Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans RV Campgrounds...?

I'm looking for any recomendations from folks that have stayed in any of the campgrounds in and around New Orleans. We'll be there Sunday of Memorial day weekend, staying for about three days. If you have a recommendation or warning, please let me know.
Thanks
cetcra@alltel.net
Old 05-25-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Brian.

We stayed at St. Bernard about 18 miles out of N.O.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/parks/

Electric, water, bath house. And a goose that was always after my ankles! A nice place. We spent most of our time downtown, so we left early and got back late.

I think they lock the front gates at 10 or midnight, and they open at six. Check in with them to find out the situation, as it may have changed since we were there a few years ago.

On the way from N.O. to the campground, you pass by a bunch of oil refineries, as well as a historic battlefield. You also pass aa little shack that sells some of the most amazing sausages on this planet. Heading to the campground from N.O. it is on the left. Sorry, I don't know the name, but it is very close to St. Bernard. We actually bought a cheap styrofoam cooler to pack it with sausages to bring back to Chicago for our friends and family.

You have to find this place!

A NOTE OF SAFETY: You probably have heard this a million times but be very careful where you park in N.O. We were parked adjacent to Louis Armstrong Park, and our V-Dub Van was broken into, and suddenly I was without about $12,000.00 worth of camera and computer eqiupment. I "thought" mistakenly that because I was parked on a busy street, daylight, and BMW's, Mercedes, and other nice vehicles, I'd be OK. Sadly, I was mistaken.

And worse, a side window for the Eurovan, which parts are real hard and expensive to come by. Insurance fortunatly saved me, but guess where my rates are now???

Park only in lots where there are lots of people around. Don't be a cheap-skate like me trying to save a coupla bucks and park out of the way. That may work in Chicago, Boston or L.A., but all bets are off for the Big Easy! even with the excitement that we had on our last trip, there is no question that we would definately go back. N.O. is a strangely wonderful place. We would pack more common sense.....

Enjoy your trip and hope that this helps.

Jonathan
Old 05-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We like New Orleans West KOA.....pretty busy even in early April. It seemed safe and conveniently located to downtown. They have a website...through KOA.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

http://www.lastateparks.com/bayouseg/byusegne.htm

Bayou Segnette may be the best but I've only been there in the daytime.
Fountainbleau State Park is really nice but is across the lake by 24 miles,
much further than Bayou Segnette. Check out this link.
Regarding the "Armstrong Park" area-it's about the worst part of the city.
Right across the street from the Quarter which is basically safe but don't even go across Rampart St. Cameras and computers may be the least of youre problems.
Hope you have a good weekend. We do have a really amazing city.
Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:18 PM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Heidi.

Armstrong Park is a really neat place to visit. Of coarse we did that during daylight hours, as we did the cemetaries. If I'm not mistaken, when we were there a few years back, they had just finished sprucing up the park. Across from the park were some seedy looking bar-dancer kinda places.

I need Mother's, a mufalata, gumbo, and Beignets with some Chickory coffee. I had such an adiction to those deep fried marvels, I was actually snorting several grams of the powder-sugar stuff a day!

My cardiologist was going to use Drain-O to try and clear out my arteries!!!

Jonathan
Old 05-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
How about piles of fresh oysters and hot boiled shrimp? It's been years since we've been in NO, but some things you never forget.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I do not understand what is good about the "French Quarter"; smelled like urine the a.m. we were there and lotsa interesting "street people" about.

As for the food seemed everything was deep fat fried...had to go to McDonalds and get a salad

Guess probably it is good at night, if you do the night life thing....

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
when i worked in n.o. some years ago , i stayed in slidell dont know about c.g.s, but the mudbugs and the oysters are cheap.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
NO is one of the best food towns in the world. Even the gumbo at the drug store was great. Those cat fish chips deep fried with horseradish drip were amazing. Something for everyone unless you are a MCD's fan.
Guess you passed on the life sex shows. Me to. After all they were stranger.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
PS. It was not save to go wondering around to the left of the French Q as you enter from the main drag when we were there. I think that's the cemetry area but I'm not sure. You need to ask the cops were is and is not OK to go. The antiques shops on Royal street make museums look like they have the left overs. Saw a great China wood carving screen from the 10th century for 120,000. Yes sir 4 zeros. Didn't buy it. Waiting for the street sale.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Talking Northshore

I live on the Northshore (North of Lake Pontchartrain - across the lake from N.O.) for lots of reasons - one being the crime in New Orleans. There is a state park about a mile from my house that a lot of people seem to like - Fairview Riverside. It's 37 miles from here to New Orleans (my office is a few blocks from the Quarter). It's an easy commute, but I wouldn't recommend the Northshore if you want to party & then try to make it back -- the bridge is long and the troopers lose their sense of humor if you're weaving .

On the other hand, if you want a quiet place to stay & take a trip to the city to look around, this isn't a bad choice - just a long drive.

There's something for everyone in New Orleans. My wife and I like to have a nice meal, window shop on Royal (for gods sake, don't buy anything), have a few drinks at Pat O'Brians & call it a night. If you don't drink, go during the early morning (10am), have lunch & be out by early evening. If you drink lots, take an afternoon nap & hit the strip at 9:00pm. There's a bar called the Dungeon that opens at midnight ... if you're feeling particularly young and feisty.

If you tire of the Quarter, don't forget the Antibellum homes up along the river - you can take a tour or drive yourself. They're pretty easy to find.

Enjoy yourself ... that's what it's about.

Dave
zoom240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
...and jazz....everywhere jazz. yesss.

J
Old 05-26-2004, 12:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Is the The Riverboat RV Campground in a bad area?

I know a great tour guide ( who plays mandolin) He charges by how much weight you gain.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Riding the trolley car through the Garden District (what a house tour!) and spending a morning or afternoon at Audubon Park is also a delight when in N.O- an active special treat for kids if you are traveling with younger family who get a little tired of the "old" stuff.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote