Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Newbie needs info on what is required for maiden trip

After purchasing my rig in October, I have finally gotten it so we can actually take it on a trip.

Had to replace tires, and bearings.
Had to convert hydraulic disc brakes to new electric drum brakes
Had to have new 30# propane tanks installed with new valve
Had to have new converter installed
Had to have new water pump installed
Had new shower faucets and hose installed.
Had sub floor installed by door and then new vinyl commercail tile floor installed.

I currently have new 30Amp plug installed
I have a black water tank hose.

I know I will need to buy a new white water hose...can anyone please recommend what we will need for a the first trip?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pusher
I know I will need to buy a new white water hose...can anyone please recommend what we will need for a the first trip?
Food, tools, sense of humor and cash.

also....

Slinky
Disposable gloves (for slinky encounter)
First aid kit
Sunscreen

Have fun.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Basic essentials:

Leveling blocks. Ant spray. Outdoor grill. Lafuma recliner. Wheel chocks. Disolving toilet paper (Charmin works). Bleach for dump station disinfecting. Nitril disposible gloves for dump station. Twenty amp adaptor. Sewer doughnut. Tire pressure guage. Grill. Flamingo.

Happy camping!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I figure as long as it's safely rolling along behind us, it's a good trip! Try to relax, and keep a smile on your face (no matter what happens). Speaking of which don't forget a tight plug for the shower drain Enjoy!

Mark, what do you use the bleach for? Suddenly I have this image of you leaving behind a squeeky clean dump station!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
What to take

A flag, I bring three for my flag pole holder that I made, so that I can fly Old Glory, the Marine Corps Flag, and my great state of NY flag. Fold up outdoor chairs are a must, Deep Woods Off, a coffee pot if you drink coffee, a can opener (we forgot ours last time), a small set of tools, screw drivers, LP gas wrench, lug wrench, and DUCT TAPE (can never go wrong with it). Baby wipes are always good too, for after the dump station or sewer works. If I think of others, I'll post them. Oh yeah, I've seen people using their charged cordless drills on their stabilizers, makes putting them up and down alot faster, equates to more time to relax after setting up.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
New Trailer Shopping List
Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Adult beverages

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pusher
After purchasing my rig in October, I have finally gotten it so we can actually take it on a trip.

Had to replace tires, and bearings.
Had to convert hydraulic disc brakes to new electric drum brakes
Had to have new 30# propane tanks installed with new valve
Had to have new converter installed
Had to have new water pump installed
Had new shower faucets and hose installed.
Had sub floor installed by door and then new vinyl commercail tile floor installed.

I currently have new 30Amp plug installed
I have a black water tank hose.

Get thee a pressure regulator that attaches between the hose bib (faucet/tap) and the white hose.

My father-in-law is living in our Safari while his house is being finished, and day before yesterday, I noticed that my new white hose is bulging. I taped it before it burst, and I had to tape a new spot today. And this with the 25psi pressure regulator.

Now - I have a shorter hose that came with the Safari, bu it looks to be the same quality as the bulging one. The old 8' hose that I saved from our SOB is obviously a much better hose than the other two, just by looking at it, but it is too short. I want to get a 12' version asap. Don't pinch pennies, buy the sturdiest stuff you can. Especially if it involves plumbing.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Battery?

Didn't see a battery on the "replaced" list.

I know there is a current thread on this, but 36 months is a good run for a battery - less if abused.

The Univolt will put out excess voltage unless a working battery is in the circuit.

Don't forget a way to measure both the 12 volt and 110 volt circuits. Too much or too little of either is not a good thing.

Make the first stop close to home (or in the driveway), that way a worst case situation ends up having to crawl into your own bed a bit later than usual.

Have fun!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I figure as long as it's safely rolling along behind us, it's a good trip! Try to relax, and keep a smile on your face (no matter what happens). Speaking of which don't forget a tight plug for the shower drain Enjoy!

Mark, what do you use the bleach for? Suddenly I have this image of you leaving behind a squeeky clean dump station!
Doesn't everyone?

Actually I use it for incoming and outgoing.

Occasionally one of the ends of my fresh water fill hose will contact the ground. I rinse, pour a bit of bleach on and around the connector, and rinse again.

At the dump station, I pour maybe four or five ounces on the slinky connector after draining the tanks, and let it drain down the hose. Then I splash an ounce or two on the end that went into the ground. And if I drip any waste water on the ground at hookup, I hit it with a bit of bleach as well.

I then rinse everything with water to keep the bleach from eating the plastic.

Paranoid? Perhaps.

Mark
Old 06-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
...and DUCT TAPE (can never go wrong with it). Rob
No, no, a thousand times no! What you want, especially for an Airstream, is paper backed self-adhesive aluminum tape. It is far, far superior to duct tape. Available at most home centers.

Mark