Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
No traveling for awhile!

We had our 2005 Trailer broken into this weekend and what a mess. First they had to break the back window and of course scratch and damage the outer panels. Then just tear into the unit inside. They took the flat screen out, speakers, sound system, personal items and tools. It is such an invasion. It happened here in Colorado and of course they also stole from other neighbors. I am not sure where to start. We do have insurance but I can not for the life of me remember what was taken.
Der Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Man, what low life's.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ouch! I surely sympathize with you. Where was it parked?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That is a night mare. I hope the insursnce makes things right. Will you consider relocating? Are there any tips or additional informaion you feel the rest of us could benefit from?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
When I full time , i have been thinking of not locking the door .When i am away from the trailer but i will leave the tv on ,so if they do try it will be a quick snatch and grab.what do you think?
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Personal property

It's always wise to make a list of all the goodies someone has in their Airstream, along with the costs.

A little spiral notebook works just fine.

Never know when some idiot will hit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
That's so horrible. I really feel for you. Ours is parked about an hour away and I worry about it too. You must feel sick. I hope your insurance company works well with you. Best wishes.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
When I full time , i have been thinking of not locking the door .When i am away from the trailer but i will leave the tv on ,so if they do try it will be a quick snatch and grab.what do you think?
I have friends who do not lock their doors. They are of the opinion that anyone who would have the audacity to come up to your house and try the doors, will probably just go around back and break a window. No one else will know your doors are unlocked. It's all a matter of how much risk you can comfortably handle. Odds are nothing will happen, and if it does, you sustain less damage.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Sand View Post
We had our 2005 Trailer broken into this weekend and what a mess. First they had to break the back window and of course scratch and damage the outer panels. Then just tear into the unit inside. They took the flat screen out, speakers, sound system, personal items and tools. It is such an invasion. It happened here in Colorado and of course they also stole from other neighbors. I am not sure where to start. We do have insurance but I can not for the life of me remember what was taken.
Do you have photos from previous camping trips? Maybe they will show some of the items that were taken and or jog your memory. Guess everyone should make a list or take photos of the items in their trailers for just this reason.

Regards,
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
It's always wise to make a list of all the goodies someone has in their Airstream, along with the costs.

Andy
Sorry to hear....

We try to keep photos.....(not on the computer), even if everything isn't on an inventory list all the photos and most reciepts are in a safe place.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Long ago I had a fire and lost lots of things. As time goes by and you start to inventory what is missing you will remember many items. When you remember one thing it will jog your memory about what else you might have used something for and with it. Also mentally visualize what was in your cabinets, wardrobe, drawers and all other compartments, when you remember what was in some of those you will also remember what was in them. I did start a inventory when we first bought our a/s, but didn't keep it up very well. But with your little reminder, as we ready for this years camping season, think that I will inventory as we reload. thanks for a valuable reminder. And so sorry for your loss.
ps, ask your insurance co how long you have to remember all your stuff. Don't close the claim until you are satisfied that you have been reimbursed for your loss.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Terrible.... just terrible! I hope your insurance comes through like a champ for you! Good advice from Sempi2... keeping an inventory is good. I often just do a photo inventory. Not 100% accurate, but you can at least "see" the big stuff. With digital, it is so easy.

Hope the police find the miserable slugs who did this!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
Where do you have it parked as I too live in Monument and store mine off site.
seeflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Do you have photos from previous camping trips? Maybe they will show some of the items that were taken and or jog your memory. Guess everyone should make a list or take photos of the items in their trailers for just this reason.

Regards,
Carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sorry to hear....

We try to keep photos.....(not on the computer), even if everything isn't on an inventory list all the photos and most reciepts are in a safe place.
Hi, I'm not good at making lists, so I used a smaller memory card [as I bought larger memory cards, the smaller ones aren't being used] to take pictures of my house, inside and out, with everything possible in the pictures and keep it with me, vertually, all the time. I haven't done one of my trailer yet. My trailer is at home, but I wanted pictures of my property before we took trips with our Airstream.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
I'm so sorry to hear about this. We had our garage broken into years ago, and it really makes you feel violated. We also had a hard time figuring out what was missing. If I remember correctly, State Farm told us they would keep the claim open until we were sure we had discovered all the missing items. Your insurance agent should be able to help you put together an inventory of what was stolen. He or she has helped other clients deal with similar situations, and should have generic lists to jog your memory about what might have been stolen.

I really like the ideas everyone has posted here. I've been thinking of putting a list on the insides of our cabinets showing what items are in there - mainly so things get put away correctly. I also think we'll take a video at the beginning of the season, going over the interior (including the cabinets), and a quick snapshot or two of the inside of the trailer when we leave during the day.

Good luck; I hope you are able to get your trailer fixed and be ready to camp again soon.

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
A few years ago, when we had our Award trailer, we used to store it in what seemed like a fairly secure storage area in the city where we live. It was one of those mini-storage places, mostly garages, but they had room for about a dozen RV's.

It seemed well managed, had code entry gates, video camaras etc.

When we returned from a winter trip, we found that during our (fortunate) absence, vandals had damaged many of the parked RV's.

The parking area was fenced but backed onto railway tracks. close by was an overpass where the young ner'do wells would hand out underneath, paint their graffiti and no doubt partake of intoxicating or mind altering substances!

Well, seems this particular night they strolled down the tracks to where the RV's were parked and started hurling chunks on railroad track ballast at the RV's.

Damage was quite extensive and expensive, broken windows, dents, holes punched in fibreglass etc.

We were just lucky not to be there. Some folks took their RVs away. I was able to negotiate a more protected parking spot within the same compound.

When we got the AS, I was just too nervous about it, so I moved the trailer to a less convenient, but seemingly well run storage yard out in the country.

No guarantees, but at least it is not in a residential area - so far so good but you just never know.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Sand View Post
Welcome to the group, too bad it was such a downer first post.
I as a few others would like to know, where your unit was parked, conditions to look out for, besides knowing what has been taken and damaged. Inventory and insurance can relieve a person but this is something that would be easier to not experience. Hope you come back and let us know.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Really sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Hope you're able to recover quickly, from the loss and the feeling of being invaded.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Wow. That's terrible. I had my mother's house broken into while I was watching it one weekend. I couldn't believe the mess. It took a few months for her to figure out what was missing, and I'm not sure all of it was replaceable, but the insurance did cover the monitary loss. Hopefully you are not missing valuables that you cannot find again, and that you will get through these feelings of being violated without too much pain. I hope that the physical damage to the AS is reasonably repairable, and that you can get things back together soon.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hi everyone. What a wonderful bunch of people you all are and the caring messages have left my wife and I speechless. I have learned that you really need to keep track of items in your trailer. They have asked so many questions on serial numbers and if we have any records on things we have. Who keeps all that I thought. Well I have been very lucky to have office people that did keep track of most of it along with my wife. I had the unit stored at our commercial building in Colorado Springs and I thought it was safe. But with the way things are these days nothing is. The people took everything including our toothbrushes! Maybe they needed it more than we did and I have no trouble if that is the case. If they would have asked for help we would have certainly given it all to them, including the trailer.
Thanks to all of you for being so caring! What a wonderful group you all are and we hope to meet you all some day!
Do make lists of what you all have in your units, pictures, number and records.

Thanks again,

Dave and Sandy
Monument, CO
Der Sand is offline   Reply With Quote