Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Neighbors? Who'd have 'em?

A neighbor from up the street stopped to talk to my immediate neighbor and inquired if I was going to keep my Airstream on my driveway. My immediate neighbor, a trailer man himself, said that he didn't know but asked why the question was being raised. The far neighbor said that he thought there was a Zoning By-Law that prohibited having any RV on a driveway. He added, as a kind of threat, that the City don't normally worry unless a complaint is made. That wasn't nice!

Now this conversation is probably quite standard in neighborhoods such as mine except that the far neighbour and the near neighbor have known each other for years and he clearly knows the near neighbor stores his own trailer on his driveway in summer and his back yard in winter. So why the question about my Airstream? If he was right about the by-law then I might have to move my trailer but so would my near neighbor (as well as all the other RVs in the surrounding streets); so much for friends, eh?

Fortunately, my near neighbor high tailed it down to City Hall and found the relevant by-law. Apparently we can't store RVs on our drives in the winter months, but we can store TWO on our driveways in the summer, so the far neighbor was wrong.

I can't understand, though, why the far neighbor was moved to think about a complaint when he knew it would impact the near neighbor as well. Some people are just mean, I think. Fortunately, everyone else in the street thinks that Airstreams enhance the neighborhood; they've all been to have a look and approve, of course.

Near neighbor has his SOB on the drive now and even though it's not an Airstream, I kind of like it now!

If I had the money I'd get a second Airstream, just so the far neighbor has something to look at when we are away travelling.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thats right...if a complaint arises to the city, they will come and ask you to move it.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Toad, offer up your drive way during summer months for Airstream courtesy parking!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuckled View Post
Thats right...if a complaint arises to the city, they will come and ask you to move it.
We're OK in the Summer months and this being the great frozen north, the Airstream is going into winter hibernation at the dealers' yard, so no by-laws will broken, thank goodness!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We live in a kind of high end community on the ocean in the Florida Panhandle. Our house is on an ally. We are three houses off of the ocean. We keep Lucy there when she is not traveling. Some neighbors don't like it. The covenants and restrictions don't prohibit Lucy being there. The one neighbor whose wife hates Lucy came by and told me that Lucy detracts from the neighborhood. I told him to call the Police.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Sounds to me like the answer is to have a rally right there in the streets and give the far neighbor something to really gripe about. I swear some people just can’t stand it they have to be in everyone’s business.
Maybe he is just jealous that he doesn’t have an Airstream to display in his driveway.
I’m very fortunate that I live in the country and can park my AS anywhere within 20 acres and it’s not a problem.
Sorry for your troubles, Hope it works out and he minds his own business.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if your neighbor has a problem with where you keep your trailer, maybe he/she should talk to you directly and explain exactly what bothers him. It's against the rules here too, but nothing is done unless someone makes a complaint and then only the RV that was complained about will have to move, not all of the RV's in this city. I feel that around here people won't turn in a complaint because you can always complain about their barking dog, there expired license plates, their tree hanging over the property line, Etc. Etc.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I have an anonymous neighbor that sends me letters in the mail telling me to pull weeds or do other enhancements to my yard. I think he gave up after I started the second airstream restoration on my driveway. Most people dig it, others turn their nose up, that's their choice, fine with me.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The anti-RV natives have been getting restless in certain jurisdictions here too.
They do not like the typical white-box trailers and humungous Class A's blighting the neighbourhood.

There are few Airstreams here; don't know what the reaction would be to one. I am parked in a remote driveway not visible to the street, so have not been privy to any complaints.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I won't live in a neighborhood with too many restrictions. Fortunately the only HOA I have to deal with is my MIL. We live on 40+ acres, basic rule is keep the trucks, tractors, trailers (and RV's) in a neat line up by the barn, move em when you mow. and don't leave the JD in the driveway when she needs to get out

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
and don't leave the JD in the driveway when she needs to get out

Aaron
Is there a rule against leaving the JD in the driveway so she can't come back?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Even with our permit, (look close, you can see it hanging from our "party storks" foot), some of my Brother's neighbors in Simi Valley were not thrilled about Cloudsplitter sitting in the street during our visit last year.

No account for poor taste I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07237.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	132122  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

If I had the money I'd get a second Airstream, just so the far neighbor has something to look at when we are away travelling.
Want to borrow one, that needs a lot of work, for the summer.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

We keep ours in the drive by the garage but we have lots of space between houses. It is definitely in plain view. The neighbors do plant lots of trees.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote