Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
My forty pound ES is traveling with me. We were going to stay on the east coast for a while, but we are headed west as there is open space where she can run....
Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Rolland, with a few exceptions National Parks and Monuments are very strict about dogs. They can be walked on-leash in campgrounds, roads and parking lots, but normally are not allowed on the trails. This can make US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management camping more pet-friendly.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Thanks for the info-I was not sure if dogs were allowed at all in most places, but assumed they had to be on a leash. Have traveled quite a bit, but never with pets. On another topic, are memberships to clubs like KOA or Good SAMs worth getting anymore? Are most of the KOAs pet friendly? Thanks, Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Good Sam still exists, Rolland, but I frankly wonder if I'd join. It's only worth 10% off the stay, which is less than the tax on the stay in these parts, and you have to pay Good Sam in order to get it. Even so, a whole bunch of people do belong to Good Sam, just about every other customer we get.

I'm not sure about the KOA card thing. What I am sure about is that there aren't many KOA campgrounds in these parts. I think there might be one in Santa Fe and one in Las Vegas (NM), but that'd be about for north central NM.

Lynn
Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Thanks Lynn-Kind of what I was thinking-Already have Disabled Vet, America the beautiful, and AARP. Adding more might be redundant. How late in the year are you open?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
We usually stay open until middle of October at the latest, but this year it'll probably be sooner: I have to take my wife to a follow-up appointment at a hospital in Denver in October. If I can get our poop together, I'd like to go up in the Airstream rather than staying in motels again.

Lynn
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The folks at the Alpen Rose RV park in Durango stated that all signs point to an early winter and that instead of closing 1 October, they might have to close in September. So keep a weather eye open as surprise snow storms can show up really quick like summer thunderstorms.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Gosh, I sure hope not. However, late summer or fall snow is not that terrible. It melts either right away or fairly soon. While still on the ground, it's also picturesque because it contrasts nicely with the other colors still there. (Snow in, say, late November is another story. It just stacks up and stays around until sometime in April in the high country. And unless you like white, white, white and more white as scenery, it's not that pretty.)

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The folks at the Alpen Rose RV park in Durango stated that all signs point to an early winter and that instead of closing 1 October, they might have to close in September. So keep a weather eye open as surprise snow storms can show up really quick like summer thunderstorms.....
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We spend a lot of time in NM...and love it from top to bottom. The state park system is well-priced and extensive. Don't rule out Southern NM. In fact, the 4CU is having a two-legged rally 20-24 Sept...meeting at City of Rocks State Park north of Deming (and south of Silver City) for a couple of nights, then caravaning south about 60 miles to Columbus, NM and Pancho Villa State Park with a walk-over-the-border excursion in the mix (passports required). If interested it's listed on the Rally Calendar...or contact me for info.

We also like the Santa Fe Skies RV Park just south of Santa Fe...there's also a nice KOA in Bernalillo just off I-25 and of course, there's the Monte Verde RV Park in Angel Fire. Heron Lake State Park up north near Chama in nice, too.

Wherever you go, have a blast and enjoy this remarkable part of the country.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
Thanks for the info-I was not sure if dogs were allowed at all in most places, but assumed they had to be on a leash. Have traveled quite a bit, but never with pets. On another topic, are memberships to clubs like KOA or Good SAMs worth getting anymore? Are most of the KOAs pet friendly? Thanks, Rolland

We have traveled with two 60# Standard Poodles and have never been refused at a campground. We use Allstatemotorclub and it comes with a KOA membership. we also belong to Good Sams and feel we get our monies worth with the discount gas and camping goods for a relatively small membership fee. Koa's have come a long way in customer satisfaction and most have a dog run.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Going to pay special attention to the weather this year then. Been exceptionally hot here in Fl this year, and the rivers have been exceptionally high due to all the rain in Ga.-Will have to plan accordingly. If you hear of any more early closings of parks around Taos and Santa Fe, let me know. Thanks, happy trails!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Rio Bravo BLM Campground just south of Taos at Pilar is a gem. LIghts water, $1.00 showers and right on the Rio Grande. We had a marvelous time and would go up to the Taos Library for wifi. The McDonald's was too dang expensive the dollar menu was 2.98.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #33
CalamonTin

2008 30' Classic
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Rolland, looking at your posts from a while back. I'm in the panhandle of fl and am meeting another couple in Santa Fe. I'm curious about the routr and any recommendations you might have as far as places to camp in route.
ProPride 3P, 1400 hitch
1974 RHD TR-6
CalamonTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
That's because the McDonald's in Taos comes up kind of short as a culinary experience. Here are my suggestions:

Michael's Kitchen on the main drag, north side. Favored by locals and tourists. The veggie omelet is a perfect breakfast! Alas, because it's known to tourists, it can be crowded during tourist season.

Taos Diner II: Right across from McDonalds. Great breakfasts and lunches!

Guadalajara Grill. Locals love it; tourists don't know it much. Great Mexican food at a very reasonable price. Way up on the north side.

Of course, there are bunches of other restaurants in Taos, many with a price tag, but very, very good! But somehow we find ourselves always returning to the three above.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
...The McDonald's was too dang expensive the dollar menu was 2.98.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
What is your timeline for meeting your friends in Santa Fe?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #36

1974 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
New Mexico Camping

My husband and I will be in New Mexico from Sept. 5 for about 3 weeks. first to Silver City which is an old mining town and where Billy the Kid once lived. An RV Park reasonably priced and a little out of town called Manzano's. Surrounded by trees , each spot is sort of private. Then on to an Airstream Rally in Santa Fe from the 10-14 at Santa Fe Skies RV park. It is a region 11 rally ( includes AZ, CO, UT, NM ) We have been checking all the web sites that list things to do in the area and here's my list of things I want to do in Santa Fe. Georgia O'Keefe Museum, Loretto Chapel (a miraculous staircase - check it out ), The Plaza (shopping) and the Farmer's Market. Also the Rio Grande River Gorge Bridge outside of Taos and the Taos Pueblo
samib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #37

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
The Rio Chama Campground in Chama, New Mexico is on the banks of the Chama River and within a block of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad yards. In fact the steam trains run almost through the campground twice a day and sometimes more often. A quiet peaceful camp site and a great place for trout fishing and narrow gauge railroad fans.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by samib View Post
My husband and I will be in New Mexico from Sept. 5 for about 3 weeks. first to Silver City which is an old mining town and where Billy the Kid once lived. An RV Park reasonably priced and a little out of town called Manzano's. Surrounded by trees , each spot is sort of private. Then on to an Airstream Rally in Santa Fe from the 10-14 at Santa Fe Skies RV park. It is a region 11 rally ( includes AZ, CO, UT, NM ) We have been checking all the web sites that list things to do in the area and here's my list of things I want to do in Santa Fe. Georgia O'Keefe Museum, Loretto Chapel (a miraculous staircase - check it out ), The Plaza (shopping) and the Farmer's Market. Also the Rio Grande River Gorge Bridge outside of Taos and the Taos Pueblo
Welcome aboard, samib... and another Tucson Airstreamer!

Unfortunately we are not going to make the Santa Fe Region 11 Rally this year, but there will be some other 4CU folks there ... you should check out the 4 Corners Unit of WBCCI — we have a great time together. We have a new rally 20-24 Sept, the Rocks-n-Ritas Rally starting at City of Rocks State Park north of Deming, then caravanning to Columbus, NM and Pancho Villa State Park for another stay ... info on the rally calendar/sign-up page (and listed at the bottom of the Portal Page). If you can't make that one, we have a great Thanksgiving Rally up at Lake Pleasant MW of Phx and the legendary New Year's Rally at Picacho Peak State Park. Both are a great times. Contact me if you'd like info...

And again, welcome to the Forums!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamonTin View Post
Rolland, looking at your posts from a while back. I'm in the panhandle of fl and am meeting another couple in Santa Fe. I'm curious about the routr and any recommendations you might have as far as places to camp in route.

We will probably leave about 9/14/14, head to Taos-Questa-Santa Fe, and then down to Albuquerque for the balloon fiesta on 10/3- (It is on my bucket list) We are trying to hook up with the region 12 Rally there for the fiesta, if we can get a spot. We are pretty much playing it by ear as far as camping, not making any reservations. We should be pretty self contained, so can stop almost anywhere overnight. Will probably take the most direct route, even though I have relatives in Texas, because we would like to spend as much time with our friends in NM as we can. When are you heading out and back? Nancy and Rolland 5953

Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #40
CalamonTin

2008 30' Classic
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Not until Oct 13. And we have to be back in the panhandle by Nov 1. So unless you guys are headed back around that time it looks as if we will have to start planning earlier.

ProPride 3P, 1400 hitch
1974 RHD TR-6
CalamonTin is offline   Reply With Quote