Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Smile You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Does Airstream make a tent?
Yes, they do--it's called a Base Camp. From what I hear they will be more than glad to sell you one!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Wheres Our Gov't

A sad state of affairs when a Sheik from Qatar donates 100 million to Katrina hurricane relief and our pols have there fingers up their backsides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Interestingly enough, I noticed that all of the preceding comments were from folks in relatively warm climate areas. It's not the fuel for our vehicles that's worrying most of us here in the Northern areas - it's the price of heating fuel for our homes! My heating fuel costs last year - for a new and highly efficient home were $2,375.00. That represents an average price of around $2.79/gal. This year, the cost is already approaching $4.79/gal for a net increase of $1,702.00. The older, and often highly inefficient homes, can easily see double that increase - and all too many of these older homes are occupied by people who can ill-afford the increase. Yesterday, one of the larger employers in northern Maine (800 employees) just announced that they would be shutting down because they are oil-dependent and cannot afford the increased cost of doing business. This, of course, has a ripple effect that probably affects several thousand people. Replacement jobs are simply not available in Maine. Theft of fuel oil and wood is already happening and there is genuine fear being expressed about what will happen this winter. Mainers are a hardy and innovative group of people. They love their homes and many will find a way to get by - but there will be deaths among the old, the frail, and other less fortunate souls when the heat goes off and they have no place to go. Like many of us on the forums, I'll substantially curtail my travels this summer by sticking close to home. I have options - but all too many do not. By no means do I intend to admonish those who are taking long trips with their Airstreams. I would love to join you! Just pray that we can find a solution to the high cost of fuel before it literally brings this nation to it's knees!

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
A sad state of affairs when a Sheik from Qatar donates 100 million to Katrina hurricane relief and our pols have there fingers up their backsides.
I'm afraid that an answer won't come until our Government listens more to the people than the oil companies. Within the last two weeks the heads of the major oil companies testified before Congress about the rising costs. Surprisingly, not one admitted that their high earnings were not warranted. They dared Congress to re-enact the excess profits tax or to reduce or eliminate the tax deductions and tax credits that are specific to their industry. Then there is the investigation into the manipulation of oil futures trading.

I started this thread with the painful realization that high fuel prices were but the tip of an ice berg that may sink us all. I apologize to anyone who felt that I was ignoring the plights of others in the northern states that are also petroleum related. I'm scared of what may be looming on the horizon for us all as the impact of the oil prices trickle down into every part of our daily lives.

There will come a time when my travel will be limited, and I dread its coming. Until then I'll keep my Airstream on the highways, but I will spend less in the local communities than I have in the past to help offset my fuel costs.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Another problem is that there are a number of politico's who want the price of fuel to stay high. Force us to change our ways.
If you're in a lower income bracket, you can't afford to trade the 1993 Explorer for a hybrid. Nor, can you move into the city.
As for airstreaming, we travel about 3K/year. It will cost us an extra $500 in fuel compared to a year ago. We are fortunate that we can shift funds from elsewhere.
Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
I started this thread with the painful realization that high fuel prices were but the tip of an ice berg that may sink us all. I apologize to anyone who felt that I was ignoring the plights of others in the northern states that are also petroleum related. I'm scared of what may be looming on the horizon for us all as the impact of the oil prices trickle down into every part of our daily lives.

________Tom
No need to apologize. We all understand what's happening - but we just don't know how to fix it! I'm personally committed to driving 55 - towing or not. That gets my gas mileage up to around 14 mpg towing and 23 mpg running solo. I've also committed to driving the old '91 Saab convertible when the truck is not absolutely needed. The Saab will get around 32 mpg if I drive it gently. The wife drives a '93 Subaru that gets 28 mpg religiously. If you add the Saab and Subaru together they're still not worth $10,000 so trading for a higher mileage capable (32 to 44 mpg) vehicle is out of the question. I'm sure that many others are in the same boat. The net result of this plight, for all of us, may be that we just cherish our Airstream travels more than ever - not taking anything for granted!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
It may be bordering on a rationalization on my part, but when we travel I try to deduct the costs of the fuel and resources we would have spent if we had stayed at home. This would include the cost of food, recreation, and any extra energy we may have expended to maintain the ideal temperature in our home if we were there. We also try to compensate a bit by not dining out as much, overnight parking at Wal-Mart/Cracker Barrel (when nothing else reasonable is available), and taking more of our existing supplies from home with us, instead of buying while on the road.

So far, he Airstream experience still outweighs any additional travel costs.

That's my story, and ...

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
" I'm personally committed to driving 55 - towing or not."

Why hasn't our highly educated government dropped the speed limit down to 55 like they did in the 80's? We have the dumbest politicians i have ever seen.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
I just got in from a trip to Steamboat State park in Eastern WA. When I made my reservations on line in March there were only a few hook-up sites available and a week before the trip I checked and there was only one site available. Through the week it looked like the park was half full so there must have been quite a few last minute cancellations.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifihadtime
I just got in from a trip to Steamboat State park in Eastern WA. When I made my reservations on line in March there were only a few hook-up sites available and a week before the trip I checked and there was only one site available. Through the week it looked like the park was half full so there must have been quite a few last minute cancellations.
Same with Sequoia and Kings canyon. Sequoia half full at best, and Kings canyon close to empty, and boy it was nice.