Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Thumbs up Northern Wisconsin!

Hi Kids,
Provided we get our tire situation figured out (see my other post) we'll be in the Northwoods of Wisconsin for the weekend of the 4th. Will anyone else be there?
Newlyweds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I think the Northwoods is great. If the winters would not get as cold as they do. I could live there. My family has a cottage in Minoqua. I caught many fish up in the Northwoods.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
What a wonderful place to spend the 4th. How long have you been Newlweds? My wife and I have been that way since 1979.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post
I think the Northwoods is great. If the winters would not get as cold as they do. I could live there.
Brian
Come on up! we got this new "Global Warming" deal goin' on. I plan to plant me some tomatoes this winter.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Jerry and I with the dog, Sam, will be at Yellowstone Lake State Park in South Central/West Wisconsin. Its claim to fame is that the bats that live in nearby caves keep the place mosquito free. I'll be happy to report on that when we return. We can't wait to get out of here and spend the Fourth in the AS!

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Wishful thinking!

I wish I could be in the North Woods around Rhinelander....I will be in the AS....running new pex and replacing trim. Yellowstone!!! watch out for the skeeters in Yellowstone! I was not far from there when my dog locked into one of the most magnificant points he had ever done. That skeeter must have been a 5 pounder, just drying out. Think what the ones from the early hatch are like. I am thinking #3 steel (water critter!) in the 12 ga. Not much meat, but there is no limit...and I mean no limit, they keep coming and coming! . Bring the deep woods off (and the 12 ga.).

The weather forecast for the Yellowstone area is for some nice weather thru Sunday. (Which makes working on the plumbing suck even more).

Have fun and down a barley pop in memory of those of us that have various sorts of maintenance chores that have to get done.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel View Post
I wish I could be in the North Woods around Rhinelander....I will be in the AS....running new pex and replacing trim. Yellowstone!!! watch out for the skeeters in Yellowstone! I was not far from there when my dog locked into one of the most magnificant points he had ever done. That skeeter must have been a 5 pounder, just drying out. Think what the ones from the early hatch are like. I am thinking #3 steel (water critter!) in the 12 ga. Not much meat, but there is no limit...and I mean no limit, they keep coming and coming! . Bring the deep woods off (and the 12 ga.).

The weather forecast for the Yellowstone area is for some nice weather thru Sunday. (Which makes working on the plumbing suck even more).

Have fun and down a barley pop in memory of those of us that have various sorts of maintenance chores that have to get done.
Wow, how did that skeeter taste?? Didya roast it or cut it up and freeze it??

I will give you a full accounting of the skeeter hunting or in my case--swatting furiously! I hate 'em) Also, I hear and read that brown bats have a mysterious fungus and the population is greatly diminished. Here's an article on the recent bat summit in New York State:

Scientists, cavers gather in NY to brainstorm on bats -- Newsday.com

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Wow, how did that skeeter taste?? Didya roast it or cut it up and freeze it??

I will give you a full accounting of the skeeter hunting or in my case--swatting furiously! I hate 'em) Also, I hear and read that brown bats have a mysterious fungus and the population is greatly diminished. Here's an article on the recent bat summit in New York State:

Scientists, cavers gather in NY to brainstorm on bats -- Newsday.com

Caryl
With all this talk of numerous over sized critters, I'm not so sure I want to go with you, Caryl!!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Skeeters

Oversized?. No not really.........I remember a bad year when I was a teenager and I watched three big ones drown a Jersey. Those were big skeeters! These are only a few pounds!...but there's lots of em!

As to eating so far I have only tried breading parts and deep frying. The steel shot generally goes through at less than 25 yards so shot in the meat is not much of a problem.

Just out of curiosity was there much gunfire from the park?
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote