Old 05-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Non-obvious but useful AS tips

...Just wanted to share discoveries we made this weekend after our third trip in goonybird...

1. The little outside step light can attract a huge number of unwanted insects. I left this light on, and when I opened the door (ironically, to turn the lights off hanging on the awning) the swarm was sucked into the AS. This caused a huge issue with the four-year-old, who thought sleeping with roughly 50 bugs a fate worse than death. It took me about 15 minutes to dispatch all the 'guests' she could see...and she was up most of the night on the fearful lookout for more...

2. The larger porch light caused an issue with a tent camped perpendicular to the light. By chance, it shined right into their sleeping area and they said it was quite bright. It was aimed right at their window and they were about 100 feet away. I did not make notice of this until they told me the next is quite a spot light.

3. If you have children, you need to keep door keys with you...the four year old accidently locked the door on her way out, and we would have been foobar if I did not happen to carry the keys...

4. Preschoolers confuse the light switch with the water heater switch in the bathroom. We left a light on to remedy it. They want to use the big switch, not the little switch...and the big one is the wrong is also closer to the door, and it also lights up. It is a kid magnet. The solution is to put a picture of a big hairy spider right on the switch -- they will not go near it -- especially after they were on bug patrol all night...

5. The thetford potty seems to be facsinating to children of all ages. The eight-year-old took a system-engineering approach, and inquired how long it would take daddy to fill it. The younger one did not like it much because it was different. They threatened each other with a a good flushing, and informed all people they contacted about what they were allowed to very excellent detail.

hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:08 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Panub put an amber light bulb in place of the bright porch light. Should attract fewer bugs.

Yep I've learned the lesson about the step light also. You won't pick up many bugs when you open the door if the insides of the trailer are dark.

We keep a few of those flat panel night lights plugged in. Helps keep us from using light switches in the middle of the night. You do have to look twice at those switches in the Classic. Electric water heater, gas water heater, lights, and water pump. All in the bathroom and easy to turn on the wrong one.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California

I laughed out loud on reading your post. Camping with your own kids has got to be one of the joys of parenthood.

A/S has got to change those switches in the bathroom. I think EVERYONE gets confused by them.

And I did notice that the outside light shines perfectly into the next RV bedroom. I wouldn't want that shinning into my window all night so I understand and keep it off.
"It's the journey."

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Another tip

Many may already know this:
To keep the bugs down, and away...ESPECIALLY MOSQUITOS...we have a little fan that stays outside. I believe I heard that mosquitos cannot/have a hard time flying in 5 or 10 mile/hr wind....we tested that theory and it works!

Second tip:
Throw a bar of Zest soap (take it out of the box) in a little nook/cranny/corner or wherever to keep a fresh scent going while you have your r.v. closed up. I got overly excited and threw two bars out in our little Bambi. That theory worked as well!

Disclaimer: The above are not my home grown ideas, I happened to catch a few episodes of R.V. Today (?) or whatever that show is on satellite.

OK: tip three, same show...
put some coffee grounds in a little tupperware container and put in your fridge and/or freezer while r.v. not in use. something about helps to reduce moisture and provides a better smell than the ole' storage smell. and...guess what...this works too!
__________________ doesn't take much to go first class
panub is offline   Reply With Quote