Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Niagara Falls Trip Advice

We are planning on traveling to Niagara Falls this summer from RI and wanted to get some advice from those of you who have been recently. (We went years ago, when we were first married) but want to return to show our Son.
We will stop at Howe Caverns on the way, and I remember an amusement park somewhere in New York?
Any advice on campgrounds either along the way and also close by the Falls would be great.
I read on a similar post that it may be better to camp on the US side so as not to worry about having my AS potentially dis-assembled at the border? Is this true?
Other places or situations to avoid or not to miss?
Thanx to All in advance,
Bill
Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
If you go into Canada,
Do not have Smith or Wesson with you.
Have little alcohol with you either way.
It makes it easier if you have an overzealous gaurd either way, if you have passports for everyone.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
All that, and strangely enough, they were worried that we might have a satellite dish that we might sell while in Canada. What's up with that? Other than that, they were nicer than the US customs when we came back home, That guy was a ...........

Oh, and be sure to have vets shot record for you dog or car. The US guy was hell on that. We had them though.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Don't try to go over the Falls in a barrel
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Not sure of all the details but....

In the near future passports will be required to re-enter the US.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
In the near future passports will be required to re-enter the US.
All the details are listed here. The best thing to do is not have my wife with you ! One wrong word at the border can change your life. I will not give the details of my upclose and personal visit with the US Customs at Niagara Fall, NY. Ask me around the campfire sometime, you will get a laugh out of it...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Londonderry , New Hampshire
We made the trip two years ago and stayed at the Niagara Falls KOA, which was very conveniently located. Tour bus companies stop on a regular basis.

Niagara Falls, New York Camping, Niagara Falls Campground in New York- KOA in Niagara Falls, New York

Other than the usual activities, I would highly recommend the Niagara Falls Whirlpool Jetboat tour. It is simply awesome!

Niagara Falls Whirlpool Jetboat Ride

Finally, Buffalo is home to the most important culinary advancement of our time, buffalo wings. They were invented at the Anchor Bar. The restaurant walls are covered with photos of the famous people that have visited, including US Presidents. Wings are the main course, if you have a steak, it is a side dish.

Anchor Bar - Home of the Original Buffalo Chicken Wing

Have fun!

Keith
LoydBonifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Thanks for the link AZ.

Will passport be required for children?

I am assuming it will be easier to camp on US side and do day trips to the Canadian side with just the truck?
Any recomendation on campgrounds in the area or along the way?

Thanks for reminding me about S&W, they are always riding shotgun (pun intended)! I will make sure they stay behind for this one.

Bill
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
One of the coolest things I did on the way to Niagra Falls as a teenager was to stop in Elmira and go soaring. This is a definte if you like flying, there is nothing quite like it.

Harris Hill Soaring Center, Elmira, NY

We stayed overnight in Elmira and also visited the Corning Museum of Glass.

PS...Travel Channel is also doing a special this Sat. morning about things to do in Niagra Falls
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
niagara falls

If going into Canada (a much better viewing of the Falls) it would be much easier to just take the truck. there were some Mom and Pop campgrounds on Niagara Falls Blvd but don't know if they are still there.
When crossing the border I suggest the Queenston bridge - much newer, nicer than the Rainbow bridge or Peace bridge.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoydBonifide
We made the trip two years ago and stayed at the Niagara Falls KOA, which was very conveniently located. Tour bus companies stop on a regular basis.

Niagara Falls, New York Camping, Niagara Falls Campground in New York- KOA in Niagara Falls, New York

Other than the usual activities, I would highly recommend the Niagara Falls Whirlpool Jetboat tour. It is simply awesome!

Niagara Falls Whirlpool Jetboat Ride

Finally, Buffalo is home to the most important culinary advancement of our time, buffalo wings. They were invented at the Anchor Bar. The restaurant walls are covered with photos of the famous people that have visited, including US Presidents. Wings are the main course, if you have a steak, it is a side dish.

Anchor Bar - Home of the Original Buffalo Chicken Wing

Have fun!

Keith
Thanx Loyd, I remember seeing the jet-boats and thinking that would be a blast. We will do that this time!

Never stayed at a KOA, it seems to be a love/hate thing...what is up with KOA's?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Billtex,

You are right about the love/hate attitudes toward KOAs. I treat them like the motels of camping, rather than destination resorts. Their catalog is very handy when going cross country, and they almost always have pull thru sites, which is great for quick overnight stays.

That being said, there are some KOAs which are good as resort destinations, such as the one in Kissimmee near Walt Disney World.

The Niagara Falls KOA is somewhat better than average, and the owners were very accommodating. I plan to visit the Falls again and I will stay there.

Keith
LoydBonifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Maybe a little out of the way, but near Geneseo New York is Letchworth State Park, with a huge gorge ( really huge) called the Grand Canyon of the east. Water falls and terrific views.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yes to Passports for Kids...

The new passport rule kids in for all, and impacts returns from Canada and Mexico, in spirit of fighting terrorism... Prices are up and lead time extended, so it pays to get started earlier on application process. You are likely to have to get "official" copy of birth certs with raised seal/stamp to accompany application and checks and pictures, and then wait about 7 weeks...

Satellite dishes are embargoed to prevent Canadians from accessing "foreign" TV and depriving local stations of ad revenues... Apparently too many folks smuggled receivers and dishes across the border, and used PO boxes in NY to handle billing, as way to access illegal American TV... Who Knew??

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Maybe a little out of the way, but near Geneseo New York is Letchworth State Park, with a huge gorge ( really huge) called the Grand Canyon of the east. Water falls and terrific views.
Yes! That is the other place I was trying to think of...we will make this part of our trip.
Thanx, Alan
Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We were just there this past August; yes you will need passports in '07 for Canada and Mexico. We stayed at the Canadian KOA and it was great. No big deal crossing into Canada with the AS, just keep all the way to the left when coming to the stop gates and look for the RV lanes. A few simple questions, show them passports and we were on our way. The views are much better on the Canadian side and we had lots of fun in town. A short drive from KOA to downtown parking. You will have a good time!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As to border crossings, Page and I have our passports and that makes it much easier. We made a bunch of crossings this summer - from ND to Sask, then from BC to AK and YT to AK and finally AB to Montana. The only problem we had was the last crossing into Montana at Chief Mountain - where we lost to the gendarmes what was to have been a very savory tenderloin of good Alberta beef because of mad cows. I wasn't mad, but I remember being disappointed at whatever else it was that I had for dinner that night.

Most important tip - Be Nice.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Satellite dishes are embargoed to prevent Canadians from accessing "foreign" TV and depriving local stations of ad revenues... Apparently too many folks smuggled receivers and dishes across the border, and used PO boxes in NY to handle billing, as way to access illegal American TV... Who Knew??
On our last trip up north we didn't have our satellite with us. Do you mean that you absolutely can't take one across the border or that you just can't sell it up there?

Oh yeah, my wife didn't like KOA cause she felt they couldn't spell. Then we used a few going cross country and now she has changed her mind. We use them every time we travel long distances. They are really handy and always neat and clean. They always have drive throughs too. As for a destination, well, they aren't usually where we want to spend time.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

You asked about an amusement park in your posting - right next door to the Niagra Falls KOA is Martin's Fantasy Island park - they even have their own entrance from the KOA to the park. Perhaps that is the one you remembered.

Martin's Fantasy Island - Western New York's Most Affordable and Fun Theme Park!

The KOA is alright as far as KOA's go - if you read the reviews on the web, some love it, others hate it. They do have a variety of sites, some are in an open field, some are wooded and some of their pull thru sites are paved. As a base of operations for visiting the falls area it worked out just fine for us.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

We went to the falls 2 years ago and stayed at the US side KOA. YUCK! Campground was dirty, our reservations were messed up and the water hookup leaked. Even though we asked them to fix it every day they did nothing about it. Would not go back.

When we camp locally we always go to state parks and national forest campgrounds. It's only when we travel afar we stay at KOA's. We have been to some really nice ones like Bar Harbor ME., Gettysburg PA.
Alumi-Naught is offline   Reply With Quote