Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
Montezuma , Georgia
NewbieTraveling Question

When you are traveling and stop at a CG for just 1 night and leave the next morning. How do you set up for the night--stay hitched or un hitch, jacks up or down and what ever else.
Thanks
John
Pharmdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My preferences

On an overnighter I'll hook up electricity and water - usually won't bother with sewer IF my gray and black tanks are empty. I definitely leave the stabilizers up and the canopy rolled for a one nighter. If I can, I leave the tow vehicle hitched. If I need to go shopping for groceries, etc. I'll try to find a WalMart or other mega sized parking lot before I go to the campground - which facilitates leaving the tow vehicle hitched. Unhitching means making sure you have the trailer semi-leveled and the wheels chocked; not difficult but if you're just stopping for a shower and a night's rest why bother?

If I'm stopping for a night and going to visit friends, do some business or see the sights, I do unhitch.

The most important thing is to go through your whole departure checklist every time you leave... it's sooooooo embarassing to leave with your steps down or your jack post down... and you're more likely to make a half-**sed mistake when you've done a halfway job of setting up.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
Has also to do with age and medical condition! If it's a one night stay and you were to need to get to the hospital quick and couldn't rely on a ambulance, unhooking for the wife or even yourself - specially in the rain? I've always considered the what if - and is it worth the couple minitues that unhooking takes with no pressure!

Bill A
William Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
John---If stopping at a commercial campground sometimes you're offered a choice of pull through or backin site. Normally the pull throughs you can remained hitched, most backins require unhitching due to length of the site. That makes cost a concideration as backin sites are usually a slight bit less money.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
To hitch or unhitch....

That is the question....

I concur with others... it may depend on what you plans are. Usually if it is a one night stay, we keep hitched up. But, if the space doesn't allow, or if we are there early and might go somewhere, then we don't. A lot of it is personal preference. Many times when on a trip if we are tired... we just stay hitched and do all the extras in the morning. We try to make a habit of dumping the black water any opportunity we get. Our little Bambi has a small holding tank, and it reduces weight.

The important thing, is to get to be out with the Airstream! And keep her safe!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote