Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
East side of the Hudson to the New England border.
Many nice places to visit.
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We stayed on the Erie Canal last summer and plan to go back, Ilion Marina, full hookups, beautiful watching boats go buy.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
Drapers Acres in Lake Placid is a favorite. A young, enthusiastic family bought the campground a couple years ago.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
For now I'm pretty much a lurker, figuring out if I will be able to afford an AS when we retire in a couple of years. However we live in Manhattan and also have a house in Lake George.

So I cannot really give you expert advice on where to camp.

But I would suggest you visit the Catskill region if you can. A lot of history and beautiful scenery. You will have to figure out the campground scene.

I would also suggest you visit the Lake George region. I know there are a couple of campgrounds at the southern end of LG. That area is a bit ticky-tacky but if you head north in your TV you will encounter wild land and plenty of hiking trails,
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Redwood , New York
I'm hardly impartial, but I don't think you can beat Kring Point State Park. It's about 7 miles north (down river) from Alexandria Bay. Lots of RV sites there right on the water. It's in the Thousand Islands region, and there is plenty to see and do there.

I say I'm partial because I've lived about 1 mile from that park my whole life. My folks first camped there (traveling from Long Island) in the 30's. They liked it so much, they bought property and moved there, that's a pretty good recommendation.
motthediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
State camp grounds in the Catskills or the Adirondack Mountains are hard to beat. Just google them to find specific locations. Inexpensive but usually w/o electricty or water hookups. Shower/Toilet facilitiies available though some can be a bit "campy." Areas are usually heavily wooded, shady and private. Trailer length is an issue so check out space carefully when reserving. Oh, reserve early because all sites near the City will already be "booked." Up north, 100 miles plus from the City will be more available but still "fill" quickly. We love these two mountain ranges and camp in them regularly.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Are generators allowed in NY state primitive areas?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We love Letchworth. Hookups are electric only but water is at worst a 50 yard walk to fetch more. Lots of hiking, waterfalls and a deep canyon with buzzards sailing back and forth along the canyon walls. It is cheaper to camp in NY than in Ontario. Our Provincial Parks are expensive and deliver very little.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Any feedback on BLM or FS lands in NY?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Does anyone know if this stretch has been repaired? Last I can find discussing it was 2015.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Does anyone know if this stretch has been repaired? Last I can find discussing it was 2015.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
To my knowledge, there is no BLM land, and only a very small patch of FS land in the Finger Lakes. That being said, the state land in the Catskills and Adirondacks combined are bigger than the state of Connecticut. All areas mentioned so far (Finger Lakes, Adirondacks, Niagara Frontier and 1000 Islands) are wonderful. As an old "appleknocker" (Upstater), I would add the Hudson Valley, Mohawk Valley and Leatherstocking Region (Central NYS and Cooperstown) and the Champlain Valley. All full of history and natural beauty. Don't miss Saratoga NHP (NPS), Bennington Battlefield (NYS) and Ft. Ticonderoga in the east, and Ft. Stanwix (NPS) and Herkimer House (NYS) in central NY/Mohawk Valley. You might even want to visit your town's namesake, as Oswego, NY is also very historic and scenic on the shore of Lake Ontario. All sorts of summer things to do in the Saratoga Springs/Washington County/Lake George area. I admit my bias, but even as a National Park ranger, I think upstate NY is one of the prettiest parts of the whole USA! Enjoy! PS - Locals don't usually go into the Adirondacks and North Woods until after the 4th of July - the black flies will eat you alive!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Speaking of biting pests in NY.
For new visitors to New York, they are saying this year may bring a bumper crop of ticks in NY and the Northeast. Not just the summer, spring and fall also.
Beyond the bite, Lyme disease is a nasty thing to get. Once you know where the ticks hang out and how to deal with them, it becomes a non-problem.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoing Letchworth State Park -- "The Grand Canyon of the East" -- as an amazing place to hike and see. Not on the same scale physically as the real GC, but remarkable to find within the forests of NY east of Buffalo.

Also recommend that pests are taken seriously, including the ticks just referenced, as well as mosquitos and black flies. These can be way more than annoying if you are there during their spring/early summer hatching periods. No further details here now, as I am on the road, but the threat and risk of Lyme Disease is very very real. A close friend just had to have a pacemaker implanted because of Lyme Carditis lowering her heart rate to 30. Yes 30 and that is low.

Sorry to accent the negatives, but ignorance of risk can lead to some bad one-way streets.

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Yes Cedar Point upstate, and Cedar Point Park on eastern LI are different parks! If you have not seen Niagara Falls, it is also amazing.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
New York camping suggestions

Lived here my whole life because of the beauty and the people. Can't go wrong with any of the recommendations above. Would strongly second the Finger Lake region but skip Niagara Falls.

If you are into old cars, or the kids are,
https://www.classiccarmuseum.org/exhibits.php
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #36
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Last summer we took our AS to Cooperstown, NY. Not only is the Baseball Hall of Fame there but so many other things. We really, really enjoyed the area.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote