Old 02-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Good of you! The heat pump Is loud and inefficient - I never use it at night. The furnace is much quieter and more effective.
I respect the environment of a campground, yet was surprised by a knock on the door one night at Navajo Nat'l Monument by neighboring tent campers asking me if I was going to "run that machine all night". It was the refrigerator fan that was bothering them! I disconnected the fan - no problem.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
What the heck kind of fan do you have for that frig????

Old 02-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Now if you want to talk about obnoxious then consider the folks who start their diesel vehicles up and let them idle and "warm up" before they drive away. Especially loud are the Cummins diesels found on the Dodge trucks. It seems to be a frequent occurrence.
Since you went there, I'll address this. We do this from time to time, in colder weather (which is what this thread is about). Why? Because it takes quite a while for our truck to warm up to the point where it's usable and will shift out of first gear.

Until a week or so ago, I thought this was completely normal for our truck, but it turns out it's not - apparently there are a couple issues that should be resolved today. Hopefully I won't have to do this any more. But we'll still probably warm it up at least a few minutes on those cold mornings before taking off, just like we would with a gas vehicle.

In the summer, I fire it up, drop it in gear, and go, within a couple minutes, much like anyone would with a gas vehicle.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Would you go to a sporting event and ask the person next to you not to cheer?Having tent camped more than RV camped, I can say that whenever I looked for a site on my little map I would always look for the ones with the little triangle (tent camping) only and no vehicle symbols (RV camping). Occasionally I was unable to find a separate tenter site , but would camp as far away from RVs as possible. If I was there, it was out of necessity and I was on their turf. It would often be to find a site with shower facilities. I would have considered it my responsibility to move or move on.
But back to the sporting event... If someone was using excessive profanity ( I have been there), I would politely indicate my objection, particularly if young children were present. So tying this back in-- some noises may still be excessive and that is why generator cut-offs exist.
To me the key is the attitude. You have the right to proper maintained and running fridge and heat/cooling and they have the right to ear plugs. Both have the right to relocate. Being there first and set up does give the right of way. But if someone comes to me with an attitude of "you need to turn that darn thing off," I may be more likely to fall back on my rights than be overly considerate to a rude person who is not offering the same. Not saying that is how it went down here, but manners factor in bigtime. There are rules, bit it is definitely situational with the human element weighing in heavily. I usually try to take the high road and don't mind helping out.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In private campgrounds, tent sites and RV sites are usually separated, though at some places some are adjacent. But separation does help reduce conflict. It is only in public CG's they are next to each other. When we tent camped we didn't stay in either kind since we backpacked or stayed in tent only CG's. Even then there might be other tenters around and they could be difficult to be near.

For the most part I think the conflicts are minor and can be easily resolved. But, when people are easily offended and oversensitive, then conflicts escalate. The same things happen in apartment houses (I once lived under someone who seemed to drop a blowing ball on the floor every hour or two). But you can't move from an apartment every few days. It takes patience, an appreciation of the other's point of view and compromise to settle these things. Calling a ranger in a public CG is fruitless (budget cuts)—you might find a camp host, and might not. In a private CG, you have a better chance of finding someone to help.

I think some are quite intolerant of what it is like to be in a tent. Tenters like camping too. Someday they may have an RV and I hope they don't forget what it was like to be in a tent.

We've camped near tents and never had a complaint. If we've had to run a generator, I try to use it sparingly and only in midday. If there is electricity (why would someone in a tent need electricity—to make toast?), we use the ceramic heater until only the furnace can heat the trailer. I do think the heat pump, as described above, makes more noise than an A/C, but different ones are different. I sometimes leave the patio light on at night because we forget to turn it off, but we try to remember it can be blinding to someone nearby whether they're in a tent or RV. It costs us little or nothing to be respectful of others and I am glad not to be camped near some of those with a "screw you if you don't like it" attitude.

Gene
Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
What the heck kind of fan do you have for that frig????

It's just the standard refrigerator fin cooling fan on the 2012 FC. I must admit that it is loud on a quiet night. I often turn it off on cool nights. No sweat, no spoiled food.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
It's just the standard refrigerator fin cooling fan on the 2012 FC. I must admit that it is loud on a quiet night. I often turn it off on cool nights. No sweat, no spoiled food.
Its hard to believe a tenter would complain about a fan inside your camper, does it keep you awake? Im surprised they can even hear it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Its hard to believe a tenter would complain about a fan inside your camper, does it keep you awake? Im surprised they can even hear it.

The fan is not inside, it is just behind the louvered refrigerator vent on the side of the trailer. It is louder than it should be for the function. Not a brilliant design by Airstream. The point that I tried to illustrate was about respecting the quiet of a campground and easily defusing a confrontation. In this case the partner of the complainer apologized to me in the morning and we had a nice conversation.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Excellent call on defusing a confrontation. Is the hum from an air conditioning unit considered too loud for a campground?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #65
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Excellent call on defusing a confrontation. Is the hum from an air conditioning unit considered too loud for a campground?
Only if yours is the only one running.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #66
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Because it takes quite a while for our truck to warm up to the point where it's usable and will shift out of first gear.

Until a week or so ago, I thought this was completely normal for our truck, but it turns out it's not - apparently there are a couple issues that should be resolved today. Hopefully I won't have to do this any more. But we'll still probably warm it up at least a few minutes on those cold mornings before taking off, just like we would with a gas vehicle.

Just plug in the coolant heater (the "block heater"). Idling does next to no real warm-up (and shortens the already short FORD diesel engine life); a block heater will bring coolant temp in mine to 115F in any weather in about ninety-minutes (just leave plugged in overnight). An engine oil pan heater (aftermarket; KIMM or FOX) can also be added.

Same is true for any gas vehicle. There are solutions, and extended idling is never one of them.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Because it takes quite a while for our truck to warm up to the point where it's usable and will shift out of first gear.

Just plug in the coolant heater (the "block heater"). Idling does next to no real warm-up (and shortens the already short FORD diesel engine life); a block heater will bring coolant temp in mine to 115F in any weather in about ninety-minutes (just leave plugged in overnight). An engine oil pan heater (aftermarket; KIMM or FOX) can also be added.

Same is true for any gas vehicle. There are solutions, and extended idling is never one of them.

The block heater only heats the oil. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

"Extended" in this case is maybe 10 minutes, tops. Let's not overstate it.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Many campgrounds do have separate tenting areas. Even those that do, tho, can have tents, pop-ups, etc., in sections for rv's.

I think that a lot of folks in tents are not actually rustic campers.

They have screen rooms with a table within, upon which sit the coffee pot, crock pot, electric skillet, etc. Therefore, needing and wanting electricity just like others.

I suspect that any outside noise can be disturbing to unprepared tenters, whether that is a door, water pump, dog bark, etc. They are the routine noises of daily living.

We try to be quiet at early hours, but some folks are just unreasonable.

The op here may have run into one of those, or a novice who hadn't figured out the benefit of earplugs.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile hp noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
The block heater only heats the oil. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

"Extended" in this case is maybe 10 minutes, tops. Let's not overstate it.
Block heater only heats coolant not oil you need oil pan heater as
slomover posted or some other source to warm oil in engine..... Bill
Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Block heater only heats coolant not oil you need oil pan heater as
slomover posted or some other source to warm oil in engine..... Bill
So this heater you describe warms up the transmission fluid? Because, you know, that was the issue I mentioned.