Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
I'm so sorry to hear about this. We had our garage broken into years ago, and it really makes you feel violated. We also had a hard time figuring out what was missing. If I remember correctly, State Farm told us they would keep the claim open until we were sure we had discovered all the missing items. Your insurance agent should be able to help you put together an inventory of what was stolen. He or she has helped other clients deal with similar situations, and should have generic lists to jog your memory about what might have been stolen.

I really like the ideas everyone has posted here. I've been thinking of putting a list on the insides of our cabinets showing what items are in there - mainly so things get put away correctly. I also think we'll take a video at the beginning of the season, going over the interior (including the cabinets), and a quick snapshot or two of the inside of the trailer when we leave during the day.

Good luck; I hope you are able to get your trailer fixed and be ready to camp again soon.

Sharon

Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
A few years ago, when we had our Award trailer, we used to store it in what seemed like a fairly secure storage area in the city where we live. It was one of those mini-storage places, mostly garages, but they had room for about a dozen RV's.

It seemed well managed, had code entry gates, video camaras etc.

When we returned from a winter trip, we found that during our (fortunate) absence, vandals had damaged many of the parked RV's.

The parking area was fenced but backed onto railway tracks. close by was an overpass where the young ner'do wells would hand out underneath, paint their graffiti and no doubt partake of intoxicating or mind altering substances!

Well, seems this particular night they strolled down the tracks to where the RV's were parked and started hurling chunks on railroad track ballast at the RV's.

Damage was quite extensive and expensive, broken windows, dents, holes punched in fibreglass etc.

We were just lucky not to be there. Some folks took their RVs away. I was able to negotiate a more protected parking spot within the same compound.

When we got the AS, I was just too nervous about it, so I moved the trailer to a less convenient, but seemingly well run storage yard out in the country.

No guarantees, but at least it is not in a residential area - so far so good but you just never know.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Sand View Post
We had our 2005 Trailer broken into this weekend and what a mess. First they had to break the back window and of course scratch and damage the outer panels. Then just tear into the unit inside. They took the flat screen out, speakers, sound system, personal items and tools. It is such an invasion. It happened here in Colorado and of course they also stole from other neighbors. I am not sure where to start. We do have insurance but I can not for the life of me remember what was taken.
Welcome to the group, too bad it was such a downer first post.
I as a few others would like to know, where your unit was parked, conditions to look out for, besides knowing what has been taken and damaged. Inventory and insurance can relieve a person but this is something that would be easier to not experience. Hope you come back and let us know.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Really sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Hope you're able to recover quickly, from the loss and the feeling of being invaded.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Wow. That's terrible. I had my mother's house broken into while I was watching it one weekend. I couldn't believe the mess. It took a few months for her to figure out what was missing, and I'm not sure all of it was replaceable, but the insurance did cover the monitary loss. Hopefully you are not missing valuables that you cannot find again, and that you will get through these feelings of being violated without too much pain. I hope that the physical damage to the AS is reasonably repairable, and that you can get things back together soon.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Monument , Colorado
Hi everyone. What a wonderful bunch of people you all are and the caring messages have left my wife and I speechless. I have learned that you really need to keep track of items in your trailer. They have asked so many questions on serial numbers and if we have any records on things we have. Who keeps all that I thought. Well I have been very lucky to have office people that did keep track of most of it along with my wife. I had the unit stored at our commercial building in Colorado Springs and I thought it was safe. But with the way things are these days nothing is. The people took everything including our toothbrushes! Maybe they needed it more than we did and I have no trouble if that is the case. If they would have asked for help we would have certainly given it all to them, including the trailer.
Thanks to all of you for being so caring! What a wonderful group you all are and we hope to meet you all some day!
Do make lists of what you all have in your units, pictures, number and records.

Thanks again,

Dave and Sandy
Monument, CO
Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Dave and Sandy

Really sorry, and the worst of it is not what you have lost. Now every time you walk away from your coach you will wonder will it happen again. Had my home broken into when i lived in texas the emotional part is the worst. Dont like the open door idea a lot of petty crooks wont go the extra distance, but of course when they do its worse, but that takes more time and you may have the joy of catching them in the act.

While on the subject are there any effective security systems for trailers?

Kevin
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Good For You

Quote:
The people took everything including our toothbrushes! Maybe they needed it more than we did and I have no trouble if that is the case. If they would have asked for help we would have certainly given it all to them, including the trailer.
Dave & Sandy,

This is the certainly the attitude to have when it comes to material possessions.

Carol

Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Monument , Colorado
Hi Again

It has been asked what the conditions were where the break in occurred.
We had moved the unit to the back of our building in Colorado Springs due to the snow and wanting it out of the way for the snow plow people. I had backed it up to a vacant field there where there wasn't much light in the back of the building. So shame on me for where and how I parked it. The rest of our building and property is well lit and up until now we never had a problem. So I do believe that it was just a bad decision.

Thank you all again for the nice replies.

Dave & Sandy
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
It has been asked what the conditions were where the break in occurred.
I had backed it up to a vacant field there where there wasn't much light in the back of the building. So shame on me for where and how I parked it. So I do believe that it was just a bad decision.

Thank you all again for the nice replies.

Dave & Sandy
Don't beat yourself up. If someone wants in they will find a way no matter what you have done to protect your property. Only way is to stand guard every minute - do you want to do that? I know I don't, I will secure our stuff - all of it - as best we can, and make sure we have good insurance. And certainly hope for the best. Susan
Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Monument , Colorado
We have the trailer all put back together and replaced nearly everything so we are ready to go out this season! Yahooo!
Insurance took care of a lot of it and John Godwin of Colorado Springs repaired everything. Anyone needing an excellent Airstream person here in Colorado I recommend him! His web site is md4rvs.com
Thanks everyone for your comments. We have learned a lesson with this and that is to take a lot of pictures and put it away on a memory stick.
Hope to see you all one day out there.

Dave
Old 03-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
BAHSTAHD'S !! Each and every one !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
We have the trailer all put back together and replaced nearly everything so we are ready to go out this season! Yahooo!
Insurance took care of a lot of it and John Godwin of Colorado Springs repaired everything. Anyone needing an excellent Airstream person here in Colorado I recommend him! His web site is md4rvs.com
Thanks everyone for your comments. We have learned a lesson with this and that is to take a lot of pictures and put it away on a memory stick.
Hope to see you all one day out there.

Dave
Hope the weather, your directions, lets up soon so you can get out there and camp!

Carol
Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
So glad to hear you're ready to camp again! Safe travels - enjoy!

sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote