Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

1999 30' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Red face Newby

We recently purchased our beauty and wanted to take it on the road before we forget most of what was told to us by the seller. My husband and I have have no prior experience with a travel trailer. (Which makes it very interesting Hehe). We've been playing with it in our front yard for over a week now. I haven't given it any thought until today, when I was about to start stocking our refrigerator, that I realize I don't know how to. It seems a little like I would be able to find info on how to stock a refrigerator to keep things from breaking while on the road, but to my surprise I was unable to find any information here or on Google which leaves me to wonder why I'm the only one that is having issues stocking the refrigerator. any suggestions? Pictures? Experiences? They would like to share. 💭💭
Dezio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I just put heavy stuff on the bottom shelf, light stuff higher. Kept eggs in the carton.

Biggest issue I have is keeping the door shut. I use a bungee cord to solve that. If it's fairly full stuff does not shift-which is what leads to breakage. Avoid glass if you can.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Welcome!

I hope I understand what you mean by "stocking."

Even if you plan to stay off the rough roads, you never know when you will hit a bad patch of highway construction or a speed bump. Things can jump out of the fridge and onto the floor if your fridge door doesn't absolutely stay latched over the bumps. Consequently I would suggest that you:

1. Minimize glass, and transfer contents to plastic containers with good lids. (We prefer a good quality of boxed wine to bottles for this reason.)

2. Don't drive with open containers such as cardboard milk cartons.

3. After hearing of too many stories about raw eggs jumping out of the fridge and onto the floor while in transit, we decided we didn't need to travel with raw eggs. I often hard-boiled a bunch prior to departure. But another solution would be to break a few into an afore mentioned plastic container with a good lid, to use for scrambled eggs or omelets.

If the fridge door swinging open is a problem for you, an easy solution is just to park a clothing (gym) bag in front of it.

4. I don't know how much kitchen counter space you've got but if it isn't much, it is a lot handier to pre- cut up stuff at home than on the dinette table.
5. Consider how close your stove is to any upholstery. We decided not to travel with bacon out of concern for grease splatters. I generally cover the upholstery nearest the stove with a bath towel while cooking.

6. WWIII will break out on the matter of whether or not to drive with your propane on to keep the fridge contents cold while traveling. We seem to be in the minority who don't-- a decision reinforced in August when Bambi 1 was in a serious front-end accident. We keep blue gel freezer pacs in the freezer, and then place them amongst the fridge items during the day. At night when we turn the fridge back on, we re-freeze the pacs. But Nalgene water bottles would probably work just as well. We've never had food spoil or beer get warm with this system.

After a while, you'll find what works for you. Happy camping!

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I stock my refrigerator with what I want. If a problem exists with doors flying open in transit, one can fashion Velcro security straps. Otherwise, fragile Needs some consideration. The idea of secure plastic containers makes sense to me. Plastic beats glass in most cases.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I can't tell you about the newer fridges,but my old one has a fool proof security lock on it. A 1/4" hitch pin goes down through a metal plate and engages a hole in the door. It seems that back in the day the problem was understood and dealt with. I use a plastic egg carton by Coghlan's. Find it in the camping section of any department store. Garage sale tupperware bins take care of the rest.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We don't do anything special when we prepare our fridge for the road except that we don't leave any loose glass containers. In the case of beer bottles, they stay in their six pack and smaller jars (e.g., mustard, preserves, etc..) get placed in the pockets in the door so they don't bounce around. Never had any problems with raw eggs in the carton. We usually keep the fridge fairly full of stuff so things don't really have much of an opportunity to bounce around.

We have a newer AS with a Dometic fridge which has an opening in the middle shelf for large bottles of soda. Since we don't drink soda or really need this feature, which was a PIA because stuff would fall through the opening, we simply covered the hole with a metal rack meant for the bottom of a sink. We picked that up at a ACE hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	227522  
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I really wish mine had the old style pin into a hole on the door. I dad an ice box like that In a pickup camper, and a 2 way electric fridge in a van conversion I built. The AS fridge has a crappy plastic latch that lets go when you look at it. Bungee cord works but looks dumb.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Milk and eggs……..

Two bad things to let get loose in your camper. Take it from me…..milk can get out of the fridge even if the door is closed.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Regarding your first trip, we had what turned out to be a surprisingly good idea. Not all of our ideas work out this well ... HA!

We went to a nearby campground and stayed for three days. Our experience warranted the "experiment." We found several issues, including some electrical problems, that were seemingly catastrophic at the time; but in reality, were easily repaired, tightened, etc. and easily fixed back at the home AS service department. We got through the three days with some solid knowledge, regardless of the few issues. Had we been way out of town, it would have been discouraging. We had a great time and fell in love with our Airstream, all over again.

Yes, we did continue to find some other issues this summer, but most of them were handled by info in the manual or by asking other friendly campers for help. Airstreamers are full of helpful information and glad to share their experiences.

One of the things that might be obvious, but we discovered on the road, was that it is a good idea to lubricate the moving parts and ball of the weight distributing hitch. Wear gloves!

Other version: Stay close to home on your first excursion. Hope this helps some. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Oops! Forgot about the refrigerator. We purchased the adjustable shelf "stopper-bars" that tighten to keep things from rolling out and pushing the door open. Get at any camper supply. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #11

1999 30' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Red face

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses.
Dezio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We put round things in the door and use the adjustable refrigerator bars for each shelf in the main compartment. We live in the south so we turn it on about 3 days before we load anything. The domestic cools differently than the refrigerator at home.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I also use 99 cent store lightweight plastic baskets to keep things in place veggies, fruit and container items like yogurt etc.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Dezio1, Welcome to the Airstream community. It looks like you purchased a very nice Airstream indeed judging from your profile.

Please use these Forums to get your questions answered, and to learn all about Airstream traveling.

We have never had a fridge door come open while towing. Our old fridge had a lock mechanism, our new fridge has a good plastic latch.

Pack for towing pretending your trailer will experience an "earthquake"! There's lots of shake, rattle, and roll going on back there. So don't leave anything on a counter, open containers in the fridge, folding tables down, cabinet doors shut, TV secure, windows locked, vents closed, steps up, etc, etc. And last, but not least, deadbolt the door so it can't wiggle open. Make a checklist so the interior of your trailer is travel ready. And make a checklist for the outside of your trailer is ready.

Again, welcome. You're going to love your Airstream. Ours has been in the family for nearly 30 years.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
On our former AS we did have the reefer door pop open on the road. Actually a couple of times. It had a snap lock but we needed to consciously make sure it snapped securely. Or else. You get the idea. Fortunately it was never catastrophic just minor clean-ups. Our newer AS is a bit better and more secure but we use a bunji cord as insurance and are much better off because of it. We've had things move around inside but never any tippage or breakage. We do try to pack it carefully but so far so good.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote