Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
New Orleans To Hot Springs Perfect Day

Yesterday was a great day. Wife and I are on our way to Hot Springs Arkansas. We departed New Orleans about 8 and drove for 7 hours to Lake Village Arkansas, trailer pulled great, truck ran prefect and Margaretville Radio on Sirius was playing great music. Doesn’t get much better. We stayed over night at Pecan Grove RV campground located at Lake Village AR, great campground with 100 year old Pecan trees at each site, very clean and nice.

When leaving New Orleans we were passed by several SOB trailers, FEMA units going to Katrina Victims, it is sad that almost a year later people still are in need of trailers. Back on topic the wife said the tires on those units look like bicycle tires compared to ours. Not 2 miles later one of the trailers blew out a tire and ran it to the rim getting off the road, these FEMA trailers are brand new. Lesson here stick with what Airstream recommends and check them often.

On to Hot Springs.

Jim, Donna, Justin and Freddie

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Bet it was hot!!!

What amazes me is how those sob trailers are just sitting up on top of the axles. Looks like the tires are just there hope that makes sense. Sounds like yall are having a great time. How was New Orleans from a visitors angle/view.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
What amazes me is how those sob trailers are just sitting up on top of the axles. Looks like the tires are just there hope that makes sense.
They are built that high up to minimize the intrusion of the wheelwells into the living and storage spaces. That also makes them more top-heavy. Personally, I would rather have the trailer sit lower so I don't have to climb a ladder to get in the thing.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
What amazes me is how those sob trailers are just sitting up on top of the axles. Looks like the tires are just there hope that makes sense. Sounds like yall are having a great time. How was New Orleans from a visitors angle/view.
I am a resident of New Orleans so as far as trailer sites I am not sure. The City itself still has many issues but most would not be apparent to visitors. New Orleans is hosting the National Librarian Convention this week, 20,000 attendees. 300 National Guard troops are in duty in the flooded out areas to protect those who are living in FEMA trailers trying to rebuild their homes. The City is 50% the population it was pre Katrina. New Orleans has a long way to go before it will be a great city again. Part of what our Airstream is about is checking out other areas as we may relocate in the near future.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
pine bluff , Arkansas
from pine bluff, ar

I'm from pine bluff, ar which is about 1 hour and 15 minutes southeast of hot springs and my inlaws have a house on lake hamilton in hot springs. hope you guys enjoy the area. there are lots of things to see if you have the time to look.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynamy
I'm from pine bluff, ar which is about 1 hour and 15 minutes southeast of hot springs and my inlaws have a house on lake hamilton in hot springs. hope you guys enjoy the area. there are lots of things to see if you have the time to look.
We are at the Hot Springs KOA and will be here until Thursday morning. This is the first KOA I have stayed at and so far it has been great. This particular KOA was KOA camp ground of the year and has great WIFI. We have seen one other Airstream here it seems to be at least a 30’ and a Special Edition. I am jealous and I am in a new trailer.

Donna, Justin, and I are looking forward to getting out and about tomorrow. I can tell you the temperature and the roads are already better than New Orleans. Donna wants to do some Antiquing and I may take Justin down to the indoor range and let him plink away with various rifles. Freddie has had a great time marking various areas of the campground and barking at ducks.

Jim, Donna, Justin, and Freddie
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost