Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Weather idling the motor or operating the engine block heater to warm up the motor, I don't see how either will warm the transmission allowing it to shift better.

Dan

Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #72
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Pulling out of the campground and driving away slowly until your truck warms up will not only warm your truck up much faster, but will also stop annoying everyone else in your half of the campground while it does. Some people enjoy sleeping in as part of their vacation.

Ken

Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Best auxilliary heater

We have an oil filled heater that looks like the old "radiator" type heaters. It is the best thing ever for the trailer. Makes no noise, pulls very little electricity once the oil is hot, and is just one of the best things we ever purchased for the trailer. It's 1500 watts.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #74

My most annoying camping noise experience.

We were camped in Colter Bay campground. The sites are reasonably close to each other. Next to us was one of those sun blocking oversized 5th wheels. It was obviously a couple in their 50's or so. With them were their daughter, her husband and a baby still in diapers. For some reason, I could not fathom, the young couple obviously had a large percentage of their personal effects, including all the baby's paraphernalia in their car rather than the trailer. Their car was as near to the bedroom part of our trailer as it could be and still be in their camp space. They were constantly back and forth from the trailer to their car the whole time they were there. This included several trips during the middle of every night. Every time they accessed their car, they would unlock and relock their car. So far this is not to bad. What made is extremely annoying is that they had their car setup up so that every locking and unlocking caused one or two beeps on their car horn. I decided that anyone one that clueless would not understand the problem if explained to them. So we put up with it until they left which luckily was in about 2 days.

Ken
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #75

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
So this heater you describe warms up the transmission fluid? Because, you know, that was the issue I mentioned.
If your transmission cooling lines still pass through the radiator (in addition to a larger external cooler) then having the coolant warm when you start is going to heat the transmission fluid faster than from a cold start, assuming there's not some thermostat preventing flow through those lines until the transmission's internal temperature comes up.

I wonder if there's an issue with your transmission or the type of fluid in it, though. My F150's 4R75E shifts well enough rolling away at 20F just after a start. I realize the 5-speed Torqshift in your Superduty is a different transmission, but it's a newer design than mine, I'd expect it to be better not worse.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Why do you need your transmission to shift out of first gear in a camping loop? It will warm up much faster in gear when the torque converter is slipping generating heat. The engine will warm up much faster under load as well.

Perry
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Perry. I agree. Drive slowly in first, it is safer anyway. By the time you are out on the main road, the truck should shift, jim
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The transmission and engine are bolted together, thus heat moves through the metal and fluids and will eventually get to the transmission. It will take time, but an engine or oil heater could help.

Driving in 1st gear is a quick way to warm up everything. And if it won't shift out of 1st right away, something may be wrong. Wrong fluid in the transmission could be the answer—who changed the oil last? Oil change stores have been known to use the wrong stuff.

Gene
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #79
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
If you need to keep the fluids warm

One of these for your coolant
Amazon.com: Kat's 12050 500 Watt External Tank Heater: Automotive
and one of these for your XMSN pan
Amazon.com: Kat's 24250 250 Watt 4"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater: Automotive

Might need more watts for a monster truck.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I recall correctly, the owners manual for my Duramax recommends warming up while driving chill for a few miles.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If I recall correctly, the owners manual for my Duramax recommends warming up while driving chill for a few miles.
That is the advice most often given for modern cars.

I copied this from MSN autos, because it was handy.

Myth: Let your engine warm up for several minutes before driving.
Reality:
That might have been good advice for yesteryear's cars but is less so today. Modern engines warm up more quickly when they're driven. And the sooner they warm up, the sooner they reach maximum efficiency and deliver the best fuel economy and performance. But don't rev the engine high over the first few miles while it's warming up.

Seems like common sense to me

Not mentioned so far is the pollution caused when a vehicle is idling. That is especially obnoxious in the tight quarters of a campground.

Ken
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I never was one to warm up my vehicles before driving, I for sure don't think I would warm up a diesel in a campground early in the morning. But that is just me, and beside this, I am spending my first night in a campground ever right now. Even more, my AS is the only thing on the lot....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've been discussing issues that have been raised by this post which was quoted by Slowmover:

"Because it takes quite a while for our truck to warm up to the point where it's usable and will shift out of first gear.

"Until a week or so ago, I thought this was completely normal for our truck, but it turns out it's not - apparently there are a couple issues that should be resolved today. Hopefully I won't have to do this any more. But we'll still probably warm it up at least a few minutes on those cold mornings before taking off, just like we would with a gas vehicle."

I tried to find the original post and couldn't, but maybe I missed it. I would like to know what the resolution to the issues were. But it and some subsequent posts show that habits learned during a previous era are hard to break and are no longer necessary, so some history—

Long ago when there was a choke on the dashboard, or even later when there were automatic chokes, you had to wait for a while. The engine would stall or run badly if you tried to drive a cold engine. You had to let in the choke slowly, or hope the automatic choke worked well (too often they didn't), and when the engine had warmed a bit and the carburetor was happy, you could drive away. If you didn't wait, the vehicle would run poorly until the engine warmed. With fuel injection and computers none of this is necessary. But the transmission that won't shift is another issue.

Another thing that has almost disappeared is gunning the engine before you turn off the ignition. I am guessing the reason was to leave extra fuel in the carburetor to make it easier to start. The idea of a choke is to choke off most of the air coming into the carburetor because the engine would start easier with a fuel rich mixture—adding some gas to the carburetor before you shut it off might make the mixture even richer. I never found this to work, but I have in recent years on rare occasions heard someone do it even though fuel injection makes it unnecessary (if it ever worked).

My experience is almost entirely with gas engines, not diesel. But diesel has always been fuel injected and computers have been with us for 30 years now. Before that diesels could be very hard to start in cold weather and took forever to warm up. In the late '70's. I did drive some big diesels and froze until they (and the heater) warmed up many miles down the road, but the transmission shifted fine. If they were left to idle when cold, they would hardly warm up at all; you had to drive them.

I do not miss carburetors even though I knew how they worked and how to rebuild them and am clueless with fuel injection and computers. Of course, if I want to play with them, small engines for snowblowers, RV generators, riding mowers and the like still have them and chokes too.

I still think the simplest answer to the transmission issue is the wrong fluid—if it is too thick, especially in winter, an automatic is not going to shift until the fluid gets warm.

The thread started with heat pump noise and as threads do, wandered into noise generally and then to people running engines to warm them up. I agree some diesels are really noisy when cold and sometimes when warm (usually when I hear a really loud one I see "Ford" on the vehicle). I do not like listening to them either. I always hope they drive away very soon. People who say something to the effect—"if you don't like the noise my machines are making, leave", do not have my respect. It has nothing to do with who was first in the campground; it does have a lot to do with fairness. I know some people are oversensitive and some approach you only after trying to stand it for a while and have become angry, but it is best to hear them out, put yourself in their place and work out a solution.

Gene
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
We've been discussing issues that have been raised by this post which was quoted by Slowmover:

"Because it takes quite a while for our truck to warm up to the point where it's usable and will shift out of first gear.

"Until a week or so ago, I thought this was completely normal for our truck, but it turns out it's not - apparently there are a couple issues that should be resolved today. Hopefully I won't have to do this any more. But we'll still probably warm it up at least a few minutes on those cold mornings before taking off, just like we would with a gas vehicle."

I tried to find the original post and couldn't, but maybe I missed it.

Gene
Post #58

Ken