Old 07-12-2004, 01:51 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
non-perishable foods?

We're getting ready for our biggest trip ever, and I'm starting to think about what to outfit the trailer's kitchen with. When you have an iffy fridge, you suddenly realize how many refrigerated items you depend on in your daily diet. So I'm wondering what kinds of non-perishables people pack with them, and what kinds of stuff do you take that can perhaps survive without a fridge, and for how long? For example, my husband recently convinced me that yellow mustard does not spoil if left out. Ok, I'm still not totally convinced, but it doesn't say 'refrigerate after opening' on the bottle so I'm willing to experiment.

What kinds of fruits and veggies can survive outside a fridge for a while? I know apples, bananas, and oranges are ok, but I really tend to refrigerate everything else at home. I guess I grew up paranoid about spoilage. I'd like to keep just the stuff we have to refrigerate in the cooler (or fridge if it's working), and not fill it up with stuff that might not need to be in there.

Any tips or favorite recipes would be welcome!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Hi Steph ..... This is what we do

I freeze a few of our favorite dishes or casserols ( jambalaya, homemade spaghetti sauce etc) in tupperware, and add the rice or pasta when needed.
I also freeze some hamburger, hot dogs, and sausage.
Bread goes in the oven.
My grocery store sells frozen cooked peeled shrimp.
I have a crate of canned food ( stew, chilli, tuna, and soup ) in the tow vehicle.( weight distribution )
I collect condiments packets from fast food establishments and keep them in tupperware.
Soft drinks and bottled water go in a cooler in the tow vehicle
A frozen container of water in the fridge, helps keep things cool and when it thaws, we have really cold water to drink.
To keep weight down I look for supermarkets on the road to buy heavy stuff.
and I usually end up buying more ice on the road.
This all works for me but I rarely stay out for more than 10 days. I just
replaced my fridge, but if it broke I would just use it as a storage cooler.
I think coolers are more conveniant.
I also just replaced my commode, but porta potties are more conveniant.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking any thing in a can

Steff,
Any thing in a can. But they can get heavy. Not knowing your eating habits All I can reccomend is the way I pack food for the road. I usually carry basic staples like meat and veggies in cans. Along with sauce mixes in envelopes, dried beans and pasta. Some flour, sugar, dried milk, etc. I used to spend long summers at a camp with no refrigeration facilities. Then I will suplement by buying fresh foods as they are available and only buy what I can reasonably use up in a short period of time. Farm fresh eggs do not need to be refrigerated, just kept cool. Any thing that has a mayonaise base to the sauce, has to be kept cold. Ketchup, mustard, pickles, most steak sauces, and the like don't have to be kept in the fridge ( try and convince my wife of that one too) I have a feeling that the "keep refrigerated" is probably a combination of urban legend and an attempt by food manufacturers to keep from getting sued. Somewhere out there are a couple of books by Janet Groene about cooking and keeping food with out refrigeration, one is "Cooking on the Go" she still writes a column for the Camping Life magazine.

Good luck, if nothing else you could buy a case of military MRE's

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thanks much, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'll see if I can hunt down some of her books, and maybe get some more ideas.

Bread in the oven - obvious, yet I hadn't thought of it

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
What kinds of fruits and veggies can survive outside a fridge for a while?
For a while...all of them. The trick is to buy only what you'll eat within 3 days, max. I find checking out produce stands to be one of the most fun parts of our trips. And shopping in grocery stores in different parts of the country is surprisingly fun and culturally enlightening.

Quote:
For example, my husband recently convinced me that yellow mustard does not spoil if left out.
We NEVER refrigerated catsup when I was growing up. It stayed in the cabinet with the natural peanut butter, jelly, honey and syrup.

Regarding meats, take a look in your grocery store on the canned meat aisle. They now have all kinds of things in those foil pouches. While we were on our way home from the International rally in Michigan, I saw tuna of course, also chicken, salmon, crab, and shrimp. They are relatively lightweight, and are usually a good serving size for two people.

It seems we always take too much food. We love little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and often eat lunch out, since lunch out is way less expensive than the same meal six hours later.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
some of the things we take

We are two of the few that always carry Spam! Spamburgers anyone, LOL? Mac and cheese, canned ham, lots of Campbell's Soup To Go, Cup of Soup packets, shelf life prepared foods like Dinty Moore beef stew in the microwaveable plastic dishes, etc., tuna, dried fruit, gorp, nuts, biscotti, crackers, pretzels, peanut butter, Hershey (I think) milk boxes that don't require refrigeration, pancake flour, bisquick, bouillion, individually wrapped treats and snacks, beef sticks, spaghetti mixes, and pasta, family sized soup mixes, canned bacon, potatoes, vegetables, apples, v8, tuna, instant pudding mixes. Just go up and down the aisles and see all that requires no refrigeration, it's considerable. You might even want to get those Mountain House pouches that people use for backpacking. The powdered eggs aren't bad if you season them, granule butter substitutes like Molly Mc Butter or Best of Butter. Freeze dried ice cream is excellent!

http://www.mountainhouse.com/data/backpack_fds.html

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
...pancake flour, bisquick... Just go up and down the aisles and see all that requires no refrigeration, it's considerable.
Flour and Bisquick should be refrigerated or frozen if they won't be consumed right away. They will go rancid, especially since they don't have air conditioning and plan to travel in the summer. The Bisquick goes even faster than APF because of the oil in it.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
oops sorry

We never have or knew that. :-0 But its cheap enough couldn't you get small packages and throw out or eat before they became rancid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie G
Flour and Bisquick should be refrigerated or frozen if they won't be consumed right away. They will go rancid, especially since they don't have air conditioning and plan to travel in the summer. The Bisquick goes even faster than APF because of the oil in it.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
If you have a smores kit, do you need anything else?