Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Slightly off of your original topic, but if your travels ever take you back through St. Augustine, take some time and eat at Cucina Giovanni. It is on Rt. 16 not far from Prime Outlets Blvd. and the Camping World. It's one of the best Italian resturants I've found anywhere. We go out of our way to plan our trips in to Florida in order to stop for lunch there.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmithii View Post

** Savannah - we stayed in a different (to remain unnamed) park and desperately drove around looking for alternatives for a later trip. We found Skidaway Island State Park - others should comment. We plan to try it for our next visit to Savannah:
Skidaway Island State Park | Georgia State Parks
Skidaway is a great campground and close to Tybee and Savannah. We stayed there a week in April 2011 and had a great time although the weather wasn't very cooperative, it rained the majority of the time we were there. We explored a few of the trails, which were nice, and otherwise we spent a lot of time in Savannah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I guess I missed the "coastal" reference earlier. We have not stayed here, but have a reservation in September for Hunting Island, actually in SC. Supposed to be beautiful, and hard to get reservations; I don't think this was mentioned previously so apologies if it has already been mentioned.
I lucked up and found a beachfront spot for one night while we were on our way up to the BRP in Nov 2012 and stayed at Hunting Island. There are approximately 9 oceanfront campsites, while the rest are very close. It looked really nice and I'll try to visit again in the near future. The beach, however isn't what I was accustomed to seeing. It's very natural, with dead trees, their roots and abandoned electrical wires sticking out of the ground from decades of beach erosion and storms that have pushed the campground back.

Both places are known for their raccoons, as are most parks in the south, so be vigilant with your food trash/bait.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Saint Mary's, Georgia is a beautiful little town, and you can take a day trip to spectacular Cumberland Island there for a day of tromping the beaches and trails through forests of live oaks.

A lovely, carefully preserved island which allows no motor vehicles and includes the tiny, slave-era chapel where JFK Jr. got married.

Crooked River State Park is lovely, but our favorite is A Big Wheel RV Park just outside the state park. For just a few dollars more, they have full hookups, laundry facilities, etc., and are one of the friendliest, warmest campgrounds we have ever been to.

Concrete pads, flowers, everything tidy and well-kept and a campground potluck every Sunday night. The owners are a wonderful couple.

Maggie
We are for a long weekend at A Big Wheel RV Park in Saint Mary's, Georgia, for at least the 4th time since we retired in 2007. One of our all time, favorite campgrounds.

Still as nice as we remembered, with improvements and upgrades each time we visit. Roads are paved, there are lots of trees and foliage, and most of the sites are on concrete pads with patios. Very quiet, nice/clean bathhouse and modern, reasonably priced laundry facilities....including front loaders.

Love nice laundries.

The on-site owners are the same ones who opened this campground in 2006, and are as kind, hospitable and friendly as anyone you will find. A very comfortable place to spend a few days, catch up with the washin' and just relax.

One of the nicest features here is the campground potluck on Sunday evenings, hosted by the owners who provide the main course. Bring a dish to share, sit around and visit with fellow travelers.

Very reasonable at $35/night, and they now take Passport America for 1 night.

We who subscribe to "spend less, do more"....preferring to spend $20 or less a night....always return here for a long weekend when we are in the area.

These folks know how to do it right.

Maggie
Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
We just did this trip! We stayed at Ft Mcallister state park just south of savannah. We drove in to savannah and walked it one afternoon. We left there and went to little talbot island one night and then hit Gamble Rogers. FYI we were in site 21

Attachment 176843

The ranger told us we had the best spot, I thought she was required to tell everyone that but she explained there wasn't anything in the way in our spot. She was right.

We left there and hit manatee springs for a night and then went to topsail hill for Canopener.

The only spot we had reserved before two days ahead was our Canopener spot. Everything else was luck of the draw and "let's try this place out"
If I had to pick my favorite, Little talbot island state park was my favorite. We felt like our spot was carved out of the jungle.
I got site 21 totally by accident. I booked on Thursday, went on Friday. Was nice to wake up and watch sunrise out the back window. Tomoka park near Daytona is also a favorite of ours, only 45 minutes from Home and good fishing and kayaking.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
That's how we got our spot. My wife made all the reservations from the front seat of the truck while we were headed down the road. She used combination of an app, an atlas and calling parks the whole trip and we lucked into that one!
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Stephen C. Foster State Park | Georgia State Parks I have been to this park several times. The swamp and alligators are great. You can take boats back through the trees up to 10 miles. The wild life is amazing.

Brian