Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Northeast American History tour with kids... suggestions

Hello all,

My family and I are in the planning stages of our summer vacation. My children's ages are 11, 9 and 3. We will beginning our trip from Dallas on or around June 15 and will return August 10ish. Our very rough simplified plan is Kansas City, Nashville, Chattanooga, hit the east coast in South Carolina and follow the coast north, Outer banks, Norfolk, Williamsburg , DC, Philadelphia, Hotel it in NYC, Adirondacks etc. As the title suggests we will be correlating this with America History.

I'm guessing 5 days in DC, what kid friendly tours are recommend and which ones should be reserved now?

I'm looking for suggestions along our route for specific things to do, can't miss / must see or specific campgrounds. We prefer National, State, County parks and have the ability to boondock for a night or two. Private campground suggestions near city centers for convenience.

Typically we don't like to make reservations or have schedules to stick too but, I feel this year we should make reservations due to the congestion of these areas in the summer.

Our typical pattern, to avoid big crowds, is to hit the crowded areas during the week and off the beaten path on the weekend.

We travel in our 2009 Classic 27fb.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
Hello all,

My family and I are in the planning stages of our summer vacation. My children's ages are 11, 9 and 3. We will beginning our trip from Dallas on or around June 15 and will return August 10ish. Our very rough simplified plan is Kansas City, Nashville, Chattanooga, hit the east coast in South Carolina and follow the coast north, Outer banks, Norfolk, Williamsburg , DC, Philadelphia, Hotel it in NYC, Adirondacks etc. As the title suggests we will be correlating this with America History.

I'm guessing 5 days in DC, what kid friendly tours are recommend and which ones should be reserved now?

I'm looking for suggestions along our route for specific things to do, can't miss / must see or specific campgrounds. We prefer National, State, County parks and have the ability to boondock for a night or two. Private campground suggestions near city centers for convenience.

Typically we don't like to make reservations or have schedules to stick too but, I feel this year we should make reservations due to the congestion of these areas in the summer.

Our typical pattern, to avoid big crowds, is to hit the crowded areas during the week and off the beaten path on the weekend.

We travel in our 2009 Classic 27fb.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
An alternate route might be I-20 east, stop in Vicksburg if you are interested in seeing the Civil War National park. Then over toward Jackson, up the Natchez trace to Nashville, lots of stops with interesting history. There are some boondocking parks on the Trace. The only drawback to the trace is the pace. If you are an Interstate Burner, the slower speed can be an adjustment.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, you want reservations in the summer.

I would start your East Coast in Georgia, take the ferry from Saint Mary's to Cumberland Island, spend a day hiking around the ancient live oak forests and beach, and see the wild horses.

I also recommend the Penn Center/Gullah History center in Beaufort, SC...teach them a little history.

Have a great time!

Maggie
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Here's a link to the Kids Rally in eastern Tennessee June 18th-21st if you've got some flexibility in your dates: http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...18;&e=1482&c=1

This thread also has a little info: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ly-162108.html

Looks like you'll be through there just after that, though! Looks like you're planning an awesome trip!

Dave
Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
Charleston-lots of history, refined city, Fort Sumpter, Yorktown, shopping, food, Middleton and Magnolia Plantation
Myrtle Beach- Redneck Riviera
Philadelphia- Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Barnes, Christ Church, Ben Franklin
Charlottesville, VA- Monticello
Are you sure you want to visit the south in the summer where it will be 100 degrees?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brookhaven , Georgia
i forgot to mention Savannah- skip it and go to Charleston
Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brookhaven , Georgia
And finally, Biltmore House in Asheville, NC
Old 02-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Thanks everyone for the replies!!

We will be stopping in KC to see old neighbors from when we lived there. Natchez Trace is a great idea, I'll look into that.

I like the idea of the ferry and the kids would love seeing wild horses!

I'll look into the kids rally they'd enjoy that!

I love Beaufort and Charleston.

Keep em coming!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brookhaven , Georgia
What is the value of the Barnes collection?
Today, the collection is estimated to be worth between $20 and $30 billion. Although John D. Rockefeller and Andrew Carnegie were vastly wealthier than Albert Barnes, the current value of the assets of the Barnes Foundation are 10 to 20 times greater than the Carnegie Corporation or the Rockefeller Corporation.
There are more Impressionist paintings here than anywhere outside of France.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brookhaven , Georgia
Crystal Bridges, Bentonville, AR
Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Just a few Eastern recs: Gettysburg (and other major battle fields); USMA at West Point; NYC Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc.; Roosevelt Manson Hyde Park NY; in Mass. Cape Cod; Freedom Trail; Green Mtns. in VT; White Mountains in NH; Acadia National Park in Maine.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Consider Greenbelt Park (U.S. National Park Service) as a place to stay while in DC.

Not sure if you've got a focus for a certain type of history, but the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, NY and the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit are places our kids really enjoyed and they are great places to learn about the history of design, innovation and industry. If you go to the Henry Ford Museum it's also worth taking in the Ford Rouge Factory Tour.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
don't miss the Mutter museum in Philly... kids might love the creepy factor.., the Rodin museum and Valley Forge are both great and can be done in a short amount of time i.e. kid friendly...also the Brandywine area is lovely , full of small but significant sights. Independence Hall is worth driving by , but wouldn't waste valuable time there ...boring...don't know anything specific about the Chesapeake area but would investigate fully if I had a kid into horses or boats...agree also with the rec for Gettysburg , and on the way from there to Philly , you can visit Amish country in Lancaster . if you get near NYC, the circle line boat tour that circles Manhattan , was my favoritest tour thing there.... such a nice overview, and outside!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
If you want to camp in Kansas City I would see if you can get reservations at Weston Bend State Park. Probably booked up already on the weekends, but will likely have availability during the week.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote