Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Smile newbie question - propane system

Howdy folks.... newbie question about propane system. Bought a very slightly used 2011 19' Flying Cloud a month ago and was out this weekend. All worked well but I do have a question....

My manual says that all AS are equiped with an automatic switchover of propane tank from one to the other when the first runs out of fuel. How can I confirm this as this weekend we ran out of propane on the first tank (had both valves open) and the furnace would quit. I had to go outside and flip the black switch on the regulator to point to the full tank for the furnace to come on. In reading the manual is suggests that I shouldn't have to do this .... am I reading this right and how do I know if I have this feature...thanks for all your help.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome aboard! It's a confusing issue. But once you get the hang of it you will go trouble-free.

(1) Both thanks should be open.

(2) The ring at the bottom of the indicator (blue arrow in orange circle in pic points to it) for the "active" tank will be green as long as there's gas in it.

(3) When the tank the switch (red rectangle in pic) is pointed to runs out of gas, the regulator automatically begins to take gas from the other tank...and the indicator turns red.

(4) However, you have to manually move the switch to point to the new tank ... at that point the indicator will turn green again because it's pointed toward the fresh tank that has gas.

As long as you monitor the color of the indicator you will be fine. When the indicator turns red, it's time to point the switch to the other tank, remove the empty tank to fill, and replace it and open it...then reverse the process with the other tank runs out. This way you should never run out of gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Monitor.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	186569  

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
From my experience you need to open the tank the gauge is set to first (or cycle the switch after the tanks are open) for the switchover to work right consistently.

I have heard of 2 problems when opening the other tank first, sometimes the gauge thinks it already switched so doesn't switch again and in some cases no gas comes out because it unsuccessfully tries to switch back to the tank the gauge is set to.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Yelm , Washington
I forget if I read it somewhere or was told but I thought you center the switchover switch. Not sure if it works or not. It might have you running out of lp on both tanks at the same time though Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Easier to remember

I have a simpler solution, and have NEVER run out of gas: I only open one tank. I use it until it is empty. Then I open the other tank and immediately (or as soon as possible), I refill the one that ran out. That way I always have no less than one full tank.

I keep a little tag clipped to the tank I am using from, for times when the trailer is in storage and one of the tanks is partially used, so I don't forget which tank was "in play."

I just don't trust "automatic" stuff. I did once have to go out in the train and open the new tank in order to finish cooking dinner, so it might not be the smartest plan, but it works for me.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You are Correct

John,

You described the procedure correctly. Basically it is, fill both tanks. Open both valves and note the green indicator. When the propane in the tank that the switch is pointing to runs out the indicator will turn red but the automatic switch over will start drawing on the other tank. The indicator will remain red until you manually switch over the valve and point it to the other tank at which time it should turn to green again.

As far as opening the valves all I have been told is that you need to do it slowly. I am not sure if the order you do this is important or not. I love the automatic switch feature but I do watch the indicator when it turns red. A tank will last me a long time so I have never been all that worried.

I am really opposed to just using one tank at a time. Getting up on a cold night to turn on the second tank sort of defeats the whole idea. I just paid a ton of money for my Airstream and I want to sleep through those cold, dark and wet nights.

If I were you I would probably take the trailer in and have the switch over valve checked at your local propane store. It shouldn't cost much and will give you lots of peace of mind.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar1dan View Post
I forget if I read it somewhere or was told but I thought you center the switchover switch. Not sure if it works or not. It might have you running out of lp on both tanks at the same time though Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Don't do this. Make sure the switch is pointed toward one of the tanks. This is how it was designed to work. I am not sure what would happen if you left it in the middle. I use my switch over valve and have NEVER run out of propane. I have never had to get up at night to go out and turn on a tank either.

Like all things involving trailers, the key is to pay attention to things and monitor your levels. I know when I am about to empty a tank so it is no surprise to see the red indicator. I also have a pretty good feel for how long I can run things on a full tank. It isn't rocket science.....or maybe it is.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Thanks everyone for your advice. Figgered it out...onwards and upwards.

J.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I ain't got a dog in that hunt. I am made fun of because I went over a year with no propane.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I ain't got a dog in that hunt. I am made fun of because I went over a year with no propane.
Wow. So you didn't use your furnace, stove-top or oven? ... And you must have an electric water heater option with a 2013?
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Electric water heater in this trailer and the previous trailer. In the previous trailer we used an electric space heater. This trailer has 2 roof airs that include electric heat pumps. When you pay for a campsite electricity is provided, propane is not. If you use the propane that is an added expense.