Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Next best trailer?

We've had some less than pleasant issues with our 19' Bambi. Many I believe would exsist no matter what brand of trailer we had. I have been working on my wife to move to a 23 FB, thereby moving the bed away from all but one wall and for some other roomy issues. My question is what is the next best trailer other that AS. I don't plan on owing anything other than an AS but I have to impress my wife how far from the competition the AS models really are.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There are lots of blogs out there with interesting food for thought. Here's just one:

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/best...v-2015-ca-show
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Gene, if you were to spell out the specific issues you have had with your A/S, then others could more easily chime in on whether the problems are unique to A/S or simply common problems faced by RV's in general.

You might also define what it is about an A/S that makes it the "best". That would shed some light on whether these attributes are unique to the A/S design. For instance, if the rounded, shiney aluminum shape rises to the top of your ( or your wife's ) list, then you may simply have to put up with some other shortcoming in order to own the attributes of shape and color.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have seen some interesting tents set up on utility trailers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Trailer crazy

Vintage Kin Owner
Topanga , California
I think Big Foot makes a well built trailer. It's one piece fiberglass not vacuum bonded or pinch rolled. A bit rounded but still square enough to support cabinet space. Some of their models have very large widows. Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
I would have to say an Artic Fox, the best SOB.
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The best that I have seen is the Oliver Travel Trailer made in Tennessee.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Thanks for the quick responces. I probably should have left out the issues comment. Those are for my wife and I to hash out. The other brands are what I was after. Prior to buying the Bambi, I looked at many trailers, but I had already made up my mind that the AS was the only one because of its appearance and I thought all the best componets. After all it is the most expensive, right? I just want to show her, and myself, why AS is the way to go.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Owning an Airstream is purely emotional. They use the same components and systems as every other brand on the market. As expensive as new Airstreams are there are trailers that are more expensive and they all seem to have the same issues if you follow any other brands forums. There are other trailers that are much less prone to catostrophic leaks and the resulting floor failures. Owning and maintaining any trailer is just like boat ownership. It is a constant job of preventative maintenance and upkeep. Wally had it right but there is always room for improvement of anything made by man. All that said, at this time I can not imagine owning any other brand.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
i was all set to buy an Arctic Fox 25', twin swivel chairs and a light and bright interior, until i reread the specs and realized it was actually closer to 30', LOA. that is just to big a trailer for the areas we frequent so by a whim, we stopped by the AS dealer in Covington. They had 4 2014s they wished to clear off the lot so i made them a crazy offer, and they accepted. 25' front bedroom with a beautiful light wood and light vinyl floor interior, ultra leather, and of course lots of windows to bring the light inside. best part of this AS is it's not a cave with dark everything inside. and yes, we did walk through several AS's that suffered from these dark 'designer' interiors, not for us. would i do it again? maybe. good to keep in mind all gear has warts.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We bought an Airstream because we wanted the look, feel, and legacy of an Airstream. Coming from a good cruising sailboat, I was struck by how cheaply made and inaccessible our trailer is for maintenance and repair. In our travels we have come across numerous other brands, less expensive, with some interesting features and basically the same equipment. But none of them are an Airstream with the close community. I really do not think an AS deserves a premium so unless you are set on an AS, look around.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I have towed two different pop ups and two different box types (SOB). Once I towed an Airstream there is no other trailer that I would risk my life towing. I would suggest that you take some time and go to a well stocked Airstream dealer. Not knowing just where in Michigan you live, you could go to the Airstream factory. It is only about 110 miles south of Toledo, Ohio off of I75 in Jackson Center.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Show her an Avion..... then you'll both want one.

If you are patient, you'll find one in good shape at a decent price.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream stands alone, well above the remainder we believe. No one else has the aluminum panels riveted to a curved aluminum frame, aerodynamic in all directions, semi-monoquoque construction for lightweight strength and timeless style, clear long-lasting aluminum finish outside and in, independent suspension for excellent handling, easy towing, and low entry height. It is always repairable and the design timeless, beautiful in and out.

Airstream interiors are available in moderate to high-end cabinetry in styles to suit modern to traditional tastes with cheap to decent quality fixtures and appliances. Owner upgrades are possible and common. Floorplans are practical and concise. Construction is as good as any and far better than most.

We have traveled and camped extensively for 50 years in various camping modes, now we spend seven months year with our Airstream in retirement. Our Airstream is near perfect for what we do. We understand the maintenance needs to control corrosion and water damage as well as system servicing and regularly do them. What breaks we fix. It would be nice to be bigger when camped, smaller on the road; the moderate Airstream sizes a nice compromise for everything.

No other can meet these practical and design qualities for us. The nearest competitor is the rest lumped together bidding for a distant second.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The RV industry in general seems to suffer from a lack of caring about getting things right. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is the cheapest trailer made or the most expensive motor home, fit and finish are iffy.

To answer the question about other trailers to look at, the short answer is there aren't any. From what I can tell, Airstreams are the most expensive travel trailers made (not counting custom-made coaches). Part of that high cost is the way the coaches are made - lots of hand-made parts, the riveted construction, etc. The appliances are the same ones that go in other brands. If one is looking at high quality coaches, though, with higher-end amenities, there are several to look at. Several brands have already been mentioned, and I'd suggest the Open Range coaches. They have several lines, so look mainly at the top two or three.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Noting that one of your issues with the 19' Airstream was space around the bed, I would caution you considering a 23 FB or 25 queen bed model. What appears to be space around the back side of the bed is not space enough to walk around, it only moves it away from the wall a few inches. You would need a 27' or larger for a walk-around queen bed. The 25's however offer twin bed option.

cheryl
Old 04-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Noting that one of your issues with the 19' Airstream was space around the bed, I would caution you considering a 23 FB or 25 queen bed model. What appears to be space around the back side of the bed is not space enough to walk around, it only moves it away from the wall a few inches. You would need a 27' or larger for a walk-around queen bed. The 25's however offer twin bed option.

cheryl
The above is all true. We went from a 19 Bambi to a 25 FB with a queen bed and while there isn't true walking space. Your face, shoulders, hips or knees are not jammed up against a wall. The 25 took us away from the sleeping in a box feeling. We could also sit on the throne and close the door. We only kept the 19 footer a month.

Huge difference in comfort.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think "Goin camping" and I would agree the best next trailer from a 19' Airstream (a 20' in our case) is a 25' Airstream. The increased functional and sensual space is remarkable. You would be impressed.

cheryl
Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Some of their models have very large widows. Cris
Widows? Not only "widows", but very large ones? I love typos, some are really funny.

But, there are many trailers that get better ratings and Airstreams ratings are pulled up by the design and towability. True that lots of things are common to all RV's—the appliances and many other parts, all of which can go bad and are expensive to replace.

There are a number of cousins, all of them out of business. But restored ones can be had. Avion was mentioned above, but there is Silverstreak and others. Argosy was made by Airstream some time ago as a cheaper version of the Airstream. They too have been restored by owners and some may be for sale. Check the Forum Classifieds and the internet.

It seems like your major issue is the bed. You may notice on the Classifieds that a lot of people are entranced by the cute factor of Bambis, but they find them too small and then want to trade up. The 23' is substantially roomier and the 25' more so. Though a 27' or 28' would be nice, we are happy with our 25' and have travelled as long as 8 weeks in it without feeling cramped. Although the queen in the 25' has only a small space on one side of the bed, you, if you are in the inside, have to crawl over your partner or get out at the bottom, still we cope. My wife sleeps on the inside since I have back and knee problems and I like it when she climbs over me. That is an unadvertised asset. Smaller trailers where you have to make up the bed every night because it also serves as the dining room table are just too much trouble.

The best quality RV if you are interested in high quality is the Newell, but they only make motorhomes and cost a million or two. The company does fix up older ones and some are for sale by the company for a quarter million or more. Probably not what you are interested in. Arctic Fox and Desert Fox are recognized as high quality. Big Foot, I believe, went out of business and has been bought and is back in production, but I don't know if the quality is the same as it once was.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Gene, perhaps the best way to figure out what will work for you is to visit various models. For example, we were shocked to find that a new 30' (31') Classic has very little walk-around space around the bed even with the bed raised. Since you have a fairly new coach, you might want to go visit a large AS dealer and walk through all of the various coaches available there. You have a much better idea of what you need/want now than you did when you bought your present coach. Use that to prepare a must-have/must-not-have list for your next coach. Look at both new and used coaches on the lot. Then take that same list to dealers for other brands and look at what they have to offer. Compare the quality of construction and finish to the Airstream. Look at drawer construction, fit and finish, etc. You may decide that some other brand offers more bang for the buck, or you may convince your wife that the Airstream really is the way to go.

The reason I suggest that you tour the Airstreams first is that you want her to see how much better they are than the others. If she sees an Open Range, for example, that she likes she may be put off by the nearly double price on the Airstream. On the other hand, if she sees the quality of the Airstream and then sees that the others really aren't as well built she may come around to your way of thinking.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote