Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Not on the road!

Ok. I need help. It is 6 pm and still 100 degrees here in Texas. Not the best camping weather. It would take at least a couple of days to get to anywhere cool enough that it would be pleasant to camp, in my opinion. And we can't get away from work right now for more than a weekend. So the AS stays parked and we stay home. I guess it is like you folks up north who can't go out in the winter. What I want to know is how do you pass the time? Planning your trips? Seriously, reading the forums and thinking about future trips is fun for awhile, but I need a strategy for feelin' like I'm streamin' when I'm not.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Sometimes in the middle of winter up here in Michigan I will go out to the barn (AS is parked inside) and fire up the furnace. Grill up some salmon just outside the open barn door and have a nice evening dinner in the stream. I keep the sat. dish hooked up so we have a bit of tv to watch during our little evening, mid-winter escape.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Make your plans when it's cold outside,
And the north winds they do blow,
For half the joy of the trip my boy,
Is setting your traps to go. Albert Bigelow Paine

What I do is start researching areas I like, or want to see. I'm a nature photographer, and I like areas in the west where I will see critters and/or great landscape. I've been known to unlimber a fly rod as well. So, it's taking our interests, doing the research, and doing our best to make it happen. I use the forums to help validate the areas I want to see, and the access to them.

So, the planning is an integral, fun part of the journey.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I saw 106 from the sensor in the shade on the east side of the house this afternoon, and a similar number was reported at Carswell though DFW "only" got to 103. Yuck.

At this point I've given up on the idea of cooler weather and I'm just hoping we're back down in double digits by our next unit campout in 2 weeks!

My job is portable, but my partner's is not, so I dream of high altitude all summer, and we camp all winter. That's the payoff to suffering through August, the delightful camping weather when half the country's Airstreams are winterized and stored.

I wonder if we're ever going to camp in all the cool, dry places I dream about July-September...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I saw 106 from the sensor in the shade ... Stuff clipped...

That's the payoff to suffering through August, the delightful camping weather when half the country's Airstreams are winterized and stored.

I wonder if we're ever going to camp in all the cool, dry places I dream about July-September...
Holy Catfish, we just head to Death Valley when it's cold in Oregon. 106? My gracious, you have airports and credit cards...
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yup.. After 100 it seems it dries out a bit
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Austin is a great place to leave in the late Spring and to return to in the early Fall. Retirement rocks.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Holy Catfish, we just head to Death Valley when it's cold in Oregon. 106? My gracious, you have airports and credit cards...
Holy or not, I'm sure lots of catfish around here are at least partly poached after the last couple of days.

The NWS indicates that the official temperature is measured at Meacham, not the NAS, so it was "only" 102 today, a whole degree cooler than yesterday (but I was working yesterday, so I wasn't trying to do things outside, so I'll kvetch today if I wanna!)

This is unseasonable even for here, by the averages it should've been about 90 here, and after way over 40 Texas summers, I'm almost immune to 90 if it's not too muggy. Still, I'd prefer to chase 70 degrees and take my work laptop and the Argosy off to someplace above 7000 feet with enough data signal to keep getting paid. Maybe next year, if the other David takes a few months off after residency.

If this becomes the "new normal" I think I'll become a Summer New Mexican (as opposed to all the Winter Texans...)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Yes, we have airports and credit cards but I haven't figured out how to get the Airstream through security! I have to say that being trapped in the air conditioning makes me wonder if the airstream lifestyle is for us. Maybe better to use the shekels on airline tickets. But I like the idea of retirement!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We just did a short trip (4 days ) for the HH 100 in Wichita Falls. Did some recon a few weeks earlier and found the shadiest spot in town. Next trip is 5 days in mid October to Broken Bow Oklahoma.
In between trips we do maintenance. Check systems, fix anything we found wrong on our last trip. Update our "list" and buy anything needed. Installing led lights throughout the interior now. Have been going over new flooring for a couple months now, and for Texas, looks like Marmoleum is the one. Most all the rest the warranty is void if no kept at a constant degree temp. Not for a parked Airstream in Texas summer heat.
My wife does triathlons, runs, bikes so her time is spent planning and training for these.
I fish, so my time is tying flies for the particular water that we will be going to.
After the new flooring, the next is sat tv. Had avoided that, but since we camp a lot from Sept till March, gotta have some football.
Actually the answer for us to your question is this. We made a choice when we bought ours. We don't want to be like those who buy an rv and it spends 99% of the time parked at home.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Hmm. We just like to hang out in the Airstream in a nice spot and explore the area a little bit. Guess we will just have to keep dreamin of the fun to come when it cools off some. What do you do in Broken Bow?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
If you make it up as far as Broken Bow I recommend a run up to Mena AK. From there the 50 miles of scenic highway to Talihina is fantastic, although I do not recommend pulling a trailer on it. Its a motorcycle road.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We have a membership in a nice park with shade trees and a huge pool.

We love to see new places, but when trapped at home for work, a short 1.5 hour drive to a guaranteed over-night spot soothes the need to stay in the trailer.

A day lounging at the pool, a nice grilled supper and cocktails after dark.

We a parked there as I write, and it was 98 yesterday.

Not two weeks in the Rockies, but it will do.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Retirment does rock. It is 57 F here in St Johns, NL where we are parked with the caravan. It was 40 this AM.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
When we boat camp at Lake Powell, we live in our bathing suits and keep a wet towel on our shoulders. When the towel dries out and you start warming up, it's time to jump in the lake again.

It looks like you have lakes nearby. You might try this method, assuming it cools enough overnight to be able to sleep comfortably.

The only problem taking our Airstream to the lake is that after we get there, we wish we had brought the boat instead.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Oh, St Johns sounds wonderful!