Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Great questions and I learned so much reading all of the responses. Love this Forum.

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
Welcome! To start with, the fan on the cook top vent, be sure to go outside and move the two small clips that hold the vent flapper closed so the vent flap can open. If you do not the noise will be SOOOOO loud.

We bought a foam mattress topper from Costco, placed it on the mattress , marked it with a felt marker and cut it with a large (sharp) butcher knife and used a straight edge..

Fantastic Fan - how / when to use them--Watch the video link above, it will clear a lot things up for you.

Propane use, #1 make sure both tanks are full, #2 make sure the control is set up to switch from tank to tank. It sounds like you used a lot of propane in a very short period of time.

We have owned our Airstream for almost a year and a half and love it. We spent four months last year living in it. There will be THINGS that just come up and you will learn to deal with them

Good luck

Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
It doesn't sound like you had quite a full tank, but also not terrifically out of line; hard to tell, though.

What drives me nuts is remembering to latch the stove fan vent door after I've cooked dinner, because in wind it flops and makes noise all night...

Here's my list when I leave the trailer for a fairly long period:

-Turn off all lights (except if I'm getting back in the middle of the night, then I might leave the LED lamp on if I'm plugged in, and the step light)
-Turn the furnace temp down to 50
-Turn the water heater off
-Turn the water pump off
-If it's hot, empty the garbage
-If there's no strong winds, crack the back vent a tiny bit and leave the Fantastic Fan running (since currently the Bambino sits in direct sun from about noon onwards and I don't want my plants to die or my fiddle to bake); if there's strong winds, just the former and turn off the latter--and do not leave anything I wouldn't want to get wet under the open vents!

This is my list after a month of full-timing; I'm sure I'll add to it/do different things in different weather.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Oh -- and seriously...get the Newbies Guide. You'll refer to it often. I still find things in it i didn't remember from the first few readings when I browse through it.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Hey ,what about an electric blanket. That will keep you toasty!!!LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if you left the heat on while towing you might have burned a lot of LP. the trailer cools quickly while on the road since it is certainly not close to air tight.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Richinny has a good point -- tho I was specifically warned by my dealership to bite the bullet and keep the heat at 45 while towing (except where prohibited, of course), because if you let the mattress get too cold, it will take forever to warm up enough not to suck all the heat right out of you.

Of course, if you have an electric mattress pad, this is not as big a concern. I will probably do so when I go into winter next year. (If I'm not across the Pond and the Bambino in storage.)

Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Thanks for the tip on the noisy stove fan...we did not remove any clips...but will advise husband about that!! Certainly would help explain the noise level...;o).

We did not run the heat while we were towing. Trip was only about 2 hours from home...and weather was mild.

Will turn it down though when we are out and about...honestly...never even thought of that.

One more question for now...do we or should we chock the tires ??

Again...cannot thank you enough!!

K
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
If the site is dead level, you don't have to chock...but lots of people make it a habit whether level or not, so's they never forget. (See the current 'oops' thread.)

I can't recommend the Newbies Guide enough. It'll answer almost all of your questions, and more!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
chock the tires at least with a 2x4 or better. if your awning are out the trailer can set sail!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
, so's they never forget. (See the current 'oops' thread.)

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Chico , California
We bought the costco foam/gel topper for our mattress as well. Just cut it with regular household scissors--super easy and makes it more comfortable.
We just purchased our trailer, so your post and the responses are very helpful. Enjoy your Airstream!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Always chock, as Zlee says, it's a good habit. I use x-chocks between the wheels and the big yellow plastic ones as a backup. Had no problems, other than as identified in the "Oops" thread.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
So many thanks !!! I have reading material and suggestions...and the best advice EVER !! Appreciate you sharing your learnings and thoughts. We'll certainly be better prepared on our next adventure...