Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
New Mexico Camping

We are taking our 24 foot airstream and two kids to New Mexico in September.

We plan to home base around Albuquerque, but are really interested in some sights around Santa Fe and northwestward.

Is there a particular route that may provide us safe driving and good sights?
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
I lived in Santa Fe for 2 years back in '98 and '99. the Turquoise Trail is a nice alternate to I-25 going from ABQ to Santa Fe.
Enjoy,
Pat
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
New Mexico Camping

We have family in New Mexico for 15 yrs. Your family will have so many options to explore. Some of my favorites include Santa Fe, Taos, and Bandolier National Monument
Bandelier is an enormous rugged but beautiful canyon and mesa country as well as evidence of a human presence going back over 11,000 years. I was particularly mesmerized by the petroglyphs & dwellings carved into the cliffs, and standing masonry walls a tribute to the early days of a culture that still survives in the surrounding communities.

And don't even get me started on the
regional cuisine....!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
You might want to consider a side trip to Durango, CO. Lots of camping and outdoor adventures between Albuquerque and the Durango area, including:

• Mesa Verde National Park (Anasazi Indian cliff dwellings and ruins)

• Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway

• Old 100 Gold Mine Tour (Silverton)

• Mild-to-Wild River Rafting & Jeep Tours (Durango)

• Soaring Colorado Treetop Adventures (Zip-Line Tours - Durango)

And, lots more!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We love N.M, state parks. Google and you will see. No need to go up to Durango.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Thanks ya'll! Do any of you have a favorite RV park? I see a lot on RV park reviews and can choose from some basics, but have you tried any of the off-the path parks like the one at Angel Fire?
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Eaglemate, New Mexico is a very large place, about three times the size of Tennessee. And there is stuff to see all over the place; there is just no way to see it all. Since you have some time left before your trip, I'd suggest that you get one of the New Mexico tourism publications. Select one part of the state (e.g., north central) and pick out stuff to see/do there. Pick your campground based on the area that you want to explore!

http://www.newmexico.org/download-central/

Lynn
Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
I like the thread-We will also be in NM late September in our 1967 30 footer-Shakedown voyage from Fl, first time out after the rebuild. We have friends in Questa, Taos, and Santa Fe. Haven't been back there in years, so appreciate any tips or recommendations. Rolland and Nancy 5953

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Rolland, unless you can put that 30' Sovereign in the driveway of one of your friends, you can camp near both Questa and Taos at BLM campgrounds: Wild Rivers is just a couple of miles from Questa, and Orilla Verde is just ten miles or so outside of Taos. (The Carson Nat'l Forest campgrounds in these parts generally close at the end of September, but the BLM ones remain open for a while.)

Oh, and if you are in these parts for any period, let me know! I'd love to see your Airstream! We also own a 67 Sovereign!

Lynn
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
When you are in that area, I would recommend that you visit the Los Alamos area. It was the place where much of the research and development of the atomic bomb occurred during WWII. There is an excellent museum dedicated to the project and it is free. Much research still occurs in Los Alamos with one of the greatest concentrations of scientists in the U.S. The story of the development and the secrecy surrounding it is a truly interesting story told at the museum.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Having stayed at a few RV parks in and around Santa Fe, I highly recommend Rancheros de Santa Fe just outside of town. Much better than the Trailer Ranch on Cerrillos Road, that is a mess. While there, a must is Bishops Lodge for an afternoon or evening meal. Tia Sophia's in town is also a must place to eat; breakfast there is my favorite. Angelina's in Espanola has the best regional food experience IMHO.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ALBUQUERQUE , New Mexico
Eaglemate,

Ah, New Mexico. The Land Of Enchantment. A lot to see!

How long will you be here?

Want hookups or Boondock?

Just as a taste.......

1). Chaco Canyon (Facilities no hookups) is something you should see. Established around 500B.C. by the Chaconians as a regional trading/religious site. Get on line though to reserve a site to camp! Out of Bernalillo take Rt. 550 north towards Bloomfield. Drive about 1-1/2 hours north and turn west about 50 miles south of Bloomfield and take RT. 7061 to Chaco Canyon National Historical Park (it's marked). The road is not paved, but it's not bad except for the last two miles.

2). If your up towards Taos, get out of town north about 4 miles and head west on RT. 64 and cross the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge (they filmed a Terminator movie here). You can pull over and walk across to view the gorge. Very impressive. Google Rio Grande Bridge to learn a lot more.

2a). You could continue north on RT. 285 into Southern Colo. and camp at the
Conejos River just north of the town Antonito, CO. Nice place!

3). (This is the Santa Fe National Forest - boondocking) Leave Albq. head north to Bernalillo and take RT.550 north to San Yisidro turn right and head to Jemez Pueblo. Go past the Waltowa Visitors Center and continue past the High School. The next turn to the left is Rt. 485 to Gilman continue on this paved road and go thru the tunnels (this is where they filmed The Lone Ranger) and the road turns into FR. 376 (unpaved) and you're climbing all the way (just take it slow, much to see!). You can do this with your trailer, we do it with ours and many others do it with 30 ftrs. Go up to mile marker 8 to 12 and camp anywhere you wish. Big meadows at about 7,500 ft. past Porters Landing. This road continues up to the top of the mountain and takes
you to Fenton Lake State Park (7,800 ft.) another great spot. Plenty of camping but call reservation.gov. and reserve a site.

4). Once on top of the Hill you can take this road RT. 4 over to Bandalier National
Moument, Los Alamos, White Rock and Valle Caldera all a very fine ride.

5). A good site to hang out and camp close to Albq. (an hour away)and between Albq. and Santa Fe is Cochiti Lake. Managed by the Corp of Enginneers. Hookup if you want. Ringtail Cat Loop has a very nice view of the lake from the bluff. (Site #72) Good clean showers and very well maintained. Easy on and off the Interstate 25.

Much more if you want. You can send me a private email if you'd like. Much to see.
Just let me know what you want.

"Bob"
Permit Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Cool New Mexico Camping

We are planning on leaving Florida on 9/11/14 or thereabouts, and returning about 3 weeks later. We have work restraints before and after, so have to plan it that way. Last time we had trailered to Questa would have been in a 18' in about 1978. Have been there several time since by motorcycle and flying into Albuquerque, but will be nice to return by airstream. I am still working on the Airstream, exterior is done, but still a long ways to go on the interior. Will take it even if not completely finished inside, have waited long enough. I don't have any pressing work or VA appointments in that time period. Eaglemate, what is your schedule like? I really appreciate all the tips, will make traveling out there more interesting. I just sent away for the "America the Beautiful" card, I'm a disabled Vietnam vet way over 62 so it was free. Should make it a bit cheaper in the National sites. Happy Trails! Rolland
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Regina and I spent a large part of July in New Mexico, Go to the petroglyphs monument. we did the one that allowed dogs. we stayed at Turqoise something rv park in Cedar Crest, it was wonder full and we had shade.

Hyde Memorial park in Santa Fe we were in the overflow and boondocked for one night.

If you go north to Pilar and the Rio Bravo Campground on teh banks of the RIo Grande, BLM campground with lights and water. SPot 2 is the shady spot. We spend a week there and loved it. btw, the McDonald's in Taos is privately owned and the $1 sausage mcmiuffins are $2.98.

The blm camp was $7.50 a night with my golden age pass.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
A few years ago we stayed at Bandolier, really liked it, and, as hikers, never ran out of things to do. The other ancestral Pueblo ruins in the area (like Chaco Canyon) were super, but we couldn't get into the (full, no revs) camgrounds, and it was a long way over a bad road into Chaco to camp anywhere else. Not so taken with Los Alamos (a bit creepy) but we found the Vietnam War memorial in Angel Fire, NM to be very moving.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
...we found the Vietnam War memorial in Angel Fire, NM to be very moving.
The tip-off is all the boxes of Kleenex sitting around the place. You need them.

Lynn
Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We use the Enchanted Trails RV Park just west of Albuquerque for the night before the annual Balloon Festival in October. We are approaching from Phoenix which is a southwest approach into the area. We form up at the Camping World next door to the RV park to caravan to the field in small groups.

We found that we like Santa Fe Skies RV Park when we stay in the Santa Fe area for the opera and seeing old friends. We were introduced to that park during a 4CU rally early this summer and will be back there next week for a few days starting our first multi stop trip with our Airstream.

We have cruised the four corners area on both Harley and the GoldWing motorcycles from our house we had in Santa Fe for many years. Really a lovely area in the summer but darn cold in the winter.

Lots of summer pop up thunderstorms in the Santa Fe and Taos area, so bring the leak detector and use it often.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
How have all of you found traveling with pets to be? I would like to bring my English Setter along this time. He is pretty well behaved, especially around people, but has about a 30 second attention span (has the free run of 20 acres at home here, so has lots of "distractions") but he likes to ride, and might be good company. Are most campgrounds and especially national parks and lands "pet friendly"? Happy Trails! Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Our 18 yr. old 10 LB. poodle is now blind but love to go with us anywhere. Heading to north country high peaks area for two weeks tomorrow! Will let you know more when we return as we will be off the grid for nearly two weeks.

She will not likely enjoy hiking like in her earlier years but should enjoy the BBQ's & scouting for loons on the lake. ...and we packed both her life vest & sweaters for expected chilly weather.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1408644819.945950.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	219515

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In Durango at the Alpen Rose RV Park on US 550 there is a several acre dog playground. The KOA in Cortez on US 160 also has a several acre dog playground. The Santa Fe Skies RV park has a modest size dog play ground.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote