expensive, roads and campgrounds were good, we had a lot of rain, and the people are helpful, honest and friendly. I’m not used to the higher added taxes for almost everything. However purchases over $50.00, and all lodging and campgrounds are tax refundable after you mail in the receipts. The bridge/Ferry in and out of PEI cost $93.00 for my just over 40 foot Van and 25’ Safari rig.

We stayed at Parlee Beach, CG in Shediac, NB; Vacation Land RV Park in Brackley Beach, PEI; Bras D’Or Lakes CG at Baddeck, NS; and Ponderosa Pines CG, (near Hopewell Rocks) in NB. Also dry camped at Blackwoods CG in Acadia NP on Mt. Desert Island, Maine.

The older car ferry “Scotia Princess” between Portland, ME and Yarmouth, NS is no longer in service. The “CAT” which is faster and much more costly, makes the run less frequently.

We toured the southern part of NS a few years ago, so this time we limited out Nova Scotia travels to the Cape Breton area. Although the Cape Breton is nice and interesting with wildlife good scenery, we liked the southern parts better. If we plan another trip, I would limit my travels to the southern part of NS and spend a minimum of two weeks there during the spring or fall.

Enjoy it & Good luck.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Being a resident,I would suggest a visit to the southern parts of Nova Scotia in September-October.As previously mentioned,Peggy's Cove is a must see for many a vacationer.I would also suggest Lunenburg,a World Heritage Site,home of the world renouned schooner Bluenose and a community rich in architecture and history.I'm a little biased having grown up there.
Gas price today is $1.15 a litre.
Another advantage of visiting in the fall is being able to witness the fall colors as the leaves on the trees change before the onset of winter.

Hope you enjoyed your visit JStanley.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1997 34' Limited
Rapid replies!

Thanks for the information and tips. Did a quick fuel cost based on estimated mileage...whew! So the trip may be a bit shorter than originally conceived.
Would love to travel Fall/Spring, but summer is the time for teachers to get out and about.

J- Allouette is as nice as advertised with world-class facilities (RV wash, repair, St Cyr Sales next door, etc.) For my taste it is not very scenic. Be sure to ask for a shaded/wooded site if possible. Lots of transients are in the sunshine. Proximity to Montreal is a real plus.

Best to all, Nick

Nick
WBCCI#3528
Old 07-06-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
One more thing to see if you get a chance - Whale Watching in the Bay if Fundy! Wonderfule trip - if you aren't prone to sea-sickness. Also a very good opportunity to see the tide move in and out of that area. Go online and read about it - up to 40+ feet of difference.

steve
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Nick -- If you get to PEI, I really enjoyed the New Glasgow Lobster Supper, and the Prince Edward Island Preserve Company for a taste of the island. I was there about 15 years ago but it looks like both places are still going strong.

Thanks for telling us about Allouette!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
To find out more about Lunenburg and the surrounding area check out this site www.lunenburgns.ca

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Stop in for visit

Nick,
We have a cottage on PEI and spend summers up here. The cottage has been in the family for 36 years. We now live in Tenn except for the summers. Would enjoy a visit if you have time or the inclination. We are located on the North Shore in Rusticoville right on Rustico Bay. PEI is the type of place you really don"t have to make plans until you get here, except maybe cg reservations. If you make your first stop here we will fill you in on what your options are since they are numerous. Except for Cananda Day (July 1) things are never to busy that you can't participate. Your first stop should be to the information center right after crossing the bridge where you can pick up maps and info on the island. There is parking for rv's.
If you're interested, you can pm us for directions and more info. We got here last week and so far, besides opening up the cottage, we've been to the drive-in movies twice, a play (The Odd Couple), an auction, a couple of fish-n-chips dinners, Canada Day parade and festival and today we're going strawberry picking so we can make our own jelly.
We love company,
Gregg & Cyndi Halpin
Old 07-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
If you're still looking for suggestions...

We were there in late April '04 and had a great time. The most cost efficient way to get across for us was to take the ferry out of St. Johns, NB. You'll end up saving money going across instead of up and over. Remember that the ferry schedule is on Atlantic time zone. The ferry place let us boondock camp in the waiting line, as we had missed the last one of the day. We based ourselves in Lunenberg- they have a great town campground at about the highest point in town. It overlooks the harbor and costs something like $18 a night with hookups. I can't remember if it had sewer hookups at our spot- I think it did. The campground is run by the visitor center which was really helpful for the whole area- we just did day trips from there to save gas. The roads across Nova Scotia were really very bad. One of those situations where you decide your Airstream can either take anything, or is about to lose its wheels. It was a great experience, and we'd love to go back sometime.

Brad
Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1997 34' Limited
Hawaiian condition

Brad,

Thanks for the info. After considerable planning and initial preparation, we're putting the maps in the box for next year. i seem to have come down with the dread Hawaiian affliction "Lacka moola." Some income expected for august has been delayed, so we're looking at a few days in Maine/NH before the Alumination in Rochester.
But no preparation is ever wasted. It's just a matter of waiting for the implementation.

Nick
WBCCI#3528
Old 08-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
late on the post,
but I was in Nova Scotia last week, I do live on PEI, and we had a good time on the south shore.
Lunenburg is beautifull, Mahoney Bay is really nice too. The north shore provide high price, and we were not that happy about the scenic.
But good point, in a week we saw 7 airstreamers, and we met 5 of them.
Always nice to meet people who share the same passion.
On PEI, there's a nice provincial campground, Cedar Provincial Park (West Point, amaizing red cliffs), right on the red sand beach, and the lighthouse, and close to my place to... So for a nice BBQ... there's room.
To head up to PEI, I think the bridge is the best, no fee on your way in, you pay when you live, and with my 27' it's 54$ can.
Right now I am in Montreal at Alouette Campground, you'll find everything you need, really close to the city, but make sure to ask for site up to the woods, otherwise you'll be right on the highway 20.
You have on site internet access (wifi, high speed)...
Come fast I feel alone now after a week in Nova Scotia...
We wanted to join the NH rally, but I have to finish some work here, so we're stuck.
Give us a taste of a rally, we're sad not to be abble to go...
david from alouette, site 311 till August 20... at least.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Safari65
We were there in late April '04 and had a great time. The most cost efficient way to get across for us was to take the ferry out of St. Johns, NB. You'll end up saving money going across instead of up and over. Remember that the ferry schedule is on Atlantic time zone. The ferry place let us boondock camp in the waiting line, as we had missed the last one of the day. We based ourselves in Lunenberg- they have a great town campground at about the highest point in town. It overlooks the harbor and costs something like $18 a night with hookups. I can't remember if it had sewer hookups at our spot- I think it did. The campground is run by the visitor center which was really helpful for the whole area- we just did day trips from there to save gas. The roads across Nova Scotia were really very bad. One of those situations where you decide your Airstream can either take anything, or is about to lose its wheels. It was a great experience, and we'd love to go back sometime.

Brad
Just returned from Lunenburg and checked out the town campground at the visitor center.To update some information,full hookups with sewer are available for $27 something a night plus tax.Right now there is a fantasy caravan parked there so it was pretty full.
The Bluenose,a famous schooner is usually docked in Lunenburg for most of the summer and cruises are highly recommended.At this time,the Bluenose is in Mahone Bay for The Wooden Boat Festival and then sails to Halifax/Dartmouth but will be returning to port later this month.
There have been some improvements made to several roads in the province this summer and its an ongoing project.
Temperatures expected would be 70's and 80's although we just came through quite a spell of hot and muggy weather.
Gas prices today are $1.22 per litre

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083