Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
New Orleans Campgrounds

We are taking a two week trip and will stop in New Orleans area for a few days. Any recommendations on where to stay? I read some older posts from years ago and wondered if anyone had more up to date. We are leaving May 3rd or so.
We have been there 3 times before but by plane/car/hotel.
thanks,
Phil
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Bayou Segnette?

Not exactly a recommendation but something to consider...

My wife and I are planning a late May trip to NO to help with a Habitat house. We made reservations for Bayou Segnette State Park.

CRT - Louisiana State Parks Fees, Facilities and Activities

We have not stayed there before but it's really close to downtown compared to other places we considered.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We have stayed at Fairview-Riverside State Park (2008) on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. It's one of our favorite state parks -- very picturesque with moss-draped oaks and the river. It's on the banks of the Tchefuncte River and has a boat launch if you're into kayaking. We enjoyed the area and also took a couple of day trips into the city. You can take the causeway -- pretty cool if you have not done this -- or drive along the west side of lake. If I remember correctly the causeway is a $3.00 toll south bound only.

Have not stayed at or visited Bayou Segnette but would certainly consider for its closeness to the city. We have stayed at several Louisiana State Parks and have never been disappointed.

Also, FYI, Louisiana honors the Federal senior pass with a 50% discount on state parks. Pretty good deal.

We were in New Orleans in February and I did notice what appeared to be a new campground right in the city. It appeared to be a gated facility and very nice. Sorry, but I do not remember the name. It was within walking distance of the French Quarter, etc. You could actually see it from the Interstate. If this might be of interest to you possibly the visitors center or a google search could help you out. I'm sure that it would be on the high end but you'd have no parking issues and as I said it looked pretty upscale.

Hope this helps -- have a great trip!

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I found the website for the place I saw in the city -- thought you might want to check it out. Good luck!

French Quarter RV Resort - Rates & Reservations

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have stayed at St Bernard SP in Braithwaite La 10 years ago. It is about 20 mins. east out of town. But if you are carrying a Federal Golden Age Pass there is a 50% discount in La. SP.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I second St Bernard. We were there in our Eurovan Camper before we had the AS, and really enjoyed it. Seemed safe, bath house and so on. I'd check to see conditions at the office since Katrina wound its way through there. Been a while so I think things may be fine.

When in NO, don't leave anything in your car/TV that is of any value and is at all visible. I had about $15000.00 worth of photographic and computer equipment borrowed. Worse, all the work I shot. Live and learn.

Jonathan
Old 04-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort last Spring. It is within walking distance of the FQ. It is high-rent, but it does have all the bells and whistles. It is gated and secure. They will give you a cart ride to the south end of the property to reduce the walk by a block or so. Also, if you call them when you are returning, they will meet you.

Con is that the 4 blocks or so between where you are and where you want to be would not be walkable at night. Daytime, I had no problems.

As the property backs up to I-10, there is always road noise. So if you like to sit outside and listen to the birds, well, that's not gonna happen.

Staff are first class - as are the facilities (pool, showers, etc).

We liked it a lot, as we like to park the truck when we are in the city, and walk or take pub transportation sightseeing.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have stayed several times at Bayou Segnette, which is very nice, very clean and neat, and with free laundry! A 20-minute drive from there takes you to the FREE Algiers ferry, which drops you off on the riverwalk of the French Quarter. It costs $5 to park all day at the ferry, we lock up and have had no problems.

We stayed once at a KOA I think that offered a shuttle to the Quarter and back----when we got there, found this was once in the am and back late pm----a very long day.

We are staying the end of this month at the French Quarter RV park, for the first time, very pricey but not so much when you think of hotel rooms down there. We are going to do a little JazzFest, they have a shuttle to and from. We like the idea of being right in the Quarter, have always wanted to ride our bikes down there, , but are really doing them specifically because of JazzFest.

Our recommendation would be Bayou Segnette , SP. Can't beat the price, the ferry is fun and you can come back whenever you want. Have a good time!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
I really appreciate the replies and some good choices.
I'm sorry you had all that camera equipment stolen. One year I stayed on canal st and parked in the hotel lot across the street and had the windshield shot at with a bb gun. I didn't notice it until I was already on my way back to the airport ( rental).
Next trip I mentioned it and they said kids shoot from the apt windows all the time at parked cars. Next trip I took a cab from the airport ;-)

Thanks,
Phil
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote