Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Niagara/Buffalo to Myrtle Beach Route?

It's along way off but my wife and I are planning our spring vacations (have to book time off work WAY in advance) and she really wants to go to Myrtle Beach. Something about shoveling snow makes me want to plan an Airstream Adventure!

I've never been to Myrtle beach, but we've driven to Florida on 79/77. Google maps gives me 2 options, the 79/77 which I've traveled lots, or south out of Buffalo past Allegheny to 99 then the 95. I've never been this way beyond Allegheny State Park.

Any recommendations on route or stops along the way?

I"ll be traveling in the spring, with my wife, 18 month old daughter and our '77 Safari. I set a maximum of 450 miles per day towing (that's what I've been comfortable with in the past) but traveling with a little girl requires more stops or traveling in the dark when she's sleeping. We love stopping at roadside attractions and doing side trips along our route and making the journey part of the vacation. South of the Border will be a guaranteed stop for us! We have generators so no hookups is an option but we like state parks and KOA's too.

Thanks!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
From Buffalo, 219 to 153 to I-80. Penn 970 south to US 322. South to I-99, I-76 to I-70, to US 522, to I-81, south to I-64 east tp 151, south to US-29 down to Greensboro, then I-73 /74 south to Hamlet, nc, and take 38 south to 501, then south into Myrtle Beach.

For certain I would avoid the I-95 corridor...been there done that dozens of times... never pleasant.

I have overnight parking in Greensboro…full hook up if interested.

However, Myrtle Beach is the tourist trap of the century. If you go early, before school is out, maybe acceptable, but there are far more pleasant venues on the East Coast. Hatteras Island at North Carolina’s Outer Banks is one.

If you have more questions, let us know. I am certain you can find some very interesting side trips on the way down.

Happy Trails and good luck.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
Niagara/Buffalo to Myrtle Beach Route?

I also always avoid 95 when we can. From CT we usually head west to catch 81 to go North or South. Much less white knuckled ride.
If you do decide to cut over to 95,We have done the Delaware bay bridge and tunnels before and really enjoyed that.13 is a really long and slow route, but worth it in the end, and Norfolk of coarse has the battleship Wisconsin you can tour.
Enjoy your trip.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Thanks for the comments.

I work in Niagara Falls so I'm highly educated in the ways of tourist traps.
That's part of our desire to see Myrtle Beach, I'll put on my fanny pack, socks and sandals, hang a camera around my neck and by crappy overpriced souvenirs from kitschy shops! It may sound silly but we love doing this type of trip. The more silly things we can take a picture in front of the better. Worlds largest crab, here we come!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Then Myrtle Beach is definitely the place. 😎
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Outlet malls, pancake breakfast restaurants, seafood, beachwear shops yup Myrtle Beach. Enjoy! Stop in at Merrill's Inlet area at the south end of MB many restaurants on the marshwalk.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Magdalena , New Mexico
The best thing about Myrtle Beach is its closeness to Savannah, one of the loveliest cities in the U.S. Plan on spending time in the city.
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
The best thing about Myrtle Beach is its closeness to Savannah, one of the loveliest cities in the U.S. Plan on spending time in the city.
AMEN AMEN AMEN!

But seriously if you love a tourist trap, there's nothing quite like "South of the Border". And it's just off of I-95. Lucy and Desi would be right at home in the Long Long Long trailer. We should really rally there once just for the atmosphere.

I agree with the "Avoid I-95" recommendations, though it's less horrid if you pick it up in Southern VA or Northern N. Carolina.

Paula
Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Paula,

C'mon now SC needs tourists and how do explain South of the Border and keep a straight face? Kinda like Wall Drug w/o the ice water and all the rest. Except for the fireworks.

Comparing MB to Savannah, not fair. And its a long ride but can take you thru Georgetown, Charleston and the low country of SC if you hug the coast.

Bayou welcome to Airforums.

Aldeanfan, see if you can find some shrimp and grits on a menu in SC, its surprisingly delicious.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Well, I was

Gonna suggest my favorite place in all of NC, and that's the Outer Banks, but I don't think there's much for an 18 month old. Parents, YES, but man, oh man. The good seafood you can buy @ the seafood shops, or what you can bring back to the dock if you charter a boat will knock your socks off after ya grill it. Dolphin, Tuna, Wahoo (my favorite, better n chickin) Red fish, Stripers, the list goes on & on. The surf fishing is awesome! Did I mention that the warm waters of the Gulf Stream are only 20 miles offshore in the winter, and will push in as close as 8-10 miles in the summer? OMG the fishing is AWESOME! I get excited just thinking about the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. She is an amazing lighthouse, and how they saved her from the sea, is quite the story. WORTH every step to climb inside her spiralling staircase to the top of her mast. Incredible views. So much prettier to view from your own boat while fishing. Wait...we're talking about CAMPING here...sorry. I was reminiscing.

If you can get over to the OBX from VA Beach w/o hitting too much traffic, I would say it's well worth it. There are a few, not many campgrounds along the OBX. The beaches are just stunning, and not crowded at all. Ocracoke island is one of the quaintest towns, with lots of shops to explore, and plenty of home made ice cream. Lots of history, and the free ferry ride over to Ocracoke will take you by one of the most dangerous inlets on the entire E coast, Hatteras inlet.
Hatteras Landing | Outer Banks, North Carolina is right where you board the ferry over to Ocracoke. That free ferry runs every 15 min in the summer, every 30 in the offseason & spring.
Once you get over to the island of Ocracoke, ya gotta eat here: Howard's Pub - Home Some great beers n burgers, and even kids meals can be had there @ very reasonable prices. Go early as they do draw a crowd because the food is awfully good.
You can take the ferry from Ocracoke over to Cedar Island then hit the Croatan National Forest. Plenty of things to do there. Then head S down to Wilmington for a stop at the Battleship NC. Plenty of veterans there that will answer all of your questions about the mighty vessel she is. Lots of things to do & see in Wilmington, and once you're done there, you can head W on Rt 74 to get to that ultimate of cheezy towns, S OF DA BORDER!!
Welcome to our great state of NC. We have some of the friendliest folks on the E coast here. Safe trip, take your time, and when ya hit Myrtle Beach, stay @ the state park on the S side of MB. We were just there 2 weeks ago. Nice place, plenty of heated shower facilities w lots of hot H2O. Not TOO close on the camping sites, and walking distance to the beach and a pier. Happy Streamin'!
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Paula,

C'mon now SC needs tourists and how do explain South of the Border and keep a straight face? Kinda like Wall Drug w/o the ice water and all the rest. Except for the fireworks.

Comparing MB to Savannah, not fair. And its a long ride but can take you thru Georgetown, Charleston and the low country of SC if you hug the coast.

Bayou welcome to Airforums.

Aldeanfan, see if you can find some shrimp and grits on a menu in SC, its surprisingly delicious.
I never try to explain South of the Border. It's best to let folks go in unprepared. I've never been there, but I'm pretty sure there's a place in the far Northwest that beats it; "Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn".
Old 01-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
If you have never been to Washington DC, I recommend you take a day to do so. It is just about the mid-way point to Myrtle and within your daily limit. Greenbelt Park in Maryland is a national campground just outside the city that is very close to Metrorail. Driving a TV downtown is not recommended. I-95 south in the DC area at rush hour (3-7) or on the weekends is usually a nightmare, but at any other time it’s as good as any other route.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
I would recommend avoiding the two bike weeks in May at Myrtle, especially with an 18 mo. old child. Very loud.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Thanks for the heads up about Bike Week!
My wife is from Port Dover Ontario, so we are very familiar with Motorcycle Rally's, not a place for children!

As for South of the Border - I've been there and got the T-shirt

Everywhere i wear the South of the Border Shirt, people want to shake my hand, hug me, and tell me about their trip to see Pedro!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
It's a small world after all!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Avoid I 95 if at all possible. I run from Pittsburgh and always run down 79-19-77-26-95 when going to anywhere south of Myrtle, but myrtle would be about the same.

Our spring trip is going to be OBX, have not been in 20 years and looking forward to it.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
DO NOT go through Allegheny!!! Just get on 90 head west to Erie, get on 79. The shortcut on Route 19 is definitely shorter but it's real hilly and I plan to avoid it this summer on our maiden voyage northward to WNY in our International. So we'll pass by 19 and head toward Charleston, WV. Then get on 77S and when you get near the Charlotte area you're going to take whatever highway it is that goes east toward Mathews, NC. 510 I think.

As a WNY native turned Lowcountry boy, I would strongly encourage you to venture further south than MYR. Charleston is amazing and Savannah right there with it. True southern culture and eating, not the Vegas style Myrtle Beach.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
DO NOT go through Allegheny!!! Just get on 90 head west to Erie, get on 79. The shortcut on Route 19 is definitely shorter but it's real hilly and I plan to avoid it this summer on our maiden voyage northward to WNY in our International. So we'll pass by 19 and head toward Charleston, WV. Then get on 77S and when you get near the Charlotte area you're going to take whatever highway it is that goes east toward Mathews, NC. 510 I think.

As a WNY native turned Lowcountry boy, I would strongly encourage you to venture further south than MYR. Charleston is amazing and Savannah right there with it. True southern culture and eating, not the Vegas style Myrtle Beach.
Why not wrong with going through Allegheny?

We often start out trips to the US by crossing on Friday night after work and staying withing a few hours of the border. Since we're coming from Canada, we don't bring any food what so ever from home to avoid hassles at customs. By crossing Friday after work, we can stop at the grocery store and stock the trailer, then get a good start traveling Saturday morning since we don't have to pack up, cross the border and then find a grocery store. Somewhere near Allegheny would be a convenient Friday night stop for us - any reason no to? I have a small, light trailer, and a V8 Truck so hills don't scare me!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
It's just a lousy drive but it's a pretty one. If you're not in a hurry and don't mind the changes from 35 to 60 to 45 to whatever constantly. Several different roads to turn onto and off of. I did it one time and swore I'd never do it again but I wasn't towing and I was "trying to make time." Keep in mind too that New York State has zero money and State roads that aren't near NYC are completely neglected until they are literally as bad as driving on dirt roads.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I still prefer the I 79 to 19 in WV to 77. As you enter NC Left exit on 74/52 thru Winton Salem...to 40 east. Near Greensboro 220 S. through Rockingham 74 and eventually Rt 9. We really enjoy Myrtle Beach Travel Park...NORTH Myrtle Beach..very close to the NC/SC border. We do the day trips to the inlet and Charleston and ?? The campground is Ocean-front clean and kid friendly. I'm a veteran camper but a newbee with our first Airstream..and my first post!
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote