Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
New Brighton State Beach

Has anyone stayed at New Brighton near Santa Cruz, and what did you think of the place?
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Nice!

New Brighton SB is a great place. It has a lot of cypress and pine trees, it's on a bluff just above a beautiful sandy beach, the sites are nice large paved sites (recently renovated) with water and power available at some. Many of them have an ocean view and the premium sites are beachfront. It can get very crowded, especially in the summer. Close by to Capitola town and lots to do in the area.

Here is a pic from site 64 I think it was, looking toward the ocean...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Brighton SB_20061111_0395.JPG
Views:	1308
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	91301  
Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Hey Zug,

We stay there a couple time's a year. I would recommend any of the premium site's along the ocean # 69-88 or 14-22. If you can get these and that is a bid IF. Usually booked 6 months in advance. We also stayed in site 101 which is ok. Most of the sites are very open and no privacy. Try to stay out of the loop site's 1-43 except 14-22 which are on the ocean. If you can get a group together the group site are good. Also, try to stay away from the Freeway which at times can get a bit noisy. We were spotted last year by 08 Bambi a fellow member at New Brighton. If you go to Airstream Sightings page number 139 thread # 1937 you will see one of our site that was REAL BAD # 32. I hope this helps. See you at Casini.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I camp there once in a while. In fact we had my sons 21st b-day there. It's a little like camping in the driveway for me though, as it's a 25 minute drive from my house.
The location is very nice, though it can be quite windy sometimes. There's a lot to do and see in the area, like the Pacific Garden Mall, and the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, the Long marine lab, Henry Cowell Redwoods, Big Basin S.P., The Forest of Nisene Marks, and don't miss the Bigfoot Museum in Felton! It's a rare treat.

I understand there's a place you can boondock just up the coast a few miles north of Davenport too. Check in the forum under boondocking in northern California.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Campsite Info

It was me that 1953 Flying mentioned above. Sites 73-90 are the premium sites that back-up to the cliff. The beach is down about 100 feet...and it's a sheer cliff! The access is a trail that is close to site 90. Premium also means more expensive. The are very large sites.
Sites 47-55 are what they call "hook up" sites. Problem is they are just electricity and water---no sewer and IMO those sites are quite small.
We were in site 61. It was large, trees in the back and somewhat open towards the ocean. The photo that I have included is of our site looking North from about site 80 towards 61. You can check the campground map on the website where you reserve the site: Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica

In my opinion this is the nicest beach campground you'll find in the state.

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	91330  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote