Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Northern route in late November

Planning a trip from Northern California to Central Florida to arrive in Florida December 1st. We did the reverse trip last October mostly via I-10 when the A/S was brand new and we were just trying to get it home on our first tow.

In general we don't like taking Interstates so trying to plan a West to East crossing on roads like Hwy 40 or smaller. The other thing is we'd like to avoid the long way through Texas (no offense Texans).

A quick look takes us through Los Cruces, NM (we want to scout the area out) then across the top of the panhandle and Amarillo. then Eastward from there.

My question is this: am I going to seriously regret not hugging the Gulf in late November - should I just bite the bullet and take the Southern route? I'd rather be on the Interstate than stuck on a closed route in a snow storm.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Surprised no one has chimed in on this. Of course weather being what it is, anything can happen. I'd chance it. We did something similar coming the other direction a few years ago. We did ok but also knew that there were a lot of north/south highways that would get us south in a hurry if need be.
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
You can anticipate snow in the western mountain ranges in November and even in October, as "freak" early snowstorms in the high elevations are not uncommon.

Have you got a smart phone or some way to check weather forecasts and road conditions regularly?

We are considering a winter trip south in February, so we will look over your shoulder on this thread with interest, while trying to figure out the most populated, lowest-elevation route to take through the Big Empty.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Assuming I-40 through the TX panhandle and into Oklahoma? Late November is a beautiful time of year in that region. I would avoid the more northern US 40/I-70 route if the weatherman isn't agreeable, as even a hint of snow can close the highways due to drifting. The 'longest' part of the trip would be from eastern New Mexico through Texas...only Amarillo for a break. I find the rolling plains nice to look at, others perhaps, not so much.