Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
New Orleans?

Anyone have any recent experience with either Jude Travel Park or French Quarter RV in New Orleans. Going down there this weekend to work on a Habitat house for the week. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have stayed at FQRV park several times. It is gated, secure, very clean and tidy. It is expensive, and a parking lot, but on the edge of the Quarter, so if you're into the nightlife this is the place to be. You can walk or get a cab easily.

We also like Bayou Segnette SP in Algiers. A short drive to the Algiers ferry (free), $5 to park for the day and the ferry drops you off in the Quarter.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
FQRV is first class and in walking distance to the FQ. Lots of highway noise from I10. Great facilities, clean RRs and free coffee and the Times-Picayune.

Just the kind of place to stay after doing good all day.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
For future reference, I ultimately sayed at Jude Travel Park. I was very apprehensive when I first arrived (because of the condition and location) and honestly my Habitat partner and I thought long and hard about relocating to FQRV the first day. We went over to check out FQRV and saw things first hand.

First off the owners at Jude Travel Park are great. They took possesion of the park from a friend in the summer of 2010, so they're still new at this. This place though is a parking lot with grass. Sites are about 15 feet wide so it's cramped. I was able to park my 19 foot truck in front of my 26 foot trailer end-to-end, but clearly folks with 5th wheels needed to park more creatively. Most tennants there are migrant construction workers. I would estimate 10% of visitors are passing through and another 10% people living in what appeared to be a more long-term situation. Everyone we met was very friendly and truly helped alleviate our concerns and make our decision to stay put. Park backed up to a railroad yard, but rail noise was very minimal. Many feral cats wandering around - cute, but I didn't feed or touch. Overall, I was OK with it but again it just was a place to come back to after work to drink, eat and lick our wounds. The owners have a "shuttle" to the FQ which was about 5 miles away. $10 round trip and they'll pick you up as late as 9:30PM. We took this option the 1 night my buddy and I opted to visit the FQ. Very convenient and half the price of a cab. Owners actually drove us in their vehicles.

However, if your goal is to enjoy the FQ and other activities nearby, or if $$ is not an issue, FQRV is for you. Cleaner, updated brick structures, walking distance, etc. It too is a parking lot, but a MUCH nicer one. Rates do change with events going on so check ahead of time. The best you'll do is $69 a night less a Good Sam or AAA discount. Would have preferred this but we just couldn't justify the extra cost for what we were using the grounds for... sleeping. And, the highway noise was pretty loud and consistent from what I heard there. It's right below interstate 10.

Depends on what you want to do there. If I did habitat again I would stay at Jude and save some money. If I was a visitor wanting to enjoy the area or was just someone who wants clean and tidy surroundings, definitely FQRV.

BTW - I was the only Airstream there, so we got a lot of attention.

Hope this is helpful to someone some day.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmhmmm---next time you'll listen to your travlin' friends.

Maggie
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
But, I did... ... which is why I visited both and stayed at the one that ultimately suited my needs at the time. I think we both said the same thing, if I was there for the nightlife FQRV is the place to be. I wasn't though. Hopefully others will find the feedback on both places helpful sometime.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
annie oakley

1991 25' Excella
Columbus , Ohio
Hi Jeff,
I stayed at the FQRV park after completing the Louisiana Cajun Heritage Caravan. My friend and I wanted to experience New Orleans for a few days. Everyone's right, it is expensive and not in a great neighborhood (we were told be very careful after dark if walking back). We had no problems. It really is about 2 blocks from the French Quarter and just a stones throw to the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce and they are very, very helpful. The campground and the staff were very clean and nice (even if it is in a "parking lot"!) We liked it a lot as we did a ton of walking but cabs are reasonable and easy to find.
annie oakley is offline   Reply With Quote