Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
We're Flashers!

And wavers!

We're usually so happy to be towing one of our Airstreams that we have found ourselves waving to drivers and passengers on either side of us on the road and we definitely wave to people on the street if they seem to be smiling or are just in slack jawed awe. Think of us as your friendly Airstream ambassadors!

We have homes in Tennessee and Arkansas and folks there still give you the one finger (index-thank you very much), if not full on wave, salute. And they still flash their lights if there is a hazard ahead.

We also move to the "slow" lane once we've overtaken another vehicle and flash our lights to cars/trailers/semi's ahead of us but in the lanes next to ours to indicate that they can move ahead to the lane we're occupying if they so desire.

Whenever we camp, there is always someone that invariably stops by for a tour. We've met the nicest people because we were towing an Airstream.

Happy Campers? Yup-that's us!

We'll look forward to seeing you on the road! (We'll be the one's flashing and waving!)
Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
We flash and wave whenever we encounter an AS. The lack of response hasn't thwarted our efforts. We thought that our "ugly step child" Argosy was not always considered to be worthy. We figure that if we stop, the snobs win and the uninitiated will never figure it out. We prefer the peace sign but don't "flash" it for fear of being branded as fanatics.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
kinda like mexray. drove an M.G. long time ago lots of waves. Ride a Harley now most riders wave. I see it as a nice touch. We wave to other a.s. folk. If they wave back great if not thats ok too.
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Having completed our first year of 'streamin, we saw ONE AS while on the road. One weekend we actually saw two ASs in the campground. We visited with both - I'm not sure either of them would have initiated the visits. On the road, in Virginia, we were passed by another AS (the only one we've seen while traveling) - we waved and so did the occupants of the other vehicle. We look and look for them, on the road and in every campground we enter but we haven't seen any others during our first year. We would like to and will keep looking - but we haven't found many to date. If you're out there, we'll see you one day. This, our first year, we made it to six states and next year we are looking at another four or five.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
I try to signal

I try to flash my lights and wave to on coming AS's I meet on the road. But sometimes I don't see them in time or I am busy getting instruction from the DW
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 AM   #26
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Personal communication is out. Now one texts or emails another.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
The "Happy Camper" wine makes a better window cleaner than an elixir.
Bob,
You can't judge a book by it's cover, plus, it does just what the label says.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

No excuse for it in the Park...walk up to'em with a good bottle of Airstream elixir and demand an explanation. It's all about protocol
Robert -
a) Is it crossing some unseen barrier here to ask just where such fine vintage vino is to be acquired?

b) Also - Are you not the discriminating Airstreamer who has a really cool Flamingo flying from a curved "poll" in front of your AS ? Well - after LOTS of searching the web I found justforfunflags.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc If that link doesn't work, just put pink flamingos in your Yahoo search box & look for justforfunflags.com. WARNING - You gotta really want one - they have a serious price on such a folly-based item. But, as we learned from ole Stanley Marcus years ago, folks with a defined sense of style will always pay well for high class junk.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Discriminating

Yes,No.

You would be referencing our "party bird"
We should all know by now if 'ya Stream 'ya gotta pay the price.

The "Happy Camper" link.

http://www.happycamperwines.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWDCA National Speciality 2008 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	72066  
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Smile Wave and Looks

Seems we get a few waves and because we travel mostly 2 lane roads and pass thru alot of small towns We get the looks. I'm always Thinkn they are sayin"HEY LOOK AT THAT ANTIQUE" don't see many of those in these parts"
In our first yr campin we met alot of nice people in the state parks we camped at here in OHIO. We have really nice state parks here bye the way.
Flintstone if youre gonna be shy U will never find out how friendly Streamer's can be or SOB owners for that matter. Walk rite up and introduce yourself. Most do not bite. We are all campers remember.
As for wave backs, its not like it used to be. TRUCKERS, BIKERS , even people drivin the same make vehicle would wave at each other,throw up thier hand as to say "HEY NIEGHBOR" We have seemingly gotten too independ to even acknowledge our neighbor anymore. Most of us I'll bet dont know who lives next door.
But we will continue to wave and hope the tradition comes back.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Try it with an Avion

Try waving at a 'streamer while pulling an Avion and see what you get.

I've had guys start to wave, see what I was pulling, then quickly pull their hand down!

I just laughed it off. Most guys wave back, but that one guy really cracked me up
Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, I had no idea there was so much hard feelings about non-wavers. I'll admit, I'm not a waver. We're usually on interstates, Our big black van has tinted windows, I figure they probably can't see me anyway, and I prefer to keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. I'm always afraid I'll be doing something stupid like waving when suddenly the whole thing starts fishtailing or something. I figure if I don't fool around behind the wheel I won't have to worry about it Plus I don't think I've ever seen another AS driver wave at us yet. We tried flashing lights at first but no one noticed or flashed back, so I decided it was better to socialize off road anyway!

However, I'm always happy to visit other campers once we're safely parked. Come visit us anytime, and we are about as likely to show up and knock on your door if we find ourselves in the same campground!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
In my younger days I drove a small British sports car and just about everyone with sports cars waved at each other...later, when riding a motorcycle, most all fellow 'bikers' waved at each other...
In 1959 my parents got a new VW bug. Only VW model available. 34hp. At the time it was rare to see another VW and was a festive event. Light flashing, horn blowing and in our case me jumpining up and down through the sun roof.

Bikers have always waved, but it's more like a secret masonic sign. Kind of cooly taking your roadside hand off the bars and extending it laterally a few inches. You never see a biker waving his whole arm in broad arcs. Then again you never see a biker playing guitar on his bike. Arlo Guthrie offered the explanation that the box side of the guitar has more wind resistance than the neck side.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Wow, I had no idea there was so much hard feelings about non-wavers.
Steph, no hard feelings at all, and you can still wave again. Keeps you alert. Lots of good reasons someone doesn't wave or flash lights. I'm not giving up on the light flashing if I see someone in time, the waves are very hard to see.

On the other hand, I think some of the people looking, waving or even light flashing, have Airstreams, but not with them.

In one year, 7 states, and 8,500 miles, we haven't seen that many Airstreams, so there have been few opportunities.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Now yer talk'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Then again you never see a biker playing guitar on his bike. Arlo Guthrie offered the explanation that the box side of the guitar has more wind resistance than the neck side.
For those too young, or because of circumstances beyond their control, have forgotten,
Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Flamingos!!

Quote:

This is the Airstream elixir I use in the Park...
And Robert - Is it considered OK here to ask a man with such obvious good taste just where such rare & fine beverage is acquired?

By the by - If my failing memory cells are still communicating, you are the distinguished Airstreamer with a really cool Flamingo flying in the breeze from a curved pole in front of your AS ?? Well I finally found a seller, if you want another. Just let me know. I have one in the mai l!!

Jim
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Donna is very focused on the road and just doesn't take in the other trailers for what they are. She sees another vehicle coming toward us and is making sure she's doing all the right things so her usually quiet, reserved and undemonstrative partner ( that would be me) doesn't begin showing signs of fear and concern.

When I see one I either wave from the passenger side or just make a note that there goes another one we didn't acknowledge. The latter usually gets me a "you want me doing the driving or the social thing?".

Even though we are both on the shy side , in campgrounds or parking lots we always try to say hello and acknowledge other 'streamers and sister brands. Some folks are really happy to have a quick chat and others are obviously less than enthused. Oh well..........

And then there are the "others" who go way out of their way to ensure we are aware of them. Some to the point of being scary with weaving, or cutting someone else off so they are more visible to us as we come abreast, and those in CG's and Parking lots who want to spend quite a bit of time visiting even when it is obvious we are in a hurry, have other company visiting, or really are trying to eat our food while it is still warm. But at least they show their appreciation and that much is good.

Barry
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
And Robert - Is it considered OK here to ask a man with such obvious good taste just where such rare & fine beverage is acquired?

By the by - If my failing memory cells are still communicating, you are the distinguished Airstreamer with a really cool Flamingo flying in the breeze from a curved pole in front of your AS ?? Well I finally found a seller, if you want another. Just let me know. I have one in the mai l!!

Jim
Jim,

Sorry you didn't catch it, but I posted the link for the "Party Bird" on the Flamingo threads quite a while ago.

The "Happy Camper" link is in post 29, You really must pay more attention.

You may have left more cell's in the 60's than I did.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
We have always had fellow Airstreamers wave back. Even hauling a$$ late into the night recently on T-Day eve we passed a stream on I-8 and we were both flashing our lights so much I was afraid of spooking the surrounding traffic. It is a good tradition and adds to the camaraderie.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Bob,
You can't judge a book by it's cover, plus, it does just what the label says.

We tried it... Like I said, window cleaner!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote