Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
New Brunswick and Quebec Camping

All,

Page and I are planning to be in the Boston area around the 15th of June, then take off from there up to Maine, New Brunswick, Quebec - trying to see as much new territory as we can, before having to return home to Virginia before the end of June.

Any recommendations as to campgrounds, sights (and sites) not to miss, food that must be eaten - will be greatly appreciated. We're also thinking about trying to find courtesy parking outside of Boston to stash the rig while I have to put in an appearance downtown.

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
So many good places

We can't offer our driveway, too steep and a sharp turn. This is the reason we won't be taking our AS out this summer.

When in Maine, go to New Harbor & Pemaquid Point. I'm not sure about camping there. Pemaquid has an amazing light house perched on craggy rocks. New Harbor has a lobster shack that is out of this world. They store the lobsters under the dock, then bring them up as needed. Great Lobster! The place is packed, but there aren't that many cars....weird.

If you have extra time, take the boat from New Harbor to Monhegan Is. There are no cars on the island, lots of trails, and a quaint artsy village to explore.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Keep in mind New Brunswick, Quebec, and Maine are large areas. The drive from Boston to St John NB is more than 7 hours for most people. Looping up through Quebec City will add hundreds of miles. You're trying to see an area that is about the size of Colorado.

Since you seem to have about two weeks for all your travel, I would hit a few high spots in Maine and skip NB altogether. There's not that much in southern NB worth the trip IMHO, except Prince of Fundy National Park.

Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor should be high on your list if you like natural and scenic areas. All along the Maine coast there are interesting places to go as well.

Northern Maine is mostly about hiking, white water rafting, fishing, birding, and similar nature-oriented pursuits. Most of Quebec is open and flat with some interesting small towns, but the big attraction is usually Quebec City and the immediate area, or Montreal (not really on your flight path).

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking Parking

There are a ton of places and things to see up this way! We are about 60 miles North of Boston, close to Rt 95. If you need a spot mid week, you are welcome to stay over, have plenty of room (check out our web site) PM me if your interested...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm closer! (30 miles N). If you're in the wbcci, I know another guy that is even closer, still by a few miles, also right off 95, that offers c-parking.

I'll second what Rich and Uberlander said about coastal ME. and I'll add that there is a nice campground on the Pemaquid peninsula. I believe its called "lake pemaquid campground". its one of those larger, "resort" type places...good for kids and such.

my favorite campground is on the road to BoothBay Harbor...next peninsula to the west of Pemaquid. And I might add, another very scenic area to tour. "little ponderosa" is the name of it. its very state-park like...heavily wooded, good sized sites, yet, with private campground facilities. Even the full hookup sites are not in a parking lot type area, like with most campgrounds I've seen. very nice...quiet, cheap, too. http://www.littleponderosa.com
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for your quick help, guys. I'll get my map out and start working. I think rluhr's caution is a good one - I was not thinking about the distances; I had not worked on scale yet.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Down east

I would highly recommend that you spend at least a few days in some of the Eastern Canadian provinces (NB, NS, PEI or NFLD). Awesome seascapes, unbelievable seafood at pretty well any restaurant, and super-friendly people. BTW - I'm dead serious about super-friendly folk Down East. For someone from Ontario it's almost freaky, you start to wonder what it is that these people are after because no-one could possibly be that nice. After a while you start to realize that it's a widespread phenomenon - must be something in the water ! For example, if you had a problem finding a place to camp for the night you could probably mention it to one of the locals and have three different offers of places to park with hydro in people's yards or whatever.

If you speak French, you'll find getting around Quebec a bit easier, but don't let a language barrier stop you from touring "la Belle Province". When you're in Quebec, try to stop at a home-style cooking sort of restaurant and order some poutine (roughly pronounced poo-ten). This is the Quebecois contribution to the world of stuff that's bad for you, basically just home-made french-fries smothered in big fat cheese curds and gravy. Quite tasty when done right and guaranteed to induce a nap afterwards.

At any rate, wherever you wind up in your travels, enjoy! P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Found the campground at Pemaquid. Also the gift shop/cafe right near the lighthouse over looks the water and does a great breakfast.
http://www.midcoast.com/~ed/
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Courtesy Parking in RI

Hi Pat,

We offer courtesy parking in Rhode Island off of I-95. It takes us an hour to get to Boston. The Newport Mansions are a "must see". Johnson & Wales University here in RI produces the finest chefs. Soooooo... food in RI is excellent.

Interested in stopping by, please feel free to PM us. We'd love to have you stop over.

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for all your help. We are going to stay in Plymouth while I do a little part-time next week, then go to Little Ponderosa (thanks, Chuck) before heading up to Fundy Nat Park. We don't have a return plan yet, but are allowing 4 travel days so we can dawdle a bit going home.

Most of it will be new territory for us, so wish us luck. I'll post any good stuff I learn.

Pat