Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
new to Airstream is it possible to live in an Airstream without AC?

in the summer and an even bigger question....can you sleep at night at campgrounds quietly with windows open or is all your listening to everyones generators and AC's??

Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It has been my general experience, that most people use some common sense and shut them down in the evenings. Summertime poses a different situation, but then again everyone likes to be cool, right?

It has also been my experience that an rv park is never the best place to get the best nights sleep..... With the windows closed!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As for generators it is common practice that they be off between 10pm and 7am.

You will find that the level of general noise varies widely. Government parks tend to be more wooded with greater separation between sites. Some private campground resemble parking lots laid out for compact cars.

As far as sleeping without AC that will depend on what part of the country you are in. We have one couple that has a trailer without AC and camps with us in the northeast. They don't look rested in the morning.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
In answer to OP, yes if you can freely move in latitude or elevation and always park in the shade
Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
new to airstream is it possible to live in an airstream with out AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaw View Post
in the summer
That depends entirely on where you go camping and what your tolerance level is for discomfort. With all of the windows open, roof vent fans running full blast, and if you're parked in heavy shade where the metal skin of the trailer doesn't get direct sun and you don't cook indoors so your stove/oven don't add more heat, the inside of your trailer will only be slightly hotter than the outside air. If you can stand to live in a tent in the summer, you should be able to live in an Airstream without A/C.

Quote:
and an even bigger question....can you sleep at night at campgrounds quietly with windows open or is all your listening to everyone's generators and AC's??
Just how loud do you think an air conditioner is from thirty or forty feet away? And just how sensitive are your ears? In any campground that provides shore power, you will not hear any generators at all, only air conditioners. And having been in many campgrounds where everyone is running an air conditioner because the overnight low temps can easily be in the mid-eighties along the Gulf Coast in summer, the only A/C you hear inside is your own. And the only one you hear when you step outside is your own. Even if yours isn't running because it's in between cooling cycles, you typically won't hear your neighbor's A/Cs from more than one campsite away unless you're in a KOA or someplace where they pack you in like sardines.

For reference, a normal conversation within arm's reach is about 60dB. A "comfortable" home bedroom sound level for sleeping is about 45dB. A typical RV air conditioner— from inside the trailer— is less than 55dB; you don't have to raise your voice to make yourself heard even if you're standing right under the danged thing, but it's still "loud" as background noise goes. The sound from a neighbor's A/C will be 30dB or less due to the distance; you can hear it only if there's nothing closer making more noise, and it's low enough to ignore unless you're trying to hear something quieter.

But the threshold of hearing for a normal person is about 4dB. You have to be very far away from all of your neighbors if you want to hear nothing but true silence from them. So if you want the mockingbirds and the crickets and the bullfrogs to be the loudest things you ever hear while camping, the only way is to get very far away from everybody else. Which is why it's called boondocking.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is possible to do without a/c in the spring and fall, but it would be tough to try a summer without a/c.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Noise from Ac's in a campground will be minimal. Buying a trailer without A/c will be detrimental to the resale value in my opinion.

thanks
Earl
Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
I highly recommend having an air conditioner in your Airstream! We have an Airstream Basecamp with air conditioning. (The Basecamp is very small.) Even with the air conditioner running FULL BLAST, if the Basecamp is parked in the sun on a hot summer day, it becomes unbearable. We now strategically place "shade sails" to drop the temperature on the outside of the Basecamp.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaw View Post
in the summer and an even bigger question....can you sleep at night at campgrounds quietly with windows open or is all your listening to everyones generators and AC's??
In general we avoid running the A/C at night except when absolutely necessary due to excessively warm weather. Mostly we run it during the day when we're trying to maintain a cool environment for taking a nap, etc.

Noise wise, campgrounds vary a little but most are quiet and most have a campground host or owner who will enforce quiet hours when asked to do so. Most people are quiet and considerate. We've only run into serious problems on holiday weekends.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
My experience has been that I need the air when it's humid and extremely hot outside (mid 90's or hotter or humid). Without the air everything inside feels a little damp to me. The Fantastic Fan vents are really a great product and a nice alternative to having the air on except for the hottest days. I have a Fantastic Fan with vent in the living area ceiling and only a vent in the bedroom ceiling which I hope to replace with another Fantastic Fan. I can't say enough good things about the Fantastic Fan! It will close when it senses rain which is great because you can leave it on if you are outside of the trailer and not have to worry about closing it should it start to rain. I think the comfort level also depends on the type of window you have - mine can only be opened on the lower half - I prefer the full windows that pop open. I rented a 34' Airstream near Custer State Park in July and was perfectly comfortable when it reached 105 degrees - I was parked in shade and had all big full pop open windows open and Fantastic Fans. I think the fans make the perfect 'background noise' while the air can be louder in my unit. I've also found that putting awnings out really help keep interior cooler. Good luck and if you do decide to buy an Airstream without air make sure you're not in an area where they have those nasty little bugs that can get through the screens - I've never experienced them but only heard they exist. Be COOL!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Jeff

I camp in Pennsylvania….a lot. Never in Pittsburg. I used my AC once in a campground on a very hot day. I sat in my camper freezing for twenty minutes, then I turned it off and went to the pool, then to the river, then played some mandolin with some guitar players. ( Truth be told I rarely go to campgrounds) I mostly dry camp at music festivals. It's cheaper and more fun than campgrounds.

Pennsylvania at night…..in July and August….I'll lend you a coat and show you how to turn on the furnace, maybe help you watch a campfire.

I've seen people at campgrounds and Bluegrass festivals sitting in their camper watching television with the AC on. Why not just stay home ????

That's just my take on it from my experiences. I don't know where you will be camping nor your camping lifestyle.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I just read Jammers post

Yeah ….running the AC for taking an afternoon nap is nice. I get by with a 12 volt fan, and I try to park in the shade of trees or to a friends giant motorhome.

Many of the fine folk that have responded are from down south. Ya know what they would call Pennsylvania at night…….WINTER!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Many of the fine folk that have responded are from down south. Ya know what they would call Pennsylvania at night…….WINTER!!![/QUOTE]

Right!...the snow has even finally gone here in southern Ontario!!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Right!...the snow has even finally gone here in southern Ontario!!!!
Snow? I've heard tall tales about snow, but I'm not sure I believe in them. Snow's about as real as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. Frozen white stuff like in your freezer when you haven't defrosted, falling from the sky? Get real!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote