Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Coast to Coast
2016 26' Flying Cloud
St. Augustine , Florida
Hendy Woods SP in Philo, Anderson Valley.

Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
morgan hill , California
We have several favorites in California; El Capitan SB and French Meadows NFS.

1greengarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2000 19' Bambi
McMinnville , Oregon
Glad I read through this post. Those are great responses. We live near Portland, and my family lives in the Sacramento, SF bay area and Monterey Peninsula. We travel back and forth a lot and like to spend some time between, in interesting places and decent parks.

curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
The Chabot park campground is about 10-15 minutes form our house. We have driven through it but never stayed there! Our neigbors do stay there for weekends and say it is nice an quiet, and the description of being in the eucalyptus grove is accurate.

Our NorCal Airstreamers go to Casini Ranch every spring in Duncans Mills, near Guernville, a perfect drive for a long weekend getaway. We have also gone to Pomo campground in Ft. Bragg.

The group also goes to Jackson Rancheria in the Fall: we only went one time and it is a giant, but clean parking lot. It can be okay if you are hanging out with friends, but I think they did not allow wood fires: not sure if I remember that correctly.
Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
I posted earlier, but best advice I can say.... travel above 4,000 ft. and avoid the little devils all together! Weed Gallery: Foxtails--UC IPM
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, I've been very fortunate to have stayed at many of the recommended sites. When we lived on the Sonoma Coast at Sea Ranch, we went by Wrights Beach a lot and I always thought, I need to remember this place. So thanks Nomad 518 for the reminder. It is a great site right on the beach and the Sonoma Coast N of Bodega to Sea Ranch is the best and also very accessible. Other places like Big Trees SP, Plumas/Grayeagle (great day hiking) are real sleepers too, like WaLee said...shhhh.

What I wanted to add is a great day trip from Wrights beach. Head N past Jenner and up the grade to Salt Point SP. There is a great day use park at Gerstle Cove and the hike N to Stump Beach and back is simply the best on the coast. Best time is anytime other the Ab season.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #21
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
There's a little known camp inside the city of Monterrey called Veterans Memorial Park. No hookups but they have hot showers and a dump station. No reservations, and in spite of what their website say, there are sites that can accommodate large RVs. It's a gem, reasonable size campsites, beautiful park with deer frequently. Close to the Wharf, Pacific Grove, and Carmel. We stay there a couple times a year just to get away.
As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #22
2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
So, finally we got out two weekends ago to explore some new areas and a new campground. I must say that we purposely decided to go above 5000ft just to explore the suggestion that fox tails do not like higher elevations. We also reasoned that volcanic ash provides a unique environment free of these nasty little devils. Lassen Volcanic NP, Manzanita lake campground it was and Wow! Bingo on many levels: not crowded, very nice during the heat wave in Central Valley - 80s in the NP whereas it was 105 in the valley. No fox tails, still dusty, but hey we can live with this. What a beautiful place!!!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Poison Oak

Originally Posted by goetzee View Post
My wife and I stayed in Bothe-Napa Valley State Park earlier this year and it was great. The only downside is that there was quite a bit of poison oak at the edges of the campground. It looked like they were ready to start some abatement but not sure if they followed through. It is a clean campground and close to Calistoga and St. Helena.
I have been a volunteer and employee of the Bothe-Napa Valley State Park, it is a great park, and where else can you stay in Napa Valley for just a few dollars. That being said, keep your dogs on a leash, the Poison Oak is everywhere in this park.

J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote