Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
My heart goes out to you. Have you considered camping in Connecticut and taking the ferry with only your tow-vehicle to visit family or do to whatever it is you need to do there? I would not voluntarily drive through NYC and Nassau County for a "pleasure trip" to Long Island.
It's not a tragedy; no need for your heart to go out to them. Maybe I'm sensitive because this is my home and I love New York, but really - it's traffic. Nobody dies at 10 miles per hour on the Cross Bronx, unless their time is up and they suffer the big H that could have hit at 65 mph on I-94 in Ann Arbor - or wherever they happened to be.

And let's face it: the traffic on I-95 and the Beltway rivals anything New York can muster up. Would you suggest people should avoid our nation's capital because of traffic on the roads around it?

It's unfortunate you look at it that way. There's a lot out there you've likely missed by being so averse to what you don't know.

To the OP: don't let the naysayers and fear keep you from traveling wherever your destinations may be. Worst case you'll deal with an hour or so of heavy, slow traffic each way. It's the rest of your great trip that will make your memories, not that hour or so. And if you choose to do the ferry one way, you'll have even more great memories. Enjoy and embrace the adventure.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Take the Tappan Zee Bridge north of NYC and then one of the ferries, per Post # 7.

What NYC traffic?

PS -- not really sure teamherrick is monitoring this thread any more . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Airstream People -

I want to thank all you folks who responded to our traffic/travel concerns in our "New York/Long Island Traffic Fears!" posting via Air Forums. While still apprehensive, your inputs will help us make a more informed decision. Thank you all. A special thanks to AirstreamJim for his comprehensive information.

On a related note I want to share this recent news with you all. We took delivery of our 2016 Airstream this last Thursday. We are excited to get on the road. Hope we ride into (not literally) some of you on our travels.

Teamherrick - Bill & Kathy
Air Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
To be clear, I lived in the NYC area for thirty years so I do know something about the traffic and road conditions. My concern with towing an Airstream through the city and in Nassau County has nothing to do with sitting in traffic for a couple of extra hours, although that in an of itself can be stressful. Been there, done that.

My concern has to do with the narrow traffic lanes on many bridges and older sections of highway (often made narrower by construction) which provides plenty of opportunities to get sideswiped and the apparent random and incredibly rapid lane changes of local drivers which provides plenty of opportunities for hitting someone in the front or getting hit in the rear. Proof of these hazards are quite apparent when you look at the incredible amount of front/rear/side damage on cars that drive NYC area roads on a regular basis. There is simply no other part of the country where cars run around with so much un-repaired damage.

What long time NY-area residents who are so glib about driving through this on a day to day basis often do not realize is that they have gotten used to this which takes off some of the edge. An out of town driver from an area where the lanes are incredibly wide (by NYC standards) towing a forty or fifty foot long rig in an unfamiliar area is a totally different situation.

So my advice to you New York natives, it to take that into consideration before you start encouraging "virgins" to venture into that environment.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The L. I. E. will accommodate large vehicles, right?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The L. I. E. will accommodate large vehicles, right?
Yes indeed.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The first time I took my Airstream to Maine I missed the turnoff to go around NYC and went through downtown in the middle of the day.

It was horrifying to an out of towner and I started out nearly in tears....

And then a miracle must have happened OR ELSE the reputation of New Yorkers for being jerks must be completely wrong. I swear everyone around me seemed to see my Virginia Plates and just understand I was doing the best I could. A CABBY honked and signaled for me to go ahead of him and make a lane change I needed to do. Very very few of the people who might have given me the one fingered "hello" did so, instead they waved and smiled (perhaps in pity) and made an inch and a half of extra room for me.

Of course I think they really might have enjoyed looking at an Airstream so far from it's natural habitat - but I did get through without any damage - and without having to slam on my brakes more than two or three times.

Traffic is HEAVY, the roads are washboarded, the drivers have fast reflexes and assertive habits... but that day at least the New Yorkers impressed me with their attitudes.

And as God is my witness I'll go 100 miles out of my way to never do that again!

Paula
Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. . . but that day at least the New Yorkers impressed me with their attitudes.
. . .
Good story -- had a great laugh thinking of the moment when you realized you could not turn around or avoid going through the city!

And a second good laugh at what the pedestrians and other motorists must have been thinking:

"Am I dreaming?"

Thanks . . .

Peter

Old 05-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #29
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
It was the beauty of your Airstream that got you thru the city! I take mine to Staten Island and this Year, Floyd Bennett Field, when btw there is camping, which I never knew. i am vending at an Irish Festival in Far Rockaway.

New York gets a bad rap sometimes, it is NJ you have to watch out for! Just kidding, it is all good. I live in NJ. Take your time, stay right, if you miss a turn, don't panic, just keep going until you are safe t right yourself out. Keep off Parkways and most of all enjoy your trip!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
MY part of NY doesn't get the notorious traffic and I avoid "the city" at all possible cost. But if you want to see traffic, head west. Seattle/Tacoma is a nightmare.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
When I lived in Connecticut, my brother and I did a trip to see some of the Civil war battlefields and returned well after our original plan. We were caught in traffic on the way home and should have gone over the Tappan Zee. Instead, we tried to tackle the George Washington Bridge.

As traffic merged from about 8 lanes to 4, everyone was very aggressive, trying to get the best merge possible. Luckily, I noticed that a car entering from the right pulled between the TV and the trailer. If I had pulled forward at all, it would have destroyed the front corner of our '65 trailer (at the time).

My brother got out and explained to the cars behind the offending driver what happened. They had a good laugh and all let the driver turn hard right into another lane to avoid hitting our front panel.

That said, I couldn't agree more with the advice to travel off hours. We do the same heading through D.C. -- off hours or down 81.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
. . .
They had a good laugh and all let the driver turn hard right into another lane to avoid hitting our front panel.
. . .
Thanks for a great story and the peaceful resolution of an aggressive driver situation!

Cheers,

Peter

Old 05-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Just returned from our maiden voyage-shakedown run. Twenty miles from home at Myakka River State Park. Great trip and Park. Good learning experience especially Zip Dee awning (premature rollup and at low end of hitching learning curve). Got better with practice - more repetitions. Home safe after three days. Major trip in early June. Meeting good friends in Maine. Long Island still a mental issue. TBD.

Thanks to all for input, knowledge and support.

Teamherrick (Bill & Kathy Herrick)
Air Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamherrick View Post
Just returned from our maiden voyage-shakedown run. Twenty miles from home at Myakka River State Park. Great trip and Park. Good learning experience especially Zip Dee awning (premature rollup and at low end of hitching learning curve). Got better with practice - more repetitions. Home safe after three days. Major trip in early June. Meeting good friends in Maine. Long Island still a mental issue. TBD.

Great news! Rest assured, by the time you get this far north you will have lots of experience under your belts.

Per my earlier Post #7, by looping around NYC and taking the Bridgeport-to-Port Jefferson ferry, you will eliminate the city as an issue. Check the maps, and to a certain extent trust me -- I have done it a number of times.

Or, to first eliminate the "ferry fear" from the equation, you could come up the Eastern Shore on the DelMarVa Peninsula, via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, and take the ferry from Lewes MD to Cape May NJ, but you would still have to get west to loop around NYC.

Alternatively, I-81 northbound further inland may be the better bet coming from Florida IMO, if you want to make good time. I-81 also gets you west of the whole Washington DC to NYC traffic nightmare that I-95 can be, at times.

When you leave Long Island, you can take the Orient Point to New London CT ferry from the eastern end of LI, which would put you about 8 hours south of Portland ME at a leisurely pace. Ditto to the other comment about the ferry -- easy easy easy -- I took this ferry in the 90's with our 25' to Maine and Price Edward island, twice.

Keep in mind that a ferry boat is just a tunnel that you drive into, which then floats over to the next road. Pretty simple really!

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

Remember how apprehensive you were about before the trailer trip you just completed?

Done.

Same for New York City, a non-issue unless you make the fear of it your mantra.

Breathe breathe breathe and take the ferries!

Cheers and Happy Trails,

Peter

Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #35
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
We go up to New England almost every summer, usually via 81 (avoid DC). We'll head East and go over either Tappan Zee or up the Thruway and cross at Newburgh. I grew up in New York State, and have driven in the city many times. I absolutely refuse to get on I-95 out of N. Va. heading south. I honestly believe it is the worst traffic in the USA. Eclipses even 405 in LA and the 101. Seriously. Pulling an Airstream on the Kennedy Expwy going N from Chicago during rush hour is also not recommended. Lots of good advice in this thread. The main thing is to relax, breathe deeply, and realize that there are MUCH bigger, MUCH heavier, MUCH longer rigs on the road with you. If they can do it, so can you.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

How are you guys doing with the new trailer? Are you going to give Long Island a shot?

Let us know if we can be any help.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 06-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
There are no good (traffic-free) ways to get on/off Long Island.

That said, come up the NJ Turnpike/I-95 to the George Washington Bridge (upper level only; you can't take propane on the lower level), continue on I-95 North (Cross Bronx Expressway) to the I-295 split (stay to your right). Take I-295 to the Throgs Neck Bridge. Crossing the bridge, stay in the center lane and continue on I-295, the Clearview Expressway. Go about 3 miles to the interchange with I-495, the Long Island Expressway Eastbound. The LIE will take you to Suffolk County.

The Cross Bronx is a traffic nightmare at just about any time of any day of the week. As mentioned Sunday morning is good, and after 9 PM isn't bad if you don't mind night driving. Avoid typical rush hour times, and even any weekday afternoon can be very congested. In any case, just take it slow (you won't have much choice there...NYC traffic doesn't move fast; you'll feel lucky you're moving at all), stay in the right lane, and drive carefully. Keep in mind that the speed limit in New York City is 50 mph. If the road is wide open other cars will go much faster, but you don't have to. Stay in the right lane and observe the speed limit. You'll be happier.

Some advice: Don't take the Whitestone Bridge; the "interchange" with the eastbound L.I.E. follows local streets and is more trouble than it's worth.

A couple of key things to remember: the route I just outlined is likely the only legal or sane route you can take. Do not go across the Goethals Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing into Staten Island; once you get off the Verrazano Bridge your only legal route is the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, and that's an absolute NIGHTMARE. STAY AWAY.

You can't bring propane into the Holland or Lincoln Tunnels, and even if you could, they deposit you into Manhattan local streets.

Remember, in NY State, a parkway is a road on which you cannot bring your trailer. Stay off the parkways. Not only might you get a ticket, but you might also find your A/C unit ripped off the roof.

Don't let your fears of NYC traffic keep you from doing what you want to do. You'll be fine, just drive carefully.

I'm a native, so this route is familiar, but I recently towed my Airstream home for the first time, and that's how I went. It was straightforward and actually, even with all the traffic, I didn't find it terribly stressful at all. The truth is, if there's that much traffic you're moving slowly, and you can't get in too much trouble at that speed as long as you're paying attention.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jim

Just used this route in to Long Island. And went back out across the Verrazano and Goethals. Round trip from Philadelphia. A little heavy that day at 79,600. Outbound a more sensible 30,600. This tractor trailer combo is a bit shorter than my pickup & 35' Silver Streak.

I hit the GW at about 0930. After the rush.

Exit was about 1300. Slowed by a wreck, but I got to study the Brooklyn Bridge. Wouldn't go out this way again, but it was fun a single time.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The Cross Bronx is often reduced to one lane after midnight for maintenance. This causes huge backups. Like some one said, try to plan to use the CBX early in the morning.
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Curious whether you came north and braved the Long Island leg?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:

Old 09-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I learned to drive in NYC and while I got tired of the intensity, last time I was there, driving was fun. But after a week of fun, I was ready to go. That was without a trailer.

New Yorkers are always rushed, excited by the intensity of NYC, accomplishing much every day, and don't take any crap. That doesn't make us mean and if we stop for a second, we do notice people in need.

Driving in NYC intimidates many, many people. But the worst drivers I have seen are in south Fla. and on I-4 between Orlando and Tampa. I-95 from Va. north is as bad or worse as the Long Island Expressway so far as slow traffic. People read whole newspapers while "driving" very slowly to work and back on the LIE (maybe not newspapers any more, probably texting).

I am glad to live where driving is not a competitive sport and would rather not pull my trailer through NYC. But there are plenty of places where traffic is a nightmare, roads are narrow and full of potholes and the drivers seem to all be on meth.

Best times to go through are around 3 or 4 am, though I don't know about maintenance on the Cross Bronx. And you might reduce the deductible on your collision coverage for a few weeks.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote