Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Dang and I had 2 bottles of elixir still on hand after Thanksgiving. After all the help and friendliness on this forum, I guess I expected at least a howdy but like I said no Air Forums Stickers could be seen so everyone here is off the hook.
Also noticed when on the road these days that nobody moves back over after passing, they just stay in the left lane in there own world even after a friendly flash of the headlights. You can forget it completely when heading back home on a Sunday. Where has all the courtesy gone?

1970 Overlander
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
In our vehicle, the co-pilot watches for other Airstreams. The driver is too busy driving to pay attention otherwise. That's what we get for living and towing through a major metropolitan area.

If we see another Airstream in time, we will wave back.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
The "Happy Camper" wine makes a better window cleaner than an elixir. We went to Stonington Winery today and bought a mixed case of some excellent Chardonnays. There is a 23 footer (?) International a few sites down from us. Haven't seen them in a couple of days (must be at Foxwoods), but if we run into them tonight, they'll have an opportunity for a taste and a view through the scopes!
Bob Fowler

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California

Last time I did this some 30-40 years ago ; it cost me big time.

As I crossed the 10 yard line and then under the goal posts, a quick left to the tunnel and over the fence into the parking lot.
That's where they caught me. I woke up sometime later in an orange jump suit.
A fine and some conditional discharge followed. but I made more than the fines issued.
I won the bet.

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by campman View Post
Have you ever noticed that as the road gets smaller, from a huge interstate down to a gravel backroad, that the waves become more frequent? It is a proportional thing, I am sure...and maybe, the fewer the people the more friendly we become.
I think you've hit it on the noggin! How often do you even notice traffic in the oncoming lanes of an interstate? You're busy looking out for the people who want to pass you on your own side.

Thank you!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Smile Flashes and Waves

Traveling around Florida last week I got several waves and a couple flashes. Plus a couple going north on I-85. Lots of smiles from the folks who were passing me by.

There were plenty of Streams on the roads for sure.

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
We're Flashers!

And wavers!

We're usually so happy to be towing one of our Airstreams that we have found ourselves waving to drivers and passengers on either side of us on the road and we definitely wave to people on the street if they seem to be smiling or are just in slack jawed awe. Think of us as your friendly Airstream ambassadors!

We have homes in Tennessee and Arkansas and folks there still give you the one finger (index-thank you very much), if not full on wave, salute. And they still flash their lights if there is a hazard ahead.

We also move to the "slow" lane once we've overtaken another vehicle and flash our lights to cars/trailers/semi's ahead of us but in the lanes next to ours to indicate that they can move ahead to the lane we're occupying if they so desire.

Whenever we camp, there is always someone that invariably stops by for a tour. We've met the nicest people because we were towing an Airstream.

Happy Campers? Yup-that's us!

We'll look forward to seeing you on the road! (We'll be the one's flashing and waving!)
Gemma and Murray
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
We flash and wave whenever we encounter an AS. The lack of response hasn't thwarted our efforts. We thought that our "ugly step child" Argosy was not always considered to be worthy. We figure that if we stop, the snobs win and the uninitiated will never figure it out. We prefer the peace sign but don't "flash" it for fear of being branded as fanatics.
Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
kinda like mexray. drove an M.G. long time ago lots of waves. Ride a Harley now most riders wave. I see it as a nice touch. We wave to other a.s. folk. If they wave back great if not thats ok too.
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Having completed our first year of 'streamin, we saw ONE AS while on the road. One weekend we actually saw two ASs in the campground. We visited with both - I'm not sure either of them would have initiated the visits. On the road, in Virginia, we were passed by another AS (the only one we've seen while traveling) - we waved and so did the occupants of the other vehicle. We look and look for them, on the road and in every campground we enter but we haven't seen any others during our first year. We would like to and will keep looking - but we haven't found many to date. If you're out there, we'll see you one day. This, our first year, we made it to six states and next year we are looking at another four or five.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
Retired Fishing Guide
2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
I try to signal

I try to flash my lights and wave to on coming AS's I meet on the road. But sometimes I don't see them in time or I am busy getting instruction from the DW
2005 GMC CC D/A
2005 28' Classic
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 AM   #26
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Personal communication is out. Now one texts or emails another.

2007 28' Int CCD.
2011 F 250 Big Honking Diesel
DTV 5lnb on a tripod.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #27

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
The "Happy Camper" wine makes a better window cleaner than an elixir.
You can't judge a book by it's cover, plus, it does just what the label says.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

No excuse for it in the Park...walk up to'em with a good bottle of Airstream elixir and demand an explanation. It's all about protocol
Robert -
a) Is it crossing some unseen barrier here to ask just where such fine vintage vino is to be acquired?

b) Also - Are you not the discriminating Airstreamer who has a really cool Flamingo flying from a curved "poll" in front of your AS ? Well - after LOTS of searching the web I found If that link doesn't work, just put pink flamingos in your Yahoo search box & look for WARNING - You gotta really want one - they have a serious price on such a folly-based item. But, as we learned from ole Stanley Marcus years ago, folks with a defined sense of style will always pay well for high class junk.

I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote