Old 12-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
No Wave Backs

We went to Garner last week and saw lots of AS's. Several on the road and 4or 5 in the park. Our camp sight was not very close to them but we flashed our lights at the ones on the road and waved at all of them when passing or getting passed by in the park (2 rigs) and none waved back at us, unless I did not see it but i don't think they did. I was going to walk up and visit but it made me a bit uneasy to do so when nobody seemed very friendly. I also noticed that none had Air Forums stickers on the backs of the ones I could see.
James

Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
During our tow down the 301/95 eastern corridor we didn't get many waves... though we did have one young woman open her window and crane her neck around to see the Overlander.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We wave all the time, too (and then struggle to get out the WBCCI book to see who we waved at). Some people wave back, and some don't. The wavers are the neat people; the non-wavers are swineolas.

Lynn
Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Wavebacks and flashing lights seem to bee in the past. There may be a lot of tradition that is not adhered to or the owners of A/S products are not aware of the tradition. How do you convey this information to A/S owners? Get the word out. Maybe have it part of the learning curve when a person/family purchases an A/S.
I do know that we try to visit with any A/S in a park when we stay overnight and we appreciate it when an A/S'r stops by our campsite to visit.
Keep up the good work.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We always flash oncoming Airstreams on the road and usually they flash back. When they fail to respond, I don't think that it is unfriendliness. It it probably that all too common driving disease, cranial rectumitis.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

No excuse for it in the Park...walk up to'em with a good bottle of Airstream elixir and demand an explanation. It's all about protocol

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I get waved at all the time...People are always so friendly...I just can't figure out why it's always one finger instead of five....

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
They are just telling you that you are "Number 1," Kevin.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Out here in rural nowhere, people, usually men in pickups, used to give a one finger wave—it's the index finger flicked upward while the hand rests on the steering wheel. That has pretty much ended and I expect will eventually be replaced with the urban one finger salute.

We flash our lights at other Airstreams when we see them. We can't always tell through the windows—tinted on some vehicles—whether they are waving, especially on interstates with wide medians. Some vehicles have their headlights on all the time and can only flash highbeams and may not realize that. People used to flash their lights to warn of danger ahead (or cops with speed guns), but I don't see that much anymore either.

So, I think it's a combination of declining friendliness everywhere and sometimes just not seeing them in time or the other things I mentioned. The friendliness part may be a decline in the importance of community in the US—I've seen a number of articles about that in recent years and maybe this is part of it. The Forum indicates community isn't dead, but may be weaker than in years past.

In our year of ownership, hardly anyone has visited from another Airstream at a campground. One in the NW came over to talk plus the owner of a Silver Streak who was interested in our truck, not our trailer. I have talked to some other owners at campgrounds at my initiative if they were parked close and were outside. More often it's someone with SOB that wants to talk about our Safari. We get a lot of compliments from them and some people want to see the inside. Sometimes it seems they want me to offer to show them, but inevitably it's when my wife is taking a shower and probably wouldn't be very welcoming. Maybe once they get an A/S, they become less friendly.

Gene
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Wavebacks and flashing lights seem to bee in the past.
In our 8 years of towing an Airstream we have always got a "wave back" from our wave to other Airstreamers.

Back in the 50's and 60's my dad towed SOB's and would wave to all RV'ers and got the wave back from most. Getting a wave back from an Airstreamer back then was a "special treat"!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Loosen 'em up..

This is the Airstream elixir I use in the Park...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	THANKSGIVING WINE 015.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	71997  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
In my younger days I drove a small British sports car and just about everyone with sports cars waved at each other...later, when riding a motorcycle, most all fellow 'bikers' waved at each other...

In the late 70's we got a class-C Moho to haul our family around camping - I tried waving at other similar Moho's and got almost no response...strange looks, like 'what's that guy's problem'...I gave up waving, as it seemed that RV's like ours just weren't the 'waving' kind of folks...

A few years back, we got a Lance Camper mounted on a lifted F-350 Super Duty and I again tried the 'waving' thing...again mixed reactions with fellow Truck Camper types...most that waved seemed to be surprised...it seems you can tell when you get a 'friendly' wave, or just a 'ho-hum' kind of obligation type wave...

Now with our AS trailer, we again do the wave thing...we haven't been on any long road trips yet to see enough AS's to get a response...But, locally we've had good luck with 'return waves' the few times we've had the chance...

We also like to say 'hello' to fellow AS'ers when we're camped, and most often get friendly receptions...it's always fun to trade hints, check out each other's towing set-up, etc...isn't that what it's all about... sharing stories and such!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I'm not so sure that lack of waves is always a sign of unfriendliness. One thing I noticed this past summer was a large number of folks out there on what is supposed to be vacation are functioning in a near manic-sleep deprived mode trying to make up for a year poorly spent in 10 days on the road. It may be that what passes for rudeness may just be numbness. On the other hand, they could just be jerks.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Have you ever noticed that as the road gets smaller, from a huge interstate down to a gravel backroad, that the waves become more frequent? It is a proportional thing, I am sure...and maybe, the fewer the people the more friendly we become.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote