Old 04-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The RV industry in general seems to suffer from a lack of caring about getting things right. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is the cheapest trailer made or the most expensive motor home, fit and finish are iffy.

To answer the question about other trailers to look at, the short answer is there aren't any. From what I can tell, Airstreams are the most expensive travel trailers made (not counting custom-made coaches). Part of that high cost is the way the coaches are made - lots of hand-made parts, the riveted construction, etc. The appliances are the same ones that go in other brands. If one is looking at high quality coaches, though, with higher-end amenities, there are several to look at. Several brands have already been mentioned, and I'd suggest the Open Range coaches. They have several lines, so look mainly at the top two or three.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Noting that one of your issues with the 19' Airstream was space around the bed, I would caution you considering a 23 FB or 25 queen bed model. What appears to be space around the back side of the bed is not space enough to walk around, it only moves it away from the wall a few inches. You would need a 27' or larger for a walk-around queen bed. The 25's however offer twin bed option.

cheryl

Old 04-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Noting that one of your issues with the 19' Airstream was space around the bed, I would caution you considering a 23 FB or 25 queen bed model. What appears to be space around the back side of the bed is not space enough to walk around, it only moves it away from the wall a few inches. You would need a 27' or larger for a walk-around queen bed. The 25's however offer twin bed option.

cheryl
The above is all true. We went from a 19 Bambi to a 25 FB with a queen bed and while there isn't true walking space. Your face, shoulders, hips or knees are not jammed up against a wall. The 25 took us away from the sleeping in a box feeling. We could also sit on the throne and close the door. We only kept the 19 footer a month.

Huge difference in comfort.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think "Goin camping" and I would agree the best next trailer from a 19' Airstream (a 20' in our case) is a 25' Airstream. The increased functional and sensual space is remarkable. You would be impressed.

cheryl
Old 04-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Some of their models have very large widows. Cris
Widows? Not only "widows", but very large ones? I love typos, some are really funny.

But, there are many trailers that get better ratings and Airstreams ratings are pulled up by the design and towability. True that lots of things are common to all RV's—the appliances and many other parts, all of which can go bad and are expensive to replace.

There are a number of cousins, all of them out of business. But restored ones can be had. Avion was mentioned above, but there is Silverstreak and others. Argosy was made by Airstream some time ago as a cheaper version of the Airstream. They too have been restored by owners and some may be for sale. Check the Forum Classifieds and the internet.

It seems like your major issue is the bed. You may notice on the Classifieds that a lot of people are entranced by the cute factor of Bambis, but they find them too small and then want to trade up. The 23' is substantially roomier and the 25' more so. Though a 27' or 28' would be nice, we are happy with our 25' and have travelled as long as 8 weeks in it without feeling cramped. Although the queen in the 25' has only a small space on one side of the bed, you, if you are in the inside, have to crawl over your partner or get out at the bottom, still we cope. My wife sleeps on the inside since I have back and knee problems and I like it when she climbs over me. That is an unadvertised asset. Smaller trailers where you have to make up the bed every night because it also serves as the dining room table are just too much trouble.

The best quality RV if you are interested in high quality is the Newell, but they only make motorhomes and cost a million or two. The company does fix up older ones and some are for sale by the company for a quarter million or more. Probably not what you are interested in. Arctic Fox and Desert Fox are recognized as high quality. Big Foot, I believe, went out of business and has been bought and is back in production, but I don't know if the quality is the same as it once was.

Gene
Old 04-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Gene, perhaps the best way to figure out what will work for you is to visit various models. For example, we were shocked to find that a new 30' (31') Classic has very little walk-around space around the bed even with the bed raised. Since you have a fairly new coach, you might want to go visit a large AS dealer and walk through all of the various coaches available there. You have a much better idea of what you need/want now than you did when you bought your present coach. Use that to prepare a must-have/must-not-have list for your next coach. Look at both new and used coaches on the lot. Then take that same list to dealers for other brands and look at what they have to offer. Compare the quality of construction and finish to the Airstream. Look at drawer construction, fit and finish, etc. You may decide that some other brand offers more bang for the buck, or you may convince your wife that the Airstream really is the way to go.

The reason I suggest that you tour the Airstreams first is that you want her to see how much better they are than the others. If she sees an Open Range, for example, that she likes she may be put off by the nearly double price on the Airstream. On the other hand, if she sees the quality of the Airstream and then sees that the others really aren't as well built she may come around to your way of thinking.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Gene T ,

If your issue is with the bed and you want a larger bed but not a larger trailer.

Do you also want a high quality aerodynamic light weight easy to tow trailer ?

Do you spend most of your time outside of the trailer ?

Take a look at the 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe. It has a KING size bed , a larger kitchen layout then the other models .

A 4.5 cu.ft. Refer with a freezer ,
a cabinet for a microwave (don't order a builtin microwave, you loose the cabinet door that can double as a work surface) .

They have spacious a wet bath , Oh you say how do I deal with that ? A small squeegee after your shower before you towel yourself off. Allows you to dip dry a bit as you squeegee the shower and saves your towel so it will dry quicker.

The bed is full width of the trailer wall to wall 65" by 90" long rear to front in the sleep mode.

BTW the other models (Sprit and Freedom) have you sleep across the trailer so the bed is 65" long by 54" wide. Also this area would be the Day bed in the Liberty.

Now for dinning we made a change from the factory forward table to a 24" round table top that we kept under the bed along with the post.

We added a 5" foam mattress we had from our Freedom Deluxe over the factory cushions and we'ed flip the forward factory cushions up or down for dinning or sleeping that would act as the foot area of the bed .

We also have a pair of TravSaks for bedding . They have velcroed sheets and a summer and winter side.

The '99 Freedom is on the left The 2004 Liberty on the right in the first picture.

The '69 25' Tradewind , 2004 17' Liberty , 2001 13' Patriot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4276.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	236653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3579_2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	236654  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #22
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
If we didn't need so many beds for the 4 of us, and if we weren't planning on full-timing, we would totally order a Safari Alto!

The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
If we didn't need so many beds for the 4 of us, and if we weren't planning on full-timing, we would totally order a Safari Alto!

The Alto gets you a king-size bed area and is bright and airy, the 1743 gives a fixed roof you a proper bathroom(bizarre toilet in photo model sits in the middle of the living room) and the weight is 700lbs less than the AS. It's 75% price of a Bambi also.

Downsides:
Sloping Front Dinette Area, Strange window locations, not fixed bed, Rides slightly higher than the AS, windowless bathroom, backordered, smaller company from Quebec. It's strong as heck, but I'm not sure how you "fix" an laminar epoxy? integrated aluminum plastic aluminum sandwich curve surface.

There's also Camperlite, all welded aluminum, or Scamps which ar cheap and seem to be able to handle heavy abuse, but frankly look like a 70s sailboat galley to me on the inside.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #24
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
There's also Camperlite, all welded aluminum, or Scamps which ar cheap and seem to be able to handle heavy abuse, but frankly look like a 70s sailboat galley to me on the inside.
Do you mean Camplite?
Loved ours (used on the front of the brochure)! Didn't mind the spartan look and would have totally bought another, larger unit, until we stepped into an Airstream!
The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #25
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
several interesting suggestions. i would suggest you create your 'must have' list before you start considering options. our list was simple and straight forward: can't be a cave feeling when entering or using; comfortable dedicated bed; comfortable place to sit inside without having to remake a bed or change stuff; anything included had to be totally functional, no wet bathroom; stove top with an oven, more important to us than a microwave; lots of interior light via big windows.

i think that about sums it up for us and very few coaches we looked at could meet all of these simple 'wants'. AS met them all but they were not the only one. as i mentioned Arctic Fox and its less expensive cousin, Nash, also met our needs.

we have a 25' FB and as mentioned, the space along the N edge is small but big enough for my wife to use getting into and out of bed. to have a full walk around queen, you would have to go to the 27', which we didn't want to do. for us this is not a problem but check it our for yourself if you think this is going to be an issue.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lots of options out there. Airstreams may be iconic, Americana and all that other buzz word stuff. But they have their issues, so does every other brand out there. Pick what works for you. I have owned several different brands of trailers over the years with Airstream being one of them. Yes the Airstream has some very nice features and the shells and wall frames can be durable. I have to laugh when people tell me the reason they are so expensive is because they don't leak.

My recommendation to any RV shopper is to make a list of what is important; shop floor plan first, dealer you can work with second, brand should be third.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Thanks to all who responded. If I were clever, I would take "my" favorite pros from all the fore mentioned next best trailers and create my own best. Nice variety of what is important to some and not others. We certainly have those same issues. There are some really attractive trailers out there and there is always something about them that kills the deal. I've also attempted to sell the idea of owning two AS's. One longer AS for the, been there before trips that aren't far away, and the Bambi for the several thousand mile trips. I still think that is a great idea. I was provided with a good list and internet checked them all. Thank you. I would not have found all of them without weeding my way thru hundreds of others. I got the info I wanted and a little more that I have to accept because I ask.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
We considered switching to Bigfoort 25B25RQ (similar floor plan to the AS 25RB) but the bath and living area was smaller than our AS 25fb so we decided to stick with what we have. I did like the fact the Bigfoot was fiberglass and I wouldn't have to worry as much about hail. The Oliver Elite II travel trailer is nice but we its too much like or first trailer, 17 Casita Spirit Deluxe just longer. We don't like the floorplans of the Escape Trailer from Canada and they all have we baths. Looking at conventional trailers we haven't found one we like. We'll probably stick with our Airstream for the long run.

Kelvin