Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Icebergs! Icebergs comes from the north, float down the Labrador coast and then around both sides of Newfoundland. The Titanic was sunk by one of them off Nfld and NS.

Some years more, some years less, but you should be able to see some. They call the small ones "bergy bits", a phrase I've never been able to say out loud.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Some of our favorite places to visit and tour are the Eastern Canadian Provinces. We spent a month back in the mid 80's with our 66 Overlander traveling through Maine, New Brunwick (Bay of Fundy NP was wonderful, bought lobsters from fishermen on the docks). Attended the International Gathering of the Clans in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Had a great time in Louisbourg NP. The living history fort was a blast. Cape Bretton NP is a must do and one of the most beautiful on the East coast (my opinion). We spent much of our time exploring small towns with really cool names like Antgonish, Tadamagouch, etc. We really wanted to ferry across to Newfoundland but the high cost of the ferry was not in our reach at the time. On our way back to Michigan we took the Northern route through New Brunswick up to the St. Lawrence. We then went South along the sea way through many neat small towns. We crossed over to Quebec City and then down through Montreal and Northern Ontario. Throughout the entire trip the people we met were simply wonderful.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I wanted to add a bit to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Halifax is another city on a wonderful harbor. It has a good museum where among other things you can learn about massive explosion that leveled a good part of the city during WW I when a ship full of munitions blew up in the harbor. Halifax seemed like a nice place to live.
We camped at Porters Lake Provinical Park; it's about 40 minutes from downtown Halifax. Halifax has lots of great places to eat (and some nice outdoor gear stores); we went into the city twice for dinner. I agree that it seems like a nice place to live.

Quote:
There's a national park (Fundy NP) in NB east of St. John. I've never stopped there, but I think there's camping where you will be close to the Bay.
We camped here at Headquarters campground. Decent campground although a bit less private than we'd like. Very steep towing down into the campground. You can walk into Alma, a small lobstering village on the Bay of Fundy, but there isn't much other civilization around. We did the fresh lobster thing. The main goal here was to kayak around nearby tidal Hopewell Rocks; two hours before we paddled around them we were walking on the sea floor next to them.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Canadian Kids: We enjoyed your blog. Noted your Big Bend photo. I camped there at least twice a year for twenty five years.
Sorry to change the subject on my own thread.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Signal Hill: There is a narrow passage into the harbor at St. John's. That was a good thing in WW II. The harbor is protected from the seaside by hills, and Signal Hill is on the north side. There's a lighthouse up there now, but long ago there was a building (I think it had been a hospital) where Marconi sent the first transatlantic radio message.

When we were there it was cold and foggy, so the view was somewhat limited, but still wonderful. Sometimes you can see icebergs float by.

Part way up the hill is a hotel with great views from the rooms. We stayed there in 2004. The place was getting rundown.

St. John's has been settled for many hundreds of years and the old town surrounds the harbor and is pretty interesting. There are suburbs that look like everywhere else. Close to the harbor we ate at a good Chinese restaurant, but it's too long ago to remember the name. I had to get something fixed at the Toyota dealer and they bent over backwards to help, something that a lot of big city dealers don't do. In fact when I discovered the problem, I stopped at a dealer in Gander and he figured out what was wrong (no charge) and called the St. John's dealer, they had the part overnighted from Halifax and it was waiting for me when I got to St. Johns.

I think it been mentioned, but there's a bird sanctuary near St. Mary's, sort of south of St. John's. I'd seen it on one of those PBS wildlife programs. There was only one other car when we were there, so we had it to ourselves. You can look down many hundreds of feet to the Atlantic and see countless birds. Some are the ones that wrap their necks around each other. I think those are gannets.

The closed place to Europe in North America is south of St. John's—maybe 20 miles. There are WW II fortifications there if you want to explore what those were like.

More things will come to me.

Gene
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Hello: I see that there are no recent posts. I am planning a trip to Newfoundland in late Aug and early Sept this year. I have read the posts and it seems to be a great adventure. A few questions for the group. Are dogs welcome in general? Also, is water and pumpout a problem? I am hoping to stay out of commercial campgrounds for the most part, but if i need to use one for pumpout avery few days that is fine too.

Has anyone taken any of the boats along the south coast? I realize that the rig must stay behind. Any thoughts, suggestions etc will be very welcome.
Doug
DougHart352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Provincial Historic Site <== this is "places to go" in NL

Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada <== this digs deeper into the touristy side of the Province.

And don't forget Labrador. It's the big, triangular shaped part of Canada at the top right of the main mass of land. It serves to stop boats from bumping into Québec.

Provincial Parks of PEI - Prince Edward Island <==where you can camp with your TT

Newfoundlanders are very dog-friendly. In fact, the Province even has it's own breed of dog, the Newfoundland, oddly enough. They are easy to mistake for small bears, until you see the endearing, playful look in their eyes. Bears, not so much.

Both the dogs and the human inhabitants of the island are affectionatly called "Newfies", and are known for a twangy, Irish-liltish accent. The humans that is.

It does appear pricey to take your TT over on the ferry, and it isn't obvious (to me) exactly how to price it out. Get your dimensions (total length of both vehicles, trailer height) and call the number on their reservation site to have an accurate idea of how much.

I have personally never been to NL, only the nearby Provinces (NS, NB, PEI), but anyone that I have spoken to LOVED Newfoundland.

Have a great trip! Oh, and don't be afraid to call the help numbers indicated in the Provincial sites I listed. I have done this many times, and always find them to be answered by very friendly, helpful, and patient people.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I'll post later today or tomorrow to answer your questions.

Don
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
In my Junior year of high school, 1968, my best friend and I sat in the back of the classroom (I forget the subject!) and looked through the old National Geographics that were stored there. Looking at an article about Newfoundland we read: "the Straight of Belle Isle, icebergs can be seen there...". We decided to drive his Karman Ghia there that summer. It was a terrific trip - even if the locals did drive by our campsite all night to get a glimpse of the hippies. When we approached some fishermen to take us in their boat to see some icebergs up close we didn't get any takers.

Later we decided to drive to Alaska, which we did in 1971.

Last year my wife and I drove back to AK (we've flown there several times) and this year we are going to PEI. My mother's family was from PEI and we used to go every year until my grandmother died and that was before the bridge and before our Airstream.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
We visited Maritimes last summer - great. Did not go to Newfoundland - too $$$. We LOVED PEI. If you go there, stay at Bayside RV - owned by 2 great Airstream guys - get AS discount. You will love it there and be treated special. From there you can visit the entire island. Make sure to go to a keileigh (sp?) at Braxton Beach - super music and fun.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Streamer View Post
Make sure to go to a keileigh (sp?) at Braxton Beach - super music and fun.
It's spelled "Céilidh" and means "gathering". Usually involves dramatic amounts of alcoholic beverages.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
They built a highway around the coast of Labrador recently so you could travel far north to places few ever see. I doubt there are any campgrounds, but check.

Contact Newfoundland tourism. Their maps and tourist books are very good (or were in 2004).

People used to camp in the gov't gravel pits. At some point years ago they tried to close them, but the uproar made them open them again. They might still be available.

Give yourself plenty of time. It is bigger than you think. Prepare for really bad weather. It wasn't too bad when we were there, but it can be.

Gene
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unless you have more than a month do not consider any of the lower Maritime Provinces for other than short overnights. They will still be thee for next year.

Make your reservations for the ferry both ways as early as possible. You don't want to be stuck in the overflow line.

The ferry to Labrador is easy on so no reservations required. Battle Harbor off Labrador is a great trip for a day. Picture below along with the statue, the whale and the ship, at the entrance to L' Anse Aux Meadows National Park.

I should mention that if you plan to go to Labrador Wal Mart, up there, sell mosquito jackets there are a must.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58 Ship Whale Monument.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	158377   Click image for larger version

Name:	84 Battle Harbor Ferry.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	158378  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We visited Nova Scotia and PEI last fall. Loved both, and want to go back with our Airstream. Ventured into NB only far enough to take the bridge onto PEI. BTW - it's free to get onto the island, but costly to drive off. We took the ferry to NS instead and headed to Cape Breton. We'd love to get to Newfoundland and Labrador. Unbelievably, it's further to there from the Chicago area than it is to Vancouver BC. I guess it's good to be centrally located, but.....sheesh. It's funny, on NS we were told not to bother with PEI - nothing but sand. At the tourist bureau at the foot of the bridge to PEI, we were told not to bother going back to NS - more to do in NB. It's all beautiful, but we found food and lodging to be more pricey than expected - good reason to take your own!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Thanks to all for the thoughts and advice. I will keep planning. The weather sounds like it can be a challenge. Wet dogs and and Airstream are not the very best combination. We shall see. Doug
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
It's funny, on NS we were told not to bother with PEI - nothing but sand. At the tourist bureau at the foot of the bridge to PEI, we were told not to bother going back to NS - more to do in NB. It's all beautiful, but we found food and lodging to be more pricey than expected - good reason to take your own!
Of the Maritime Provinces PEI is the most beautiful and Newfoundland is the most adventurous. You were sold the biggest bill of goods since the Brooklyn Bridge.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I wonder what happened to the OP—did he go? Did he tell anyone about it on another thread?

Gene
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHart352
Hello: I see that there are no recent posts. I am planning a trip to Newfoundland in late Aug and early Sept this year. I have read the posts and it seems to be a great adventure. A few questions for the group. Are dogs welcome in general? Also, is water and pumpout a problem? I am hoping to stay out of commercial campgrounds for the most part, but if i need to use one for pumpout avery few days that is fine too.

Has anyone taken any of the boats along the south coast? I realize that the rig must stay behind. Any thoughts, suggestions etc will be very welcome.
Doug
Doug,

Greetings from the Rock! We are still new to Airstreaming, this being our first trailer of any kind. All our outdoor adventures up to the arrival of the aluminum tube have been of the canoe and tent variety. I will do my best to answer your questions however.

The weather is normally very pleasant in late August / early September, although a bit cool in the evenings. Not sure how to express the temperature in imperial units, and metric may not be much help to you, so I would characterize it by saying you can still wear shorts during the day and a sweater / jacket and pants at night. The mosquito's are effectively over by mid August so unless you travel north toward Labrador you shouldn't get eaten. Most of the whales will have migrated by then, and icebergs will be rare, even on the north coast.

I have not heard of a campground that was not welcoming to pets. This is after all the home of the Newfoundland dog and the Labrador retriever. The only rules I've come across are the common ones - keep them on a leash and pick up after them.

As far as I am aware, every park has at least centralized water and a dumping station. The majority of our stays have been in the two national parks (Gros Morne and Terra Nova) and several provincial parks. They all have serviced and non-services camp sites. Services will either be full (30-50amp, water, sewer) or partially serviced which is usually just water and power. There are a variety of commercial campgrounds as well. The cities of St. John's and Corner Brook each have great municipal campgrounds with full hook-ups. I've stayed in both and would recommend them.

I met up with a WBCCI caravan as they were touring Newfoundland last summer. They mostly stayed at commercial campgrounds, some of which I had never even heard of. I understand they had a great experience. I can PM you the contact details of the caravan leaders if you wish. They would have good information on these places.

The South Coast - now that is adventurous. Not that long ago it was possible to travel the entire southern width of the province by coastal boat, putting in at every community to deliver the mail and supplies to the landlocked villages. Some of the communities are linked with a road now, so the boats only service the places in between. It should still be very interesting though. I see you enjoy photography so take your camera, as the vistas should be stunning. The easiest access would be to leave the AS at J.T. Cheeseman provincial park near Port-aux-Basques and drive east to the ferry at Harbour le Cou. You can probably take a day trip on the boat to La Poile Bay and see Lapoile and Grand Bruit (pronounced Grand Brit). There is a restored stone lighthouse in Rose Blanche that may be interesting to photograph. Last time I was there it was still a ruin.

The Harbour le Cou ferry trip is probably nice, but for just a bit more fuel I would go for the Burgeo run. Burgeo is a three hour drive (on a paved secondary highway) from the Trans Canada highway about two hours north of Port-aux-Basques. Sandbanks provincial park in Burgeo is situated on the ocean and very scenic, according to friends of ours who camped there last summer. From Burgeo you have the option to take the coastal ferry to the island of Ramea, where there are B&B's if you wish to stay the night. The ferry continues on from Ramea to Grey River and Francois, and then backtracks to Burgeo. The coastal scenery is by all accounts spectacular - rugged, mountainous and alive with nature.

On the eastern side of the south coast there are two similar ferry runs - one in Fortune Bay and one in Bay D'espoir. I don't know much about these or that area in general, but can ask around if you like. It would be a bit of a drive to get there from the Trans Canada.

Several others have submitted posts describing places to visit and things to see in the province, and they were very kind in their descriptions. For some reason we seem to get the nicest tourists.

If you have any specific questions about planning your trip feel free to PM me - I'll help if I can. Hope you have a memorable visit!

Don
Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Don thanks for the thorough response. Remind me what "PM" means and i will,contact you. Your description of temperature using shorts in the daytime is great. I am pretty fluent in Celsius. Doug
Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
We rarely stayed in RV parks, finding lots of places to camp along rural areas. People will stop to talk to you; friendliest people I've ever seen.
RV parks were typical of anywhere else. We used them to take on water and dump.
It was a great trip.
We went "early" to go to the "Iceberg Festival" in St. Andrews and it was a disappointment, as was the fact that we were too early for icebergs, only seeing two. Once we got home I looked on my iceberg tracker site and there were a plethora of them all along the places we'd visited. We should have planned to be there late June instead of early June. But it was still, all in all, a wonderful trip. We got a kick out of being closer to Europe than our home in South Texas. As we say here in Texas, "It's a fur piece to go."
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eastern canada, newfoundland, nova scotia, travel