Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Missing the point here folks. Northern MN is a great place to be and damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Don't let some pesky bugs stop you! There are places to see and people to meet that can't be missed. Listen to Cheryl Wheeler's Alice and you will get a taste of what might be there for you.Sandy

Shhhhhhhh (you're missing the point)...we want to keep the hoards away from one of my very favorite areas in the world.

As Elmer Fudd would say, "be veeeeeeewwwey quiet..."

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #22
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
When it's 90° and 90% it's tough to wear anything long. Pants, shirts, hoodies, and the like wont be very comfortable.
I would suggest you come during the best seasons which are before the 1st of June or after the 1st of September.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
When it's 90° and 90% it's tough to wear anything long. Pants, shirts, hoodies, and the like wont be very comfortable.
I would suggest you come during the best seasons which are before the 1st of June or after the 1st of September.
That's fine,,,since I always go in July and August.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Growing up we would spend 3 weeks annually up at a ma & pa resort near Longville. Loved that it never got dark till 10 pm or so during July and Aug. We did this for 10 years so we got to know the biting bugs well. We had a northwestern view of Woman lake and in the evening we could literally see the flat clouds of mosquitoes coming across the lake. That's when we went inside to escape being bitten. After a couple hours it would get cool enough to light the wood stove that we had in the cabin. By that time the wave of mosquitoes had passed and they pretty much quit bitting.

I'd love to go back to the area but in many cases I've found the local campgrounds or resorts with cabins and trailer hookups only seem to cater to seasonal RV use rather than folks like me who would like to stay a week or two. Most of the ma & pa resort owners have sold out and many of the cabins have been sold off individually as private vacation residences. Don't know if I will ever get to see that area again unless I want to rent a cabin. Interesting in that my last trip up there the cabin we stayed at (1977) was $150 weekly. Now that same cabin is around $150 daily.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I grew up there. Sometimes, the mosquitoes are INSANE. The rest of the time they're just maddening.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Growing up we would spend 3 weeks annually up at a ma & pa resort near Longville. Jack
Jack - Our family cabin was in Longville! On Long Lake, just north of town. Fun times.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Mosquitos are present everywhere but desert climates and their habits are similar. They prefer early morning and late evening, like dense, shadowy cover. If you're in these conditions, long sleeves and jeans offer good protection. Chemical repellants are most probably harmful to you, we never use them.

cheryl
Maybe Minnesota skeeters are not as hungry as the ones I grew up with in Miami, Fla, but I distinctly remember running as fast as I could to get off a trail in the Everglades and back to the car because they were biting me through my jeans.

When my husband and I were dating, we couldn't afford to go anywhere, so we walked around my neighborhood and risked being carried off by the mosquitoes. When the DDT spray truck pumped slowly by, we would rotate in the mist and finally get some relief from the miserable critters.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Northern Minnesota is a beautiful and diverse area. I've found that if you stay fairly close to Lake Superior the bugs are not a concern. You won't be able to dive into the lake unless it is one of the hottest of days and even then your heart might stop from the shock of the cold water! It's refreshing. I prefer May and June while cooler there are less Mosquitos than in July and August. Be sure to take the old scenic highway along the lake from Duluth to Two Harbors - stop at Russ Kendall's smoked fish and the Great Lakes candy store. Spend time in Grand Marais and check out the many scenic hiking trails.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Minnesota State Bird

The Mosquito ....

..... obviously an important part of a vibrant tourism industry and very generous contributor to the overall economic health of the State of Minnesota .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minnesota State Bird.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	235921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minnesota State Bird (2).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	235922  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a couple of years ago, and I believe some of the Minnesota mosquitoes have escaped.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
I grew up there. Sometimes, the mosquitoes are INSANE. The rest of the time they're just maddening.

Or you accept them as part of nature's experiences, adjust your attitude, dress appropriately, use smoke, and as a last resort Deet. In all the years I have been wilderness canoeing in BWCA, I bet I have only used Deet about 6 times.

Dragonflies and bats are your friends. Always select an onshore breeze spot

Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Considering a trip up there this summer because we've never been there. Interested in scenery, good food, bike riding, and kayaking.

Please comment on your thoughts.

How are the mosquitoes and black flies?
Don't forget your fishing pole!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Don't forget your fishing pole!
I always carry fishing equipment with us in the trailer, but we usually don't have the time to justify buying an out of state license, so we just spend some money at a local restaurant that serves fish.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #34
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
About 2 hours before going outside of my camper I put citranella candles around the camp site. If there's a picnic table you want to sit at, put at least one under the table and several on top.
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote