Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
update - brakes!

I made it to my destination a couple of days ago in once piece, staying on I-90 and around 60mph. Again, no dents and no deaths (mine or others).

Finally ran across a posted minimum speed once I got into South Dakota. Minimum was 40, max 75. Still went around 60.

Update though - While getting the oil changed on my tv yesterday, I mentioned a wobble that happens when I brake at higher speeds (told a previous dealership about this and they just shrugged it off as "how it is"). They checked out the rotors, and the rotors were indeed warped! So had them resurface (45 minutes/$90) and voila, wobble is gone.

Guess trying to control wobbly brakes at high speeds makes one not want to go very fast, especially when towing a large trailer. This was the "out of control" feeling.

The rotor fix was only yesterday, so I have not towed with it yet. Reeaaallly hoping this fixes everything.

I hadn't mentioned it before, because, as I said, the previous dealership said "Oh that's how all season tires are." Everything else about the Armada was in "perfect" shape, and with the vehicle being new to me, I didn't question it much.

Severely unhappy with the previous dealership, for obvious reasons. The old was was in affluent suburb of Seattle, this new one (that diagnosed the rotors) in South Dakota. I would like to think the techs in SD would have more experience with larger vehicles, tow vehicles, etc...?
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
I have an Armada and 28' also.

I've found the sweet spot to be 63. Any less and RPMs / torque gets too low. Any higher is just burning more gas and taking risk IMO.

If I come on a hill that I can't pull at 63 in 4th I'll downshift to 3rd and drop to 50-55. Maybe I'm old and conservative but why stress your engine at high RPMs to stay at 65??
Oh great, thanks! Good to hear. Are you using Tow Mode? I had considered dropping down to 3rd gear on those inclines, but I thought it was supposed to stay on 4th in Tow.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #83
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
neptune beach , Florida

Three weeks away from picking up a 27FB Tommy Bahama never own a traavel trailer before any advice
rick fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
ST tires ... I assumed, for some reason, they were constructed with stronger, stiffer sidewalls compared to car/truck tires.

Is that not the case?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #85
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
ST tires ... I assumed, for some reason, they were constructed with stronger, stiffer sidewalls compared to car/truck tires.

Is that not the case?
The lighter trailers may have fewer tire problems. But light also tends to mean short. Folks don't understand how trailers track behind TV. Longer = harder to gauge without experience.

You could give me a new set of ST. I'd let them hold the trailer up until time to go somewhere. Then I'd get rid of them.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

Is that not the case?

That is the sales pitch. In reality ST tires are not long life tires. I never even got 3 years.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #87
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Is that not the case?
Hi

ST are stiffer. Other than that, they are not as "strong" as the equivalent LT tires. Both come in grades so you need to get the right grade for your weight. LT's of any grade have higher speed ratings and longer (more miles) warranties. There are a lot of theories as to why. Bottom line, if you bought a truck with a 65 MPH max speed tire and 10 or 20K mile warranty, you would not be happy ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Stay within lower and upper limits. Upper has NOTHING to do with (let's call it) a "default speed". That's for the stupid people.

East-West routes are the vast majority of traffic on this continent. And, as most live east of the Mississippi, expect that traffic will substantially increase once over that line and nearing any metro area.

Most truck traffic is governed at 65-mph. Most cars want to travel the upper limit. A combined rig RV isn't going to handle or brake well much above 55-mph (since too many choose pickups as TV), thus 58-62/mph is a speed, where:

1) With virtually no lane changes, one is remains at a constant speed which is good for FE and reduced driver fatigue;

2) As the average of all traffic isn't that far above the governed truck speed, the "slower" travel speed is actually closer to the overall average than imagined (test by recording engine run time). Travel speed and average speed aren't the same. The latter is lower. It's the difference between them that's minimized by not having to brake or accelerate or pass; and better fuel burn rate.

3) Peripheral vision is excellent at these speeds. Vehicle components last longer. Etc. On a 300-mile day, the time difference is almost nil, and the job was easier.

4) It's far easier to manage separation space from other vehicles.

Great mirrors are essential to managing space. Clip-ons almost worthless. Something like the venerable McKesh line is a good minimum.

Now, confidence is a different matter. IMO, it's based on acquired numbers. From a certified scale. Both tire pressure and WD hitch settings. Things are good via those, or they are not (after testing). See Three Pass Scale Method, and weighing TV when hitched to get Load for TV tires.

TT proper brake adjustment, brake controller setting and testing emergency stopping distance are the others.

One wants predictable vehicle responses. This allays anxiety. Which in turn dials down adrenaline.

The other part to highway distances is trip-planning. Set out the day as a series of legs to accomplish. From departure to first mandated 15" rest break about 100-miles out. Then on to the one hour break plus fuel stop and/or lunch at the four hour mark (drive time, not clock time). The final two hours are to destination. Mentally, stay inside the leg one is traveling.

Distance for Interstate should be 300-miles (or 3 o'clock; the voice of a half-century plus of thousands of RV'ers); under no circumstances exceed 600-miles as fatigue will get you killed (to be short and to the point).

Use 50-mph as the clock time for planning. This accounts for breaks, etc. Experience may tell you it's 45-mph. Or 52-mph. So keep records. Find what works well.

How soon one arrives at the days destination is not a race (the permanent amateurs). There are always problems of road, load, traffic, weather, construction, etc. Understanding the average mph in a given region is the reason for records. Future planning. (Trip planning drills down much more deeply than this sketch).

To sum up, prepare vehicle and driver with objective (numerical) criteria; cover the leg at a speed which keeps other traffic away; trip-plan to avoid last minute decision-making; and keep vigil over mirrors to predict the the immediate future thereby.

It's all about reserves of time, energy, and space.

A FEW co. govern there speed at 65, most trucks do not run speed limiters as they have been proven dangerous in safety checks,and a lot of states truck speeds are 70 and higher, even die hard Il. is 70 for trucks except several congested areas. We are in trucking bus. so have a handle on speeds. I don't agree that pu and trailers harder to stop as has been proven unless 70 or better then toss up. You have 8 or 10 wheels braking for average 14000 or 15000 lbs. that's a lot of braking power
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #89
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Newbie on Highway Interstates - how fast?

I pull my 28' Classic at 60 - 62. That is the sweet spot on my tow vehicle '05 GMC Duramax / Allison. Have pulled it 230K miles safely.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #90
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the wonders of "minimum speed" is that it may *not* be posted on a sign on the road. In my wonderful state, it's buried deep in Title 75 of the law books. Pretty much everyplace I've lived, the minimum speed on an interstate highway has been 40 MPH. I've always *assumed* that was a federal law. Sometimes when you assume ......

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote