Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Gene T ,

If your issue is with the bed and you want a larger bed but not a larger trailer.

Do you also want a high quality aerodynamic light weight easy to tow trailer ?

Do you spend most of your time outside of the trailer ?

Take a look at the 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe. It has a KING size bed , a larger kitchen layout then the other models .

A 4.5 cu.ft. Refer with a freezer ,
a cabinet for a microwave (don't order a builtin microwave, you loose the cabinet door that can double as a work surface) .

They have spacious a wet bath , Oh you say how do I deal with that ? A small squeegee after your shower before you towel yourself off. Allows you to dip dry a bit as you squeegee the shower and saves your towel so it will dry quicker.

The bed is full width of the trailer wall to wall 65" by 90" long rear to front in the sleep mode.

BTW the other models (Sprit and Freedom) have you sleep across the trailer so the bed is 65" long by 54" wide. Also this area would be the Day bed in the Liberty.

Now for dinning we made a change from the factory forward table to a 24" round table top that we kept under the bed along with the post.

We added a 5" foam mattress we had from our Freedom Deluxe over the factory cushions and we'ed flip the forward factory cushions up or down for dinning or sleeping that would act as the foot area of the bed .

We also have a pair of TravSaks for bedding . They have velcroed sheets and a summer and winter side.

The '99 Freedom is on the left The 2004 Liberty on the right in the first picture.

The '69 25' Tradewind , 2004 17' Liberty , 2001 13' Patriot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4276.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	236653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3579_2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	236654  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
If we didn't need so many beds for the 4 of us, and if we weren't planning on full-timing, we would totally order a Safari Alto!

The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
If we didn't need so many beds for the 4 of us, and if we weren't planning on full-timing, we would totally order a Safari Alto!

The Alto gets you a king-size bed area and is bright and airy, the 1743 gives a fixed roof you a proper bathroom(bizarre toilet in photo model sits in the middle of the living room) and the weight is 700lbs less than the AS. It's 75% price of a Bambi also.

Downsides:
Sloping Front Dinette Area, Strange window locations, not fixed bed, Rides slightly higher than the AS, windowless bathroom, backordered, smaller company from Quebec. It's strong as heck, but I'm not sure how you "fix" an laminar epoxy? integrated aluminum plastic aluminum sandwich curve surface.

There's also Camperlite, all welded aluminum, or Scamps which ar cheap and seem to be able to handle heavy abuse, but frankly look like a 70s sailboat galley to me on the inside.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #24
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
There's also Camperlite, all welded aluminum, or Scamps which ar cheap and seem to be able to handle heavy abuse, but frankly look like a 70s sailboat galley to me on the inside.
Do you mean Camplite?
Loved ours (used on the front of the brochure)! Didn't mind the spartan look and would have totally bought another, larger unit, until we stepped into an Airstream!
The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
several interesting suggestions. i would suggest you create your 'must have' list before you start considering options. our list was simple and straight forward: can't be a cave feeling when entering or using; comfortable dedicated bed; comfortable place to sit inside without having to remake a bed or change stuff; anything included had to be totally functional, no wet bathroom; stove top with an oven, more important to us than a microwave; lots of interior light via big windows.

i think that about sums it up for us and very few coaches we looked at could meet all of these simple 'wants'. AS met them all but they were not the only one. as i mentioned Arctic Fox and its less expensive cousin, Nash, also met our needs.

we have a 25' FB and as mentioned, the space along the N edge is small but big enough for my wife to use getting into and out of bed. to have a full walk around queen, you would have to go to the 27', which we didn't want to do. for us this is not a problem but check it our for yourself if you think this is going to be an issue.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lots of options out there. Airstreams may be iconic, Americana and all that other buzz word stuff. But they have their issues, so does every other brand out there. Pick what works for you. I have owned several different brands of trailers over the years with Airstream being one of them. Yes the Airstream has some very nice features and the shells and wall frames can be durable. I have to laugh when people tell me the reason they are so expensive is because they don't leak.

My recommendation to any RV shopper is to make a list of what is important; shop floor plan first, dealer you can work with second, brand should be third.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Thanks to all who responded. If I were clever, I would take "my" favorite pros from all the fore mentioned next best trailers and create my own best. Nice variety of what is important to some and not others. We certainly have those same issues. There are some really attractive trailers out there and there is always something about them that kills the deal. I've also attempted to sell the idea of owning two AS's. One longer AS for the, been there before trips that aren't far away, and the Bambi for the several thousand mile trips. I still think that is a great idea. I was provided with a good list and internet checked them all. Thank you. I would not have found all of them without weeding my way thru hundreds of others. I got the info I wanted and a little more that I have to accept because I ask.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We considered switching to Bigfoort 25B25RQ (similar floor plan to the AS 25RB) but the bath and living area was smaller than our AS 25fb so we decided to stick with what we have. I did like the fact the Bigfoot was fiberglass and I wouldn't have to worry as much about hail. The Oliver Elite II travel trailer is nice but we its too much like or first trailer, 17 Casita Spirit Deluxe just longer. We don't like the floorplans of the Escape Trailer from Canada and they all have we baths. Looking at conventional trailers we haven't found one we like. We'll probably stick with our Airstream for the long run.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Next best trailer.

Kevin

I agree with you. Like I said before, there always seems to be a deal breaker with all of them. We're sticking with AS. Doesn't hurt to lift your head up once in a while and look around.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
If I bought other than airstream, I would either import and to retrofit a Conqueror Commander UEV 490, or buy local an Arctic fox. The UEV-490 opens up extreme BLM off-road options such as the White Rim Trail in Moab; the Arctic Fox to enable northern states and territory winter-overs; neither of which my Airstream could handle.

That or I'd buy a Hylas 46 and skip the roads altogether.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
Do you mean Camplite?
Loved ours (used on the front of the brochure)! Didn't mind the spartan look and would have totally bought another, larger unit, until we stepped into an Airstream!
Yes, now owned by Thor I think. BTW Altos just went on sale 20% off. Well actually the Canadian dollar crashed, but just as good right ?
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Campground Trailer Survey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T View Post
We've had some less than pleasant issues with our 19' Bambi. Many I believe would exsist no matter what brand of trailer we had. I have been working on my wife to move to a 23 FB, thereby moving the bed away from all but one wall and for some other roomy issues. My question is what is the next best trailer other that AS. I don't plan on owing anything other than an AS but I have to impress my wife how far from the competition the AS models really are.
Gene,
We had a 2006 23 footer, rear bed, and sold it in 2014, buying a 25 footer.

Why not another 23 footer?
- 14 inch tires, which are all Load Range C (all others are 15", D Loads)
- Small refrigerator
- Bed is a bit tight for space and difficult to... move around

Other than those the 23 foot is easy to pull. Six inches narrower than a 25 footer. Has two axles with four tires, although getting rid of the Goodyear Marathons for a better quality 14 inch tire is a MUST DO. An excellent size to tow, back up and has plenty of interior storage space. IF the new 23 foot Airstreams had 15 inch wheels, I might have taken another look at one...

The 2014 25 footer.

- More interior space, wider by six inches than the 23 footer.
- 15 inch wheels, Load Range D tires
- Larger refrigerator
- Larger Fresh, Grey and Black water capacity
- More storage, but most is located under the bed
- Propane access for exterior grill, power hookups in two locations
- More windows, but can be a blessing or curse if you do not need them
- Space around the RearBed model is HUGE compared to our old AS!

Negatives on the 25 footer

- Takes 10% to 20% more fuel to tow than the 23 footer
- Slightly wider and length does limit MY Boondocking just a little...

You can buy a USED Airstream. Many are well taken care of and used for less than 30 days a year. After three or four years... barely broken in by many individuals that decide a hotel room is preferred.

BEST OPTION: Make a list of potential SOB's you liked. Camp for a week at a campground. Watch for those models to pull into the RV Park. You will get the scoop about the trailer AND price paid.

The 19 foot will sell easier than a longer Airstream due to price. The 23 foot and 25 foot are usually the 2nd Airstream purchase from those with the 16 to 19 foot lengths. The 25 foot is as large as we would ever want. The others felt like a bowling alley to us, after eight years in a 23 foot (even shorter if you measure the interior length).

I did like the quality of the Arctic Fox 25 foot in 2006. About half the price of an Airstream of that length. The others seemed to be held together with cardboard with wall paper for strength (just my opinion, but I do look closely). The front section needs to be resealed to keep water out after a few years is a problem my friend had with his older model. Not cheap to have done.

The resale value of an Airstream EXCEEDS any of the others. If your 19 footer is paid for, you could SWAP and get a sweet deal with an individual. Unless you are not much of a haggler an Airstream can be sold at a reasonable price in the Spring and buy yours in the Fall when priced go back down. (Trailers have a seasonal demand. High in Spring. Lower in Winter.)

To add diversity. Depending on what kind of travel and interior you find comfortable... there are lots of ingenious trailers on the road. Had these been available when money was tight, these smaller well designed travel trailers can be found in campgrounds. We stayed several weeks at the Lake Meade campground near Boulder City, NV and even the smallest had great innovations, worthy of considerations... with owners six feet tall or taller fitting comfortably.

When I curse my Airstream when something needs fixing... I do it with a smile. I loved our 23 footer overall. The foam bed in the new 25 footer makes sleeping a real... snore.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The Bowlus Road Chief is an option. Pretty and $$$$.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
While the Arctic Fox is more of a 4 season trailer it is big and boxy and they construct the roof with wood trusses vs aluminum maybe for better insulation purposes. The smallest sizes 27 and below have the bedrooms up front and the baths in the rear. We prefer the living area separate from the bedroom area and don't want to have to tow a 30' or greater to get that style of floorplan.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
I am watching Flippin' RV's on TV. They rolled out a polished 30' Airstream that looked like a mirror.

When I see such technical beauty, I can only think AIRSTREAM !

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Show her an Avion..... then you'll both want one.

If you are patient, you'll find one in good shape at a decent price.
Although I have no experience on this topic, here is an earlier Air Forums discussion comparing Avions (very favorably) to Airstreams. It appears that the two brands are very much peers.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...vion-7698.html
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote