Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
For a little adventure, and about a 5 mile long gravel road, be sure to go to Meat Cove at the north tip of Nova Scotia. Magical. Cool campground (no hook-ups).
Meat Cove was beautiful. We drove in our car and spent part of the day then went back to our motel.

Haven't been out East for several years - hope to return soon. Wonderful driving roads out there (for sporty cars - not RVs!).

20070709_0005 by walk0080, on Flickr

Cabot Trail was great - weather was cool so no crowds or traffic when we visited. We walked the Skyline Trail and from the end vantage point we saw eagles above and whales below.

We loved PEI.

NS and PEI scenery always stunning, most people incredibly friendly.

Halifax, NS is a wonderful city to visit. Lots of great restaurants and things to do.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Sbb,

In the case of the WALMART mentioned, at Sherbrooke, Quebec, I took the car off because we were there for three days.

When just overnighting the MINI was left on the rig.

I use past tense because HEATH and MARY BOYER of Windham, Vermont became the new owners of the splendid rig last September.

Maybe they'll be heading for Newfoundland come spring or summer.

Sergei

Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We are planning on taking our 25' 2009 classic to NS and the ferry over to NF in July of this year. I don't like making reservations due to we have to be somewhere on time then. Can we do this trip though NS and NF without? How about the ferry over to NF from NS, do we need to make reservations, did you book a cabin or just a seat? Its looks like it only 6 to 8 hours on the ferry.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Reservations from North Sydney, NS, to Port aux Basques, NF, are recommended during the short summer traveling season. Trip takes 5 to 6 hours. There's another ferry N. Sydney to Argentia on the east coast of NF, a longer ferry trip and only in the summer. I know little about it except reservations are also recommended. I don't like having to make reservations because I feel tied down, but sometimes it is what you have to do. A 3rd option is a ferry from Ste. Barbe on NF's Northern Penn. to Quebec. It is a short trip and that's all I know.

The first one seems to be the most commonly used.

For more on NF, see this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nb-127682.html

Gene
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Julie Bob,

For North Sydney to Port aux Basque you don't need a reservation unless you are the type of people who worry without one.

I don't like the stress of having to be somewhere at a certain time.

If you miss a sailing you can hang around the docks for the next one. That's part of the fun of trailering.

Sergei
Old 02-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Nova Scotia & PEI

Hi,
I wanted to resurrect this thread as we are planning to spend this summer in Eastern Canada. Having followed this discussion since 2014 and never before traveled to Canada, I am looking forward to enjoying the adventure. The previous Airforum members trip logs and tips will help guide our travels but I'm sure I will have many additional questions.
We most often travel without advance reservations and hopefully we can spend several months this summer exploring leisurely through the Maritime provinces, NS, NB and PEI.
Looking forward to more ideas & tips!
Thanks in advance,
FCloud9
Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Eastern Canada and maritimes

Last year we spent three months in NS, PEI,NB, NF, etc. and it was wonderful. Look on the WBCCI caravans website and read the itineraries of the Viking Trail and NE caravans to get good ideas. Two fun things often overlooked are "Tea with Eleanor" at Campobello Island, and the RV park at St.Andrews right on the ocean front. "Anne of Green Gables" play on PEI is very good as are the potatoes and scallops there. Do not be intimidated by the rather long and pricey ferry to Newfoundland as that is a magnificent destination full of friendly and generous people. Another surprise was the Corning NY Glass museum...astonishing to say the least. There are great farmers' markets in that part of the world, and not always on weekends. We, too, travel expectantly and hopefully, usually without campground reservations, BUT have them for the Fourth of July holiday. It is also fun to visit the small community churches on Sundays and they are good sources of tourist ideas. Travel safely and see you DOWN THE ROAD. Garretts
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi Rjack,

Thanks for the eastern Canada information. I was hoping someone would respond with experience traveling without reservations. We are usually very diligent planners but since we purchased our 2014 20' FC, we enjoy traveling with more spontaneous attitude which somewhat enhances the adventure. I did already review several commercial itineraries and WBCCI Caravans. We usual travel at least three months continuous in the summer.
What time frame was your three month trip?

How far in advance did you book the ferry? We have a new puppy....need to explore all ferry options with regards to most efficient & least stressful for new pup.

Which resources for finding campgrounds did you find most helpful?

Did you find sufficient options to resupply groceries?

We often carry enough supplies for 3-4 weeks except for fresh fruits/vegetables and seafood. We very experienced with regards to all types of camping- state/provincial parks, boondocking w. generator, Walmart pkg. lots on occasion.

Thanks in advance,
FCloud9
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
The thought of visiting relation at Nine Mile Lake in NS just crossed my mind today. We have been watching the cable show about Oak Island, and that is only 30 min away.
My concern is the ferry cost to & from Maine with a 27', 7 ton motorhome. I am hoping it will save the same amount in fuel taking the long way?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carriere , Mississippi
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and PEI

We made our maiden trip in our 25' Airstream last year to the maritime provinces http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ke-153547.html. Like others have said regarding the ferry from North Sydney, we just drove up to the toll booth, the noon ferry was full so we made the evening cruise same day. Very nice adventure. Coming back, we called 1 day in advance of the cruise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601-2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	280391
Fortress Louisbourg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_Louisbourg is a little south of North Sydney and a nice visit. It is a partial recreation of a 1713 French fortress. Here is the chapel inside the fortress.

Name:	IMG_1169-2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	280392

.........and the brig

Name:	IMG_1168-2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	280395

Alma,N.S. is in the Bay of Fundy and next to the National Park.

Name:	IMG_1713-2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	280397

Scallop boat in Alma at low tide

Name:	IMG_1683-2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	280393

My favorite place for scenic photography is in Gros Morne National Park, NL. I think this picture is near Norris Point.

Name:	IMG_1251-2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	280394

Enjoy your adventure,

Joel
Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi Joel,

Thank you for the link to your 2016 trip report! I really enjoyed reading your adventure and looking at the great photos. We have not firmed up our exact travel dates but expect to spend 2-3 months exploring NS, PEI, NB and Labrador. We really prefer to Airstream travel without specific reservations to allow flexibility. Right now we are devouring the travel routes, National and Provincial Parks and studying ferry options. Many have recommended reserving ferry ahead of departure.
Thanks for the wonderful trip report,
Sharon & Nick
Old 02-25-2017, 05:25 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Following...
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We've been to PEI many times (my mother's family is from there) as well as the rest of the Maritimes. I've only been to Newfoundland once, in 1969, so we're planning on a visit this year.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I think the brig pic above is actually the guard shack. The brig looks much worse.

I spent the first 23 years of my life in Nova Scotia. Every summer of that involved coping logistically with the usual tourist crush. It's iffy, the idea of going to NS in a spontaneous frame of mind and with few reservations. It would probably be fine if you're talking about shoulder season, but if you're at the height of the summer, expectations should be managed carefully. Nova Scotia has to make close to 100% of its annual tourist revenue inside less than 20% of the annual calendar. The best venues sell out months in advance.