Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #41
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
D8 Cat

ok...one more translation---
Someone said:
" I suppose my english is more limited than most, but I usually can figure out what people are saying: can somebody translate that for me please? "
They were referring to what I said (in code):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but, I wasn't lost.
& I've gotten too many PMs from others who weren't lost either.

...for those who got lost 1/2 way down this thread, this subject of "trailer trash" .........applies to 'threads' as well,,,.
Just like RV parks, if the thread doesn't 'speak' to your trend of thought...you can always start a new one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translation: (from the author)...Ahem! Ahem! I have received so many PMs about this from people who say they totally understand what I'm saying; But, to try to make it more clear,
....what I meant was:
I was suggesting that it's a little like what someone said about RV parks...if you aren't pleased with what you see, you can choose not to stay there; the same holds true with [this] thread (any)---& many other things in life, if you don't enjoy the [posts], you can always not respond, or go to another thread..

[end of translation]

Is this "The Possum Lodge" ? ? ( oh poo...I guess only those who get BBC will know what I'm talking about..."The Red & Green Show"...? ) Well...for the Yankees...or those who are limited in understanding my 'native tounge'....how about "Home Improvement"...and Tim Allen's favourite "Arh..Arh..Arh."

That's what this thread should be called... then all of us women...would leave this Thread. (like I'm going to do now)
The Motto of the Possum Lodge...?
"I am a man---(pause)---I can change---(pause) ---- if I have to ---(pause)---(pause)---I guess"

now, get on with your 'bad selves'...
P.S. To Pick & John: I like the D8...especially the little one. YES I would use one like either one of those on some of these parks...for I, too (surprise surprise) cannot stand "trailer-trash" (those who have ZERO pride about their spaces in the parks.) Hence the reason for my group (below).
I would want at LEAST 8 acres. Preferrably 15 or 20.

Be kind to each other (& to me)
...ya never know when [you] might meet up later!

(see ya! ) My Motto:
I am woman---(pause)---I can change---(pause)----When I WANT to~!

P.S. A new photo of the door art on Bear (inside of entrance door) has just been posted. FYI..
Old 05-17-2003, 12:22 PM   #42

I am a woman too, last time I checked.

Motto ? I don't have one. It's all B.S (Boy Scout, I mean).

And I say to all that :

Talking about trailer trash, we did a show in a "trailer trash campground", Southern Tier of NY.
"Normal" RVers pulled in for the show, and in a corner were the "permanent".

Here is the pix of a fine exemple of those. I am sure she could be fine company for some people.

*****PICTURE DELETED*****
the woman in the picture is my mother
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
We're all God's children.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:40 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
We're all God's children.
Amen

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:10 PM   #45

There seems to be some misunderstanding here about the picture I posted.

This woman was not "mentally challenged" as you may think. She
just appears that way in the pix, she was just checking what was happening in the "other part" of the campground.

They were several families living there, in a corner, with broken down vehicles, falling apart trailers, packs of dogs,.....
Most of them were drunk for the best part of the day. Kids running wild, trying to steal anything they could.

That's what I meant by the type of "campers" few people like to have for neighbours.

I see too that my use of the term "normal RVer" was mis-interpreted (my fault): what I meant was "more typical RVer", with normal looking rigs. Not people just leaving there in rather deplorable conditions.

I was back to what this thread was about: people ruinning the camping experience for others.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #46
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by femuse
There seems to be some misunderstanding here about the picture I posted....
The only misunderstanding I could see was that YOU posted a picture of some woman in a campground and passed judgement about that individual on a public forum.
Some day someone could do that with a picture of you for their own reasons.
Very uncalled for!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
There is no misunderstanding.

You posted a picture on the Forums of a person who is not in the "Public Domain" and captioned her "Trailer Trash". After dicussing your poor lack of judgement, the Moderators decided to delete it.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #48

Quote:
the Moderators decided to delete it.
I don't have a problem with that.

But: I just did not pass jugement on somebody in a few minutes.

We, and a few hundred other campers spent 5 days, "interacting" with a few dozen people who were drunk most of the time, either shouting or in a drunken stupor.
An experience we were not expecting in a campground.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to suekozin
Re:No (rv) parking

Cat: Thanks for the invite, I just joined your group. I am always looking for clean safe park with no restrictions. Also, I have found that most park hosts can't tell the age of the Airstream. We replaced our 73 Tradewind Land Yacht with a 68 International Tradewind Land Yacht, so we will find out if "you can fool some of the people all of the time."

Sue Kozin
WBCCI #4734
Escapees #52374
1968 Land Yacht International

At least I haven't been bored.....s kozin
suekozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:19 AM   #50
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Heat in The Kitchen

Peter H...thank you so much for your strong (character-filled) statement. I appreciate it...
I had just decided to "take my ball and go home" (last post above)...but after your comment and a few others, & since I am the one who started this Thread...I am STAYING.
FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T PREDISPOSED TO GO BACK AND READING THE FIRST POST THAT BEGAN THE THREAD...
HERE IT IS:

>>On another List I belong to, a member posted this comment, from her own 'travel' experiences:

>So many parks have NO RVs signs. Was up at the Jupiter Inlet a few
weeks ago taking pictures and saw signs everywhere restricting camper
parking ....Hmmm.<<

This is a horrible state of affairs....
I want to get a cross-section of people who can post their experiences in this vein.

How many have seen this "NO RVs" sign up? What's the reason?
Anyone!!!
........Cat<<

THAT, my fellow forumers, was the reason for this thread...My mother had a wonderful saying I know most of you have heard..."water seeks it's own level"...and people do too (that's what she was referring to of course.

I live on the I-5 corridor and trashy people abound. One who doesn't want to live near this sort of influence, will have to search diligently for neat and clean RV parks. I refuse to live near their squallor, or in a park that allows it.
If there's a trailer 'court' where they live...I will look elsewhere. If 'they" somehow manage to move in to where I live, I will consort with the managers until these 'unkempt people' have been given enough pressure to go somewhere more their 'level'. Yes, some are just 'down on there luck people'...but to be fair to those of us who will KILL to have SOAP in our meager supplies, there are those who are truly too ignornant to care about the appearance, the cleanliness (or lack thereof), the behavior of their children, dogs, each other, or ...whatever. That type of person make a very undesireable place for the rest of us.

While I find it terribly judgmental and cruel to make a display of (by photo), or by pointing fingers (I would NEVER be unkind or rude to any less-than-tidy neighbors ("trashy")...I would reserve my right to not join them for chit-chat, coffee, a walk, nor to allow them to enter my domaine (my mother also said, "you are judged by the company you keep"). Wise soul, my mother.

We are, INDEED, all God's children...and never know when one of "those poeple" might BE God...."judge not, least you also be judged".

BUT THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD.........AHEM!! AHEM!!! WAS>>>How many have seen this "NO RVs" sign up? What's the reason?
Anyone!!! ?
Now...(of course you also may have comments with regard to the rest of this...I don't mean to presume I have the last word..)...but
could we please discuss the original reason for this thread...
then,
I'll stay
here
with
my Ball....
peace/love/joy

(P.S. My group Royal Trailer Trash does not have members who are judgmental...just members who are proud to live with pride in their RV living.)

(no one said anything about the progress of my door art....(boo hoo)... (new photo in my photos) ...
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:32 AM   #51
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
To who it was who said this:
>>But: I just did not pass jugement on somebody in a few minutes.

We, and a few hundred other campers spent 5 days, "interacting" with a few dozen people who were drunk most of the time, either shouting or in a drunken stupor.
An experience we were not expecting in a campground.<<

I have 2 questions:
1. Why did you bother "interacting" with those whose behavior was you found so repugnant?

2. Why didn't you call the police?

Even State Parks wouldn't allow that sort of behavior.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Even State Parks wouldn't allow that sort of behavior.
State Parks don't. Some private campgrounds do, especially when it comes to permanent residents. We encountered one where the owners left the week they rented the campgroung for a show. Did not want to know. In one case, in PA, a "permanent" was selling mugs with free refills of beer to 12-13 years old kids. An other one, same place, was shooting a canon, all night, every years we went there.
We know of a case of one of the biggest and best rated campground in PA, where the son of a friend got robbed and beaten by a "resident" kid. The owner refused to hear their story, but he had enough clout with the local police that it did not go anywhere.

I'd take a State Park anytime over a private park. If I had the choice.
Quote:
1. Why did you bother "interacting" with those whose behavior was you found so repugnant?
I did not go and interact with them. The 3 parts of the grounds were supposed to be "segregated". One part for permanent residents, one part for "regular" campers, one for a festival. We were in the 3rd one. A very nice shady park. "They" came, on and off, to where I and other were (stuck there for 5 days, no way to get out)
Quote:
2. Why didn't you call the police?
_ 1: the only pay phone was out of order. Closest one was over 15 miles. On foot. Could have borrowed a cell phone, if there was any reception. Rather out of the way. But:

_ 2: as far as I know, "they" owned their sites. It was some kind of 1/2 public campground, 1/2 privately owned sites or permanent lease.

I have to say that this was one of the worse situation we encountered in over 20 years. A few other times came close though.

Check how we were parked 20 feet from the stage. Stuck there from Tuesday eve to Monday morning.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:29 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question I'm confused

femuse

You said that this incident happened in PA..

Yet, your caption under your picture which you cited:

Quote:
Working in the Southern Tier of New York
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:01 PM   #54

I was talking about 3 events:

1_ the original, in NY, way out west of Binghampton, just south of Rt 17. That were the pix is from.

2_ the story about the beer and the canon, was a relatively nice campground. I will only say is in the Williamsport area.

3_ The story about the kid being mugged was in a high price campground, I will only say in the Gettysburg area.

Sorry if this created some confusion. I was trying to make a point that you can encounter problems in any type of private campground, regardless of the rating.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:05 AM   #55
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Retail Parking Lot ABUSE

I was looking for a specific thread tonight, and realized that there is a new thread that actually melds with this one totally.

It's called "Are you allowed to stay the night at Wal Mart?" Any of you who are still interested in this topic, might just find the connection, and glean some provocative brain stimuli from read the posts on it.

............Cat