Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Nova Scotia

Anyone heading north to Nova Scotia this year? Trying to get there for a few weeks in June. If anyone has recommendations of places to stay or go to, I’ll take that. If anyone is heading up there and want to caravan, I’ll take that too.

Let me know!
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Anyone heading north to Novi Scotia this year? Trying to get there for a few weeks in June. If anyone has recommendations of places to stay or go to, I’ll take that. If anyone is heading up there and want to caravan, I’ll take that too.

Let me know!
We went last fall...sept- October..stayed at Pictou....Harbor lights cg and made day trips from there...the ferry to PEI is free...the park up north is well worth seeing...but without the trailer ...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lots of earlier threads/posts about Nova Scotia FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nova...com&gws_rd=ssl

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg!
Do the loop road of the Cape Breton Highlands.
You could tow the Airstream, but I'd leave it in Baddeck and drive, stay overnight half way. There's plenty of accommodations.

June? Beware the black flies in the interior.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bay of Fundy watch the tide change over 35 ft in six hours. We stayed in Moncton If you go over to PEI we took the ferry [emoji925] to PEI and drove back over the bridge.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I lived in Maine for a while and traveled the Maritimes and Quebec extensively, though I was backpacking at the time and was not looking out for RV-friendly routes.

I loved the Bay of Fundy National Park and have hiked pretty much every trail there. It has something for everyone and the tide is amazing. Have fish and chips in Alma.

Kejimikujik National Park in NS was also a highlight. I hiked and did a short canoe trip that was arranged by the park service (back then they would drop off and pick up canoes—amazing!) but if you like canoeing or kayaking it is supposed to be even more incredible.

One of my best friends lives on PEI so I go there regularly still. The parks there are nice but I don’t think they do RVs. Plenty of private places do though and it’s an idyllic, eccentric, and wonderful corner of the world. Go to the farmers market in Charlottetown on Saturday and get some Mussels for super cheap from one of the mussel processing facilities. Also lots of good restaurants out in the countryside.

And of course, Cape Breton Highlands National Park can’t be missed. There is a trail there that has the word Fishing or Fisherman’s in its name and it brings you out to a bluff. I have fond memories of coming back to my campsite from trout fishing, drinking espresso made over my campstove and watching whales one morning. Crazy beautiful place, and I hope to take my kids there someday. The loop around the park is gorgeous, but as with many coastal/mountain scenic drives, the driver will ideally see a lot less than the passengers because they will be paying attention.

It’s really out of the way but in the general area—Forillion National Park on the Gaspe Peninsula is a spectacular park. Tons of bears, whales, and great hikes. And a French dialect I can’t understand for the life of me (and neither can many Québécois). It’s a long drive but I really loved that park.

The national park system in Canada is, in my view, unparalleled, but as mentioned above, I really only know it from the lens of a backpacker.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thanks for recommendations! How about time of year? We were looking at June originally but thinking maybe hitting it in May so we have more time to get to FL by August. Is May too soon to be in Novi Scotia/Maine?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
Old 04-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Thanks for recommendations! How about time of year? We were looking at June originally but thinking maybe hitting it in May so we have more time to get to FL by August. Is May too soon to be in Novi Scotia/Maine?

The only thing you need to watch with springtime in that part of the world is black fly season. As I recall it was late May/early June, and it’s not so bad right on the coast. But just a little but inland and it can be miserable. Some years more than others and some years I seemed to miss them altogether. If you don’t know what black flies are, well, be very glad. Imagine a cross between mosquitoes, gnats, wasps, and paparazzi. I really only encountered them on hiking trails while backpacking (true story—I saw them drive a moose into a lake once), not as much in “civilization”, so it may be a non issue depending on what your plans are.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Got your passports?

We had to skip Canada last Fall because I didn't take care of that early enough. Bummer.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Black flies are also known as “blood-sucking helicopters” some places...they can be that bad.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Got your passports?

We had to skip Canada last Fall because I didn't take care of that early enough. Bummer.

We are all good on passports and will start doing the pre Canada check soon. Just trying to figure out NS for May or June. Also sounds like snow may be a possibility too in May...

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube