Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Nova Scotia ?????

We are considering a trip to Nova Scotia in 2017, the internet provides a wealth of information but very commercial in format. It appears the Provincial Parks have limited hook ups and look very crowded. The private parks have better facilities but also appear crowded, in the photos.

Is Nova Scotia worth the trip?
Any advice on campgrounds?
Which area is a must see?

Once again Thanks to All... I find the Forum very interesting and informative !
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, Nova Scotia is worth the trip. We have not done it on our own, but 2 Airstream caravans through the area have given us some experience. The Halifax area is a good area to spend some time. The coast is beautiful around Halifax. The more spectacular scenery is in the north end. Cape Brenton and the loop are great for scenery. The fort at Louisville. I liked the Golden Horn campground near the ferry for Newfoundland. The Alexander Graham Museum and area around there. Nice cheese shops and farm shops scattered all over the province. The ferry and the Confederation Bridge to PEI are interesting. I do not really remember anything being crowded in Nova Scotia.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might find the Lucy Has Escaped thread interesting. From Post #92 to Post #115 they were in Canada's Maritime Provinces incl. Nova Scotia. Great photos and commentary.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ed-152034.html

We went to PEI in the 90's and had a great time.

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hiya! I was born, raised, and did my first university degree in Nova Scotia, living in the province for about 23 years total. Graduate school took me to the Midwest and following that, I moved to Texas where I've lived for many years now.

I might be able to give you some pointers, but it would be helpful to know more about what kind of traveler you tend to be (parks only vs. boondocking, adventurous, urban-oriented, culture-oriented, outdoorsy, private vs. social, etc. etc.).

In the meantime, I wrote a series of blog posts about the almost-6,000-mile trip that my husband and I took back to Nova Scotia a few weeks ago in our Airstream Interstate. Some of that material might spark additional questions. Here are the posts if you are interested (fair warning - we are mostly the boondocking / mildly extreme outdoorsy types, ex-backcountry enthusiasts who wanted a bit more traveling comfort and versatility, hence the Interstate).

THE LONGEST JOURNEY, PART 1: HOUSTON, TX TO SYDNEY, NS
THE LONGEST JOURNEY, PART 2: SYDNEY NS TO INGONISH NS
THE LONGEST JOURNEY, PART 3: INGONISH NS TO HOUSTON TX
THE LONGEST JOURNEY, PART 4: LESSONS LEARNED
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just speed-read your Blog Part IV -- nicely done! Will go back and read all of them more carefully.

Thanks for your sense of humor and attention to detail.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carriere , Mississippi
We just got back from NS and Newfoundland two weeks ago and it was worth it to us and we traveled from south Mississippi http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ke-153547.html.

Silvereagle6 has a nice long blog for their trip to NS and Newfoundland and it inspired me to go to Newfoundland. When we go again we will spend more time in Newfoundland.

We only spent a day in PEI but found it too civilized for our taste - I prefer nature and parks. The main road goes around the island and driving across the island requires a lot of navigating. If we had more time to explore PEI we may have found places that we liked.

If you go you should consider taking the ferry to Newfoundland. We went to Gros Morne National Park and enjoyed being there.

In 2017 entrance fees to all of Canada's National Parks and National Historic Parks is free http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/voyage-travel/admission.aspx. It appears that you would have to pre-register for this though.

Joel
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
We just got back from NS and Newfoundland two weeks ago and it was worth it to us and we traveled from south Mississippi http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ke-153547.html.

In 2017 entrance fees to all of Canada's National Parks and National Historic Parks is free http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/voyage-travel/admission.aspx. It appears that you would have to pre-register for this though.

Joel
Your thread is great!

What the gov't originally said in press releases about the park passes is that if you buy 2016, you get two for the price of one - 2017 would be free and that was the extent of it. It sounds like they changed the process somewhat, so thanks for the link.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Lobster Bisque and clam Chowder here we come !

Hey, camped that way two summers ago, campgrounds not too bad, private a bit more ammenities, as per usual. Look for those on the water campsites, book early, you'll not regret it. NB keep the shells from your lobster diner, the waitress will look at you weird, but not as much as the neighbours at the campsite when you are making your lobster bisque on the coleman stove !! Enjoy, and don't forget to try and book a trip on the Bluenose out of Lunenburg, fastest schooner ever built !
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
Nova Scotia / Thanks

Thanks to all those who logged in and took so much time with links, photo's and detailed responses. I received invaluable info for planning my trip to Nova Scotia... Dave
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkershaw View Post
Thanks to all those who logged in and took so much time with links, photo's and detailed responses. I received invaluable info for planning my trip to Nova Scotia... Dave

We are also planning this trip for 2017. Do you yet have a schedule and route defined? Would be neat if we were to meet some where. We will spend a month on Newfoundland.

Everyone keep up the great info.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote