Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Northern New England Tour 2008 advice needed

Hey All, we are trying to put together a loop of Northern New England for this summer, can anyone recommend good campgrounds around Rangeley Me, Connecticut Lakes region in NH, and also around Burlington Vt. area?
Advice/recommendations on public campgrounds, State parks and NF campsites all appreciated.

2 week trip with several days in each location.

Thanx, Bill
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Amazingly, there isn't much around Rangeley. The State park there is beautiful, though. Been a few years since I've been there, but the sites are large, spread out, and very densely wooded in between. couldn't see neighbors on either side of us...it was like backing into a cave! The bathrooms/showers were great, but otherwise, no hookups. We did check out a commercial campground in Oquossic (on Rt 16..a few miles out of town), and it looked nice. They have a few sites right on the water edge. (campground is on the shore of Mooslookmeguntic).

Only time I camped in Burlington was for the International rally that was there a few years ago. Stayed at North Beach campground, which was also really nice. Its owned by the city, and is right on the lake. They even have some full-hookup sites.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Only time I camped in Burlington was for the International rally that was there a few years ago. Stayed at North Beach campground, which was also really nice. Its owned by the city, and is right on the lake. They even have some full-hookup sites.
Thanks Chuck,
Is that the one with the bike path right into town?

Bill
Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Bill,
Is So Dakota out???
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
North Beach, Burlington

We highly recommend camping at North Beach in Burlington, VT. I just uploaded a few photos. Try this link, http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...atid=newimages, or go to BDandTTs photos, Travel folder.

As you mentioned, the bike path runs between the campground and the beach. Downtown Burlington, where you'll find lots of nice restaurants and shopping and entertainment, is only a short ride away.
Here is a link to the Burlington city website where you will find information on the campground, bike path, and other attractions, Burlington Parks and Recreation

The campground is only about 25 miles from us, so if you come, give us a holler.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
New Portland

Bill,

I can't answer your questions, but in 1968 I was traveling east through central Maine when I saw a little sign that said something like "wire bridge —>". I couldn't resist and took a narrow dirt road for a while, almost missed a left turn, and eventually came to the wire bridge. It crossed a river and was woven from wire. It was built in the mid 19th century to give New Portland a window to the west and access to markets. The town was on the east side. The town itself seemed to be out of another era. We bought gas at a little station that looked like it hadn't changed since 1930 and had a juke box for 78's. The lady who ran it—it was also a small cafe—told me the man who brought the 78's hadn't been around for a while. There were ads on the wall from the 30's. The place was spotless, but wanted to get out of there before something stranger happened.

I think an Airstream would fit in really well there.

See The Town of New Portland Official Website. Home of the famous Wire Bridge, recreational opportunities, friendly neighbors; a great place to livel for more information and a picture. It's better in person and the renovations came after I was there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Hi Bill

We stopped in the Connecticut Lakes on the way up to Canada a few years ago. Stayed at Coleman State Park, primitive, great bathroom, at the top of a hill on a Little Diamond Lake, where loons and eagles hang out, beautiful farm country side near by- great for a bike ride, very quite spot, can canoe on lake and fish.
At the Connecticut Lakes we stayed at Lake Francis State Park located on the lower cove of the lake--a very nice spot--be sure to hike into the Fourth Connecticut Lake, the trail head is at the Canadian border--this is moose country!!!! and every night the campground empties out as everyone goes out moose watching, wth big spot lights... the moose feed on the new vegetation along the road side.
The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote