Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
My first Airstream was a '62 Bambi. That was back in the late '60s, and nobody that I knew had AC in a camper. We were in our early 20s and had no trouble camping without AC.

Now, we're in our late 60s, and creature comforts mean a whole lot more to us than they did back then.

Having said that, I have a Fantastic Fan over the bed that can blow down like a ceiling fan. As night falls, and the air cools, I have found that fan makes a big difference as to whether I need AC.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
new to Airstream is it possible to live in an Airstream without AC?

It is possible and many do, but given the choice I'd want AC. Fans and a shady camping spot will make things tolerable but midday summer heat and humidity can be brutal.

We often sleep with the windows open and fan blowing which is very comfortable in most instances.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It really depends. Last summer was cool and dry. I think we used the AC once at night. The summer before last was hot and humid, and dry camping would have been very uncomfortable.

This summer is again shaping up to be sunny but cool, which quite honestly is my favourite camping weather. We make sure the awnings are out and that we're in the shade. Running the fans also makes a huge difference.

We went away for the May long weekend, where we went from the first night with the heat on to the next with all windows open and the fans going.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hey Protag

I lived in New Orleans. I was there twice when it snowed. Once in 1962? and once in 1978???? I was coming out of Felixes Oyster Bar. It was just a flurry, but you would have thought the sky was falling judging by peoples reaction.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Oh Protagonist your asking for it, ;o) ;o) especially considering how much some of them got this winter.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Oh Protagonist your asking for it, ;o) ;o) especially considering how much some of them got this winter.
Yeah, well, they probably say the same sort of thing about my tales of rainstorms that dump two feet of rain on us in less than a day, too. I don't mind. If I couldn't take it I wouldn't dish it out, right?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
My first Airstream was a '62 Bambi. That was back in the late '60s, and nobody that I knew had AC in a camper. We were in our early 20s and had no trouble camping without AC.

Now, we're in our late 60s, and creature comforts mean a whole lot more to us than they did back then.

Having said that, I have a Fantastic Fan over the bed that can blow down like a ceiling fan. As night falls, and the air cools, I have found that fan makes a big difference as to whether I need AC.
Thank you, Terry....you have answered a question that I have had for some time. We have a '66 Trade Wind that came with it's original Turbo Kool, a swamp cooler by all description. Yes it cools but if there is any humidity it's like being in a sauna. So we do not use it hoping to someday splurge for an AC. I've heard much positive reports about the Fantastic Fan and wondered if that would be an acceptable substitute. We live and camp mostly in California. Yes the summers can be hot here but there is no reason that we would camp in the hot central valley. Instead much of our camping is done in the mountains or along the Pacific coast. In the past 9 years we have only twice been 'caught' in a very hot campground kicking ourselves for nor splurging for AC. Even the mountains or coast can get warm so I'd been thinking some air movement in our coach would be enough. Fantastic Fan over our twin beds sounds like the answer for us.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
new to Airstream is it possible to live in an Airstream without AC?

Better to have an A/C unit than not, IMO. The low profile Colemans do not detract, and the ability to dry the interior as well as cool it is invaluable.

Where I live it only takes a few days for mold and mildew to get going. So a floor standing dehumidifier is also required.

I've always thought it a shame that no one besides Streamline had all aluminum cabinetry. That, and proper flooring would make for a TT that was truly all season and all climate.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Let me boil it down for you for the southeastern US: NO!
(except for mid-October through March). jon
Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We had installed on a small shelf in our bedroom a old-fashioned looking metal wire stand fan. It has two settings for low and fast speed. It provides just the perfect amount of white noise for us when we camp with our windows open, which we do most of the time because we prefer to camp NOT during the hot summer months. We prefer this fan over the overhead vent fan because the vent fan will turn on and off if it senses water - which it can do even with just heavy dew and not rain.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
An aside comment about where to camp - if you want to camp in the South in the summer with the windows open come to our neck of the woods. East Tennessee mountains. At night the Great Smoky Mountains are in the 50's. Wonderful!
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
48 years ago we used to camp without AC in pop ups, TT and canoe camping in tents. No more, we now have two AC units and usually have either them on as AC or as HP.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
You can survive without an AC... in the Rockies

[QUOTE=jeffshaw;1630943]in the summer and an even bigger question....can you sleep at night at campgrounds quietly with windows open or is all your listening to everyones generators and AC's??[/QUOTE
I rarely have an opportunity to use the AC. Why? Because I would rather suffer some discomfort than listen to this AC, roaring like a Jet Fighter taking off the deck of an aircraft carrier.

When your local humidity and temperature are both 90, take your potential trailer West where 3% humidity and 90 degrees is very agreeable.

It is not the HEAT that is getting to you. It is the HUMIDITY.

The last summer I camped in Arkansas, it did not cool down until after midnight. When it did cool down, the humidity went up. We would go there in the Fall months after wising up and NOT have to use the furnace that sounded like a jet landing on an Aircraft Carrier.

You are in a tough position. A Motel with AC when traveling is much cheaper and convenient than towing a trailer. It is actually a smart business decision NOT to buy a trailer. Once you justify buying a trailer... and not planning to move to a less humid climate, get the biggest, loudest AC money can buy. Get a Honda generator, since the noisy campground and crickets will not notice either the roaring AC or Honda purring away.