Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
Lots of good posts.
We live on LI and our favorite time to leave is before 6 AM. Call 511 for traffic and listen to 8 80 and 10 10 AM
Returning to LI.
6 AM to 8 PM should be avoided. Accidents or to ever present construction projects are problematic

You can also install WAZE on you cell to get immediate info.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #16

2016 26' Flying Cloud
VENICE , Florida
Smile Thanks for Your help!!

Airstream People -

I want to thank all you folks who responded to our traffic/travel concerns in our "New York/Long Island Traffic Fears!" posting via Air Forums. While still apprehensive, your inputs will help us make a more informed decision. Thank you all. A special thanks to AirstreamJim for his comprehensive information.

On a related note I want to share this recent news with you all. We took delivery of our 2016 Airstream this last Thursday. We are excited to get on the road. Hope we ride into (not literally) some of you on our travels.

Teamherrick - Bill & Kathy

Old 04-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Congratulations Bill and Kathy! And once again welcome to the forum. Please be assured that the ferry route around NYC [post #7] will be quite easy for you after you have some miles on the new trailer. I was a newcomer in the 90's with a 25' AS, and found the ferry boat ride one of the highlights of each trip.

When you start planning out your route north feel free to start a new thread, or continue this one, for alternate routes, some of which might include other ferries [Cape Hatteras NC and Cape Lewes MD], or The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel up the Eastern Shore.

Welcome to seeing this incredible country and world in an exciting new way -- one you can do at your own pace and leisure.

Happy Trails,

Peter
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamherrick View Post
We are planning a trip from Florida North including Long Island. Long Island/NYC area may not be a reasonable goal due to anticipated traffic. Are there any suggestions to reach Suffolk County Long Island with minimal traffic stress? This will be our first major trip with new AS and we are somewhat apprehensive. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
How are you enjoying the new Airstream?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
must still e stuck in traffic!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
My heart goes out to you. Have you considered camping in Connecticut and taking the ferry with only your tow-vehicle to visit family or do to whatever it is you need to do there? I would not voluntarily drive through NYC and Nassau County for a "pleasure trip" to Long Island.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Baldwin Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
My heart goes out to you. Have you considered camping in Connecticut and taking the ferry with only your tow-vehicle to visit family or do to whatever it is you need to do there? I would not voluntarily drive through NYC and Nassau County for a "pleasure trip" to Long Island.
It's not a tragedy; no need for your heart to go out to them. Maybe I'm sensitive because this is my home and I love New York, but really - it's traffic. Nobody dies at 10 miles per hour on the Cross Bronx, unless their time is up and they suffer the big H that could have hit at 65 mph on I-94 in Ann Arbor - or wherever they happened to be.

And let's face it: the traffic on I-95 and the Beltway rivals anything New York can muster up. Would you suggest people should avoid our nation's capital because of traffic on the roads around it?

It's unfortunate you look at it that way. There's a lot out there you've likely missed by being so averse to what you don't know.

To the OP: don't let the naysayers and fear keep you from traveling wherever your destinations may be. Worst case you'll deal with an hour or so of heavy, slow traffic each way. It's the rest of your great trip that will make your memories, not that hour or so. And if you choose to do the ferry one way, you'll have even more great memories. Enjoy and embrace the adventure.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Take the Tappan Zee Bridge north of NYC and then one of the ferries, per Post # 7.

What NYC traffic?

PS -- not really sure teamherrick is monitoring this thread any more . . .

Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 AM   #23

2016 26' Flying Cloud
VENICE , Florida
Airstream People -

I want to thank all you folks who responded to our traffic/travel concerns in our "New York/Long Island Traffic Fears!" posting via Air Forums. While still apprehensive, your inputs will help us make a more informed decision. Thank you all. A special thanks to AirstreamJim for his comprehensive information.

On a related note I want to share this recent news with you all. We took delivery of our 2016 Airstream this last Thursday. We are excited to get on the road. Hope we ride into (not literally) some of you on our travels.

Teamherrick - Bill & Kathy
Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
To be clear, I lived in the NYC area for thirty years so I do know something about the traffic and road conditions. My concern with towing an Airstream through the city and in Nassau County has nothing to do with sitting in traffic for a couple of extra hours, although that in an of itself can be stressful. Been there, done that.

My concern has to do with the narrow traffic lanes on many bridges and older sections of highway (often made narrower by construction) which provides plenty of opportunities to get sideswiped and the apparent random and incredibly rapid lane changes of local drivers which provides plenty of opportunities for hitting someone in the front or getting hit in the rear. Proof of these hazards are quite apparent when you look at the incredible amount of front/rear/side damage on cars that drive NYC area roads on a regular basis. There is simply no other part of the country where cars run around with so much un-repaired damage.

What long time NY-area residents who are so glib about driving through this on a day to day basis often do not realize is that they have gotten used to this which takes off some of the edge. An out of town driver from an area where the lanes are incredibly wide (by NYC standards) towing a forty or fifty foot long rig in an unfamiliar area is a totally different situation.

So my advice to you New York natives, it to take that into consideration before you start encouraging "virgins" to venture into that environment.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The L. I. E. will accommodate large vehicles, right?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The L. I. E. will accommodate large vehicles, right?
Yes indeed.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The first time I took my Airstream to Maine I missed the turnoff to go around NYC and went through downtown in the middle of the day.

It was horrifying to an out of towner and I started out nearly in tears....

And then a miracle must have happened OR ELSE the reputation of New Yorkers for being jerks must be completely wrong. I swear everyone around me seemed to see my Virginia Plates and just understand I was doing the best I could. A CABBY honked and signaled for me to go ahead of him and make a lane change I needed to do. Very very few of the people who might have given me the one fingered "hello" did so, instead they waved and smiled (perhaps in pity) and made an inch and a half of extra room for me.

Of course I think they really might have enjoyed looking at an Airstream so far from it's natural habitat - but I did get through without any damage - and without having to slam on my brakes more than two or three times.

Traffic is HEAVY, the roads are washboarded, the drivers have fast reflexes and assertive habits... but that day at least the New Yorkers impressed me with their attitudes.

And as God is my witness I'll go 100 miles out of my way to never do that again!

Paula
Old 05-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. . . but that day at least the New Yorkers impressed me with their attitudes.
. . .
Good story -- had a great laugh thinking of the moment when you realized you could not turn around or avoid going through the city!

And a second good laugh at what the pedestrians and other motorists must have been thinking:

"Am I dreaming?"

Thanks . . .

Peter